8 Year Old Dog just had a stroke- Advice

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
Jhocker

8 Year Old Dog just had a stroke- Advice

Post by Jhocker »

Hello! My 8 year old dog had a stroke on Sunday. I don't know the time of day he had the stroke but by evening he was experiencing blindness in his right eye and was not doing his normal routine. I already had an appointment scheduled with my vet for Monday. (He also has hip dysplasia so he gets acupuncture treatments regularly.) He is actually moving well for having a stroke... he gravitates right and usually hits something and falls down, but he is able to pee standing up. However, when he poops he gets dizzy and falls down and finishes laying down. We have started working on me helping him while he poops, but it is a learning process. He eats and drinks water just fine. I just would love any advice.... what types of exercises should I be doing with him? Would you do blood work to find out what caused the stroke? Can it even be determined? Any information is very very much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Jessica
Jhocker

Re: 8 Year Old Dog just had a stroke- Advice

Post by Jhocker »

I should probably clarify. He has already been to vet and she said he is on his way to recovery! :) I just want extra info on what anyone else has done to help their dog progressand be comfortable in the healing process.
critters
Founding Member

Re: 8 Year Old Dog just had a stroke- Advice

Post by critters »

:slant: Do you know about walking aids? You could help him balance while pooping.