Best Senior Dog Food?

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
vishvanaar

Best Senior Dog Food?

Post by vishvanaar »

I have a 10 year old German Shepherd with arthritis in her hips. My vet had us buy a $70 bag of Science Diet food, but I heard really bad things about it while researching so I want to switch. I need recommendations because our vet swears by Science Diet.
critters
Founding Member

Re: Best Senior Dog Food?

Post by critters »

:whale: I don't know that you'll ever get The Perfect Answer to that question! :D
Christine

Post by Christine »

A good friend of mine owns a health food store and is an animal lover. She uses this dogfood and now so do I. I buy it from www.chewy.com because it is less than my friend has to charge (and she is totally fine with that!). If you order $50 worth, shipping is free so I add a bag of treats to bring it to the minimum. My dog loves it and my cat tries to steal it.

Nature's Recipe Grain-Free Chicken, Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Recipe Dry Dog Food, 24-lb bag $46.79
Nature's Recipe Chicken Recipe with Sweet Potatoes & Apples Oven Baked Chewy Dog Treats, 5.5-oz bag $ 3.59

I give her a cup in the morning and a cup in the evening (she weighs about 52 pounds) and it lasts me 6-7 weeks.

You might want to check www.nzymes.com for their products for arthritis. They have some great videos showing phenomenal results - not expensive - natural and maybe worth a try.

:welcomeheart:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I've been happy with Science Diet dry dog food. I agree it isn't cheap, but the senior dogs have all done well on it. We've been using it since around 1996 maybe? I'm not sure on the year, but we've been using it a long time.
Amoore20

Post by Amoore20 »

I cook for my pet. I make her turkey loaf and she loves it.

Lean ground turkey, carrots, string beans, parsley, sweet potato. Then I sprinkle her vitamins in her food bowl and add fish oil. She has earned this treatment after 12 years.