elderly dog with increasing motor problem

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
claragontijo

elderly dog with increasing motor problem

Post by claragontijo »

Hello,

I’m brazilian but I’ll live in the USA for some years, so I thought that was a good chance to try minimize my little dog problem whit american products.
We look for many veterinarians and treatments but every passing year our dog loses the ability to walk. Acupuncture has effect for some time but is no longer effective, although keep fortnightly treatment. In our city veterinary medicine is precarious, we have no orthoses provider or wheelchairs, everything is very difficult and expensive. I found this site with a lot of interesting equipments so I really would like to buy something to try raise the life’s quality of my dog.

In this video you could see she trying to walk on a flat floor, but even in adherent floors her difficulty it’s growing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok1tbrW1YeU
another video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgBqFpzYbDA

She’s 13 years old today. As a puppy she had shakes on its hind legs, diagnosed a neurological disorder, but she could walk normally, up and down stairs, and had a healthy and happy life until we realized she was losing the ability to walk. The last differential diagnosis (05/13/2014)was suspected Syndrome of Chiari malformation and cerebellar hypoplasia, we tried a drug treatment but it did not work, actually worsened so we suspended (Gabapentin 10 mg / kg furosemide 1 mg / kg BID, prednisone 0.25 mg / kg). Although old she is very restless, get up to drink water all the time, with much difficulty, can no longer balance to pee and often falls on ... is very sad for us.

I really need some kind off help. You know a similar case? Any medical treatment, or a supplement to minimize this type of problem? a wheelchair would be suitable for her?

Sorry for my bad english and thank you to anyone who can help me!
CarolC

Re: elderly dog with increasing motor problem

Post by CarolC »

Hi,
The videos are listed as Private so I cannot view them.
Can you please change them to either Unlisted or Public?
:thankyou:
claragontijo

Post by claragontijo »

CarolC wrote:Hi,
The videos are listed as Private so I cannot view them.
Can you please change them to either Unlisted or Public?
Hi Carol,
thank you for your message and I'm sorry for this, I changed the configuration and it's released now.
Please let me know if you still find problems in the video.
Thank you!
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Start with providing a better surface- put rugs down so she can get her footing. Even with a wheelchair she'd need better surfaces to walk on.

One way to help decide if a wheelchair would help is to make a sling by putting a couple of holes in a towel or scarf and using it to support her back end as she walks. If she can walk easily this way, then a wheelchair would likely help.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
claragontijo

Post by claragontijo »

Thanks for the tip of the wheelchair, my mother and sister did the test now to see if the chair would be a good option and unfortunately she does not have much strength in the front legs ... can walk a little but drops significantly...
In fact the surface that she stay the most part off time is more adherent, the video was just to highlight the problem. Inside house we use rubber mats to cover the floor where she stay...
thank you for your help Bobbie.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

You could do a four-wheel cart but with the cost of getting one where you are and the probably limited time she'd have to use it I'm not sure I would.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Oh she is PRECIOUS! I'm in love! :hearts: Chihuahuas are my favorite. :wub:
I agree she needs more rugs. I know you said most of the surfaces she goes on have more friction, but all of the other places (like the tile floors in the video) need rugs. I am glad you have rubber mats inside where she stays. I had to put rugs on all my slippery floors when my golden retriever began having trouble walking. They helping him continue walking a while longer.

Your little dog is really doing pretty well, she walks pretty well, she is just having trouble on slippery surfaces and climbing the step. I do not know if a ramp would help her but you could make a ramp (with carpeting for a good surface) and see if she can go up that step on the ramp. I would make the ramp wide. When you have a good ramp, humans like it, too. I got a ramp for my dogs, but I like it, too. Only a gentle slope, not a steep slope.

Since you tested her front feet and she is not too strong, then a wheelchair would not be much help. The 4-wheel carts hold the dog up in a standing position, but they do not give much freedom or independence, partly because by the time they need one most dogs do not have much of strength.

You said she is drinking a lot of water. Have you had her tested for renal insufficiency? It is possible she has kidney trouble.

Also, have you had her checked for a heart murmur? Chihuahuas are a breed that is prone to develop heart valve disease.

Sometimes if a dog has an underlying neurological problem which has not been too bad for years, it becomes more visible when another health problem causes the dog to lose strength. For example if the dog has kidney trouble or heart trouble, the weakness could make it look like the neurological problem is getting worse. Maybe the neurological problem is getting worse, or maybe it only appears worse because of other health conditions making her weaker. I would recommend a senior examination at the vet.

If she was my dog I think I would just do my best to make the world easier for her. Carpets everywhere.

If she just needs help standing when she tries to urinate, you might try putting a leash under her belly. If you get a leash made for a bigger dog, which is wide enough (like an inch wide) it may be all she needs to keep her balance. Or if you have a long belt or scarf or anything like that which you can use to support her.

Here is another idea:
http://www.dodgerslist.com/literature/c ... igure8.jpg
http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... 182#p63182 (picture of homemade sling)

I really enjoyed the videos. :wub:
claragontijo

Post by claragontijo »

Carol, Thank you for your caring and helpful message. I liked the idea of putting a leash under her belly, let's try this.

Sometimes I feel desperate and sad for not having much to do for her, but I think I did what I could, now my family continues to do what they can. I thank everyone for the tips, I think I created this topic in one of those moments of despair... I'm away from her, I miss her a lot, I care about her well-being and wish I could do more, but I can not...

Her health tests are good, the veterinarian makes acupuncture 15 to 15 days and renew the tests periodically. We have already inquired about the kidneys and everything is fine, thankfully ... I have to accept that the problem is the age ... the white hair, the thinner body, weakness ... she is a warrior, always keeps strong. My old lovely baby...