Would like to adopt "lethal white"...

Post here if you would like to adopt a special needs pet.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
highlandmary33

Would like to adopt "lethal white"...

Post by highlandmary33 »

My last "best friend", an Aussie/Border X adopted as a 4 year old from a FL shelter, passed on this last December from brain & lung cancer. I am now hoping to find a new 4-legged friend to share life with!

I am very interested in adopting a LW Aussie or Aussie/Border mix; however, it seems that they are all in CA, AZ or the Southeast. I am presently in Iowa and have not seen any LW's here in the midwest. Should anyone run across one in the midwest, I would appreciate being contacted. I am very open to an adult LW, as I don't believe they are given as many chances as the "cute little puppies" that everyone seems to want instead.

I am also interested in finding anyone who may be working in Pet Therapy - primarily those who are working with deaf/blind children with their LW.

I can be contacted at: highlandmary33@yahoo.com

Sincerely - Mary
My old best friend - the day I adopted her!
My old best friend - the day I adopted her!
My old best friend - late last year, 2008.
My old best friend - late last year, 2008.
:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:
puremutt

Re: Would like to adopt "lethal white"...

Post by puremutt »

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww I have tears in my eyes looking at the last picture.
I also have a couple of pictures of my dog in his last months, aren't they just the most loveable innocent pets!
I have a website for you here, you can click on the breed and age you are looking for;I wish I could adopt them all!

http://adoptions.bestfriends.org/Defaul ... 4294967262
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
highlandmary33

Post by highlandmary33 »

Thank you so much for the very kind reply.

Yes, I look at the Best Friends site all the time!!! Unfortunately, their dogs are clear out in Utah (& Cali) - too far away :( for me here in Iowa.

Thank you though.
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Yes I realise that :?
But there is also an transportation forum on this site, maybe if you adopt one sight unseen they can bring him to you.
Or did you ask the shelthers around you to keep an eye out for you?
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Christine

Post by Christine »

Hi Mary....

and Welcome!!! You don't even realize how lucky you are to have found us. One of our moderators is earth's guardian angel to Lethal Whites. Her name is Karen Anderson, her screen name is GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily and here are her websites.

Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/

She will be along soon. I am sorry for your loss.

Again, welcome, we are glad you are here.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
highlandmary33

Post by highlandmary33 »

To puremtt: ("my bad" - doh!) No, I didn't realize that that was what the transportation area here was for. Guess I thought it was ONLY for shelters/official rescues looking for people to do transports. Thanks!

To Christine: thank you for the nice note and the information about Karen! I look forward to hearing more...

:thankyou:
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

MARY! Please join our yahoogroup as we have a BUNCH looking for their furrever families. Don't let distance intimidate you. We belong to national rescue railroads and one of us has pull with Pilots Paws!

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Leth ... sieRescue/

I met Eli when he was a tiny baby. He is still a puppy but very big! He is so beautiful, and being fostered by DedeSplitt@yahoo.com for gA ARPH. Carole also has our coverpup Max whose abilities keep shining through.
I would have been THRILLED to adopt Eli, but at the time he was small enough to acclimate to my own deafblind, I had Possum ... a foster from TX, whose issues completely unrelated to her homozygous genetic defect made her not just unadoptable, but her pain had to be ended. Had I known, I would have adopted Eli. He is a beauty!
Please join our yahoogroup, as we have so many coming in every day! I also like to search petfinder, Australian Shepherd, special needs.
They are dying every day. Your rescue will be beyond important and we will stand by you and work through any issues a handicappedpet may have.

Our coverpup is Max in Statesboro GA. He has come so far because someone believed in him!
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING! THANK YOU!
Attachments
Eli & Nana.jpg
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Chris W

Post by Chris W »

I'm not sure that Chucky isn't also too far away, but he's a "lucky" lethal in that he has vision and hearing, and is being fostered in MI (even though his rescue group is Almost Home Dog Rescue of Ohio)

His bio:
Chucky is a new arrival. He's a 3 year old Aussie (Australian Shepherd) who's not just super sweet but a very intelligent boy as well! His white and blue merle coat is soft and silky. He loves everyone and is great with kids. He gets along well with other dogs, young or old. He's still not sure what he thinks of cats. He pretty much just leaves them alone unless they run, and then he's off for the chase! I don't think that he'd ever hurt one, even if he could catch up to them!

He has the most gorgeous blue eyes that just light up when he looks at you. He loves to snuggle up to his people on the sofa and just maybe get a nice belly rub. Chucky is housebroken, crate trained, walks well on a leash and knows some basic commands – come, sit, down and heel. He also readily comes to his name and will follow you around from room to room helping you in all that you do! Chucky barks very seldom, usually only when startled (large horses will do that to a guy!) He’s a great dog for an active couple or family. He loves to go for walks, jogging, running and playing. He wouldn’t be the best choice for an elderly couple or a family with babies or toddlers. He sometimes forgets himself in his exuberance! His foster mom and dad are having a great time teaching him some new fun stuff to do! So that’s what they made balls, Frisbees and hoola hoops for – Chucky!
Attachments
Chucky in MI.jpg
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:whale: Chris W!!
Chris W

Post by Chris W »

Thanks - mostly I just lurk and learn what I can, but for once I actually had something to add!
highlandmary33

Post by highlandmary33 »

Hi - thank you all for all of your replies!!

Things have been absolutely crazy over the past 6-7 weeks that I haven't had the time to get back on here...

I was able to find a sweet little LW girl down in Texas back in May. The jerk breeder had already put down her sibling, (just because it was blind) and was about to do the same to my little sweetie because she is deaf. [She also has limited vision - micropthalmia & her pupils don't dialate closed.]

Have always rescued older adult dogs in the past so having a 6 month old around the house has been a challenge to say the least! (I keep telling my son that if I hadn't already gone through the "terrible twos" with him - and survived it! - I would have already gone crazy by now.) It is SOOOOO just like having a two year old kid around again... "No, No. Take that out of your mouth. No, No. You can eat that. No, no. Don't put that in your mouth." Just when you think you have the place "baby proofed" - out she comes carrying something else you'd forgotten to hide away! LOL Keeps ya on yours toes!

Her name is "Anam Cara", it means "soul friend" in Gaelic. Though she has earned the nickname of, "Frappacino" now. She's always been really good about responding to my wagging finger and big 'frowny face' whenever she was doing something she was not supposed to be doing. However, the other day when I bought one of my guilty pleasures, a Frappacino from Starbucks, she got one whiff of it and I litterally had to fight her for it! ;-)!

Just as soon as I get off my lazier than usual rear here, I will get some pics up of her.

:thankyou:

Mary