Advice needed for my senior dog

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
Juxtapoze

Advice needed for my senior dog

Post by Juxtapoze »

Hi! I'm new here and need some advice please.
My senior dog, Winter, is a 19 y.o. poodle/terrier mix who is blind, hard of hearing, and has Cushing's disease. All of his adult life, minus the last year, he was very well house-trained. Now he urinates inside, but for #2 he barks to be let out. Because of the Cushing's he is often hungry but only prefers wet food, for which he also barks relentlessly. I keep dry food available 24/7 to him and our other 4 young dogs.
The advice I need is regarding him urinating inside. I suspect he might have lost his training due to a new human member in the family, but I'm not sure if it can be attributed to that or the Cushing's. It's not that he is incontinent, he can control it. The times I've caught him in the act I've followed protocol for re-training, such as whisking him outside and rewarding him for successful outings, but it doesn't seem to work. The other 4 dogs are house-trained, no problem there. Is there another method or solution that is recommended? Or must I resign to laying down wee-wee pads all over the house?
I read through other posts and visited www.vetpetpartners.com but there was no helpful info there.
Thank you for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for your reply!! :D
CarolC

Re: Advice needed for my senior dog

Post by CarolC »

I think he just needs a malewrap (also called belly band, or male doggie diaper).
It's a wide belt that goes around his waist with velcro, and you stick an absorbent pad in it.
My senior dog wore one 24/7/365 for 2 years. Malewraps are your friend. :wink:
Buy at least two, one to wash and one to wear.
You'll want some kind of barrier cream to put on his skin to prevent diaper rash. You can use Desitin ointment (with zinc oxide) as long as he does not lick it. If he tries to lick it, then you need to use something without zinc, such as original A&D ointment or plain old Vaseline. Desitin works best...as long as he doesn't lick it.

:malewrap:
critters
Founding Member

Re: Advice needed for my senior dog

Post by critters »

Personally, I'd suggest more than 2 wraps, because I HATE being stuck with all of the pee patrol stuff being peedy! I prefer too many to too few, especially if price is reasonable.