My 15 old cat won't drink.

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
dawnlisa.k@gmail.com

My 15 old cat won't drink.

Post by dawnlisa.k@gmail.com »

Hi,
My 15 year old female cat will not drink, no matter what I put water in. She is however eating her wet food peeing and pooping. I'm giving her water by dropper, is there something else I should try. I don't have money for a vet
CarolC

Re: My 15 old cat won't drink.

Post by CarolC »

Maybe you could mix a little extra water into her canned food? They say when you are giving water to a cat by syringe, it does not give an adequate amount for what the cat really needs. Do you think she would drink some cat milk? Whiskas makes cat milk that comes in little pink boxes like juice boxes, they sell it at my local grocery store. It is a little expensive but you can get several servings out of one box and it comes 3 boxes per package...maybe $3-something per pack? Honestly, I know many people say cats should not be given regular milk, but in the old days we did it and never knew there was any problem. When I was growing up we had an outdoor cat who got plain whole milk twice a day for 17 years...

If you can't afford the vet but feel you need to take her, there is something called Care Credit that is a loan for emergency vet care. The terms are good and most people I've known who applied were approved. You can look them up online http://www.carecredit.com or many vets will have the application in the waiting room and submit it for you right there while you wait. They let you know right away if you are approved. Ideally, it sounds like she might benefit from some sub-q fluids and a checkup, if possible.

Since she is still urinating, perhaps she is drinking, just not when you see her? Cats will sometimes drink "by stealth" and you don't notice it, but they really are drinking. Perhaps you might also try putting a few extra water bowls around in different locations for her to choose from.
dawnlisa.k@gmail.com

Thank you so much for replying all of those are wonderful ideas that I definitely will try
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

How about putting a little meat juice in her water? You have to watch that it doesn't go bad, though. If it's hot, you could freeze it into ice cubes. I, too, have been known to put extra water into canned food, and it's fairly easy, too.

Most of my furs are NOT lactose-intolerant, so I agree with Carol that that's an option if your girl isn't, either.

:whale:
dawnlisa.k@gmail.com

I soaked her bottom for 20 minutes in warm water, gave her canned food with a teaspoon of warm water and within the next 6 hours she was pooping again and drinking her water. I have cups of water throughout the house that she drinks and now all the time. Thank you so much for all of your advise!