senior dog has trouble walking

Please post any questions you have about aging or senior health issues here.
rrrosanne

senior dog has trouble walking

Post by rrrosanne »

My 13 year old English Bulldog is having trouble walking due to arthritis. He pees on a wee wee pad, but until now I've been taking him outside to poop, but it's getting harder for him to walk. How do I train him to poop on the pad too?
SissysMomma2016

Re: senior dog has trouble walking

Post by SissysMomma2016 »

that is a hard one specially since your dog is older. if your dog was younger i would say try crate training. that way he gets used to going potty on the pad in a small area and knows its okay.
maybe you can still try it out. i know crate training seems mean but it worked for me every time.
best of luck!
and also not getting upset when your dog misses the pad. just use the pad so he can see that , thats what that pad is for. and praise him when he uses and pad.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Have you seen the Poop on Demand ideas to make him poop? Have you considered a walking aid or a wheelchair (cart) to make it easier for him to get around?

:strobe:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It partly depends on the dog. My one dog that uses potty pads could probably squat on one pad and wet it just fine without missing. But for Number Two she needs space to squat-walk because she does not simply squat and doodle, she gets in a squatting position and then kind of walks while squatting until business is done. So in order for her to do her business inside we need an area of potty pads that is about 8' x 8'. This may have nothing to do with your dog, but just an observation.