Really would like to adopt a special needs BULLDOG PUPPY

Post here if you would like to adopt a special needs pet.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ the Forum Guidelines here.
lindsayanng

Really would like to adopt a special needs BULLDOG PUPPY

Post by lindsayanng »

My husband and I have always said that we would only get a second dog if it were exactly the right dog.. We both LOVE LOVE LOVE english bulldog puppies. I mean LOVE them. We were at the pet store the other day and they had two bulldog puppies that I fell in love with.. I would just NEVER purchase from a pet store, as cute as they are.. Not to mention they are selling these guys for $2500!!

Anyways, I came across this article about an in need pooch called Petey.
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... d=15206865 (p.s if you can. donate to help him.. he has a HUGE vet bill)
I contacted them and donated money, but they did say that they got a load of adoption requests and since i live in CT, chances of me adopting are very slim.. even though we have experience with handicapped/special needs pets and would drive to get him..

ANYWAYS, it inspired me to actively look for bulldog puppies in need.. Anyone with any little issue we will take. We do really want a baby.. we have never had a young puppy and we have the urge.. but we are willing to look at any bulldog in need.

So if you know anyone, breeders who end up with a dog with problems or pet stores who are just needing to find a poor sad puppy a home because of it's disability..(p.s. the pet store that we saw the other puppies gave away a blind bulldog puppy that they had a few years ago.. I would happily take care of a situation like that and donate money to whoever can help with transportation OR to a charity of choice, money is not the issue here)
Cappy Peg Leg has his own BLOG!!!
http://powernubby.com
lindsayanng

Re: Really would like to adopt a special needs BULLDOG PUPPY

Post by lindsayanng »

Thanks a bunch for those links!! I will definitely contact.

We are HOPING to get a younger pup mainly because we want a baby in the house.. but sometimes you see that one and its just right.. Just like our Cappy dog. Anyways, I will definitely send these people and email.. But keep and eye out for all types of bulldog babies in need!!!!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Many petstore pups are mill pups. You want to find a breeder or a petfinder OEBD whose breeder or rescue is reputable.

The Engilsh bulldog has a lot of genetics and breeding issues. Make sure you research those issues, because such a pup will require a dollar commitment for the various health issues. The AKC site lists some of the defects that require medical attention, but your best bet is an AKC accredited rescue who will be very clear as to the issues and requirements.

I personally LOVE the olde english bull dog. We had them when I was a child and they hold a special place in my heart. They should all be named Pete Rose. So ugly they are cute. They truly are adorable.

$2,500 is not a bad price for this breed, and if you want pet quality, you sign a s/n requirement. Show quality is well within your price range. Showing a dog is a lot of work and most times doesn't result in the anticipated reward, so pet quality is the one I would recommend. A couple hundred off for pet quality and the s/n.

Petfinder is my search engine of choice :)
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
lindsayanng

Post by lindsayanng »

FYI thanks for the great links

Sent some emails out and a the two that responded so far said that they will not adopt out to out of state adoptees - i even offered to do a live video stream of my house to them so that they could see where I lived. And the other pooch (Yoda) is said to not get along well with other dogs, so thats out. I do have cats and another dog. Cappy is very passive and loves other dogs, so i'm not worried about him, but wouldnt want to take in a dog aggressive dog.

And Gabriele..

I have no intentions of purchasing a dog.. I mentioned the pet store because I know that poor little handicapped pooches come out of pet store situations because they usually get them from mills who inbreed and end up "dumping" them. Basically what happened to my dog Cappy.. he was born in a puppy mill without a foot. I also would not purchase from a breeder just because I dont see the point. I am more than happy to take in one of the many in shetlers. I AM, however, hoping for a young pup..

Because I am not in a rush, i will probably wait around for one desperately in need or a young puppy who lands in a rescue. I do have my heart set on the bulldog breed though.. no question about that. They fit my size requirement and temperment and of coarse their LOOKS!!! But no, i have no intention of purchasing from petstores or breeders. The right pooch will come along. I just wanted to post here so that if anyone comes across someone in need, they will think of me and maybe contact me!

I really do have my heart set on the little guy I linked to with the paralyzed legs, but I just dont feel it will happen. Apparently there are loads of people who want him, and they are all probably closer to him.

For the record, i have researched my butt off about their problems.. I am well equipped to deal with their genetic issues along with any handicaps one might have. My husband would say that I am a google-a-holic
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

GOOD FOR YOU! They have so many health issues. One article I LOVE to cross is
"Pedi - greed" the defecs we have bred into dogs is criminal. One of those hardest hit is the Olde English Bulldog.

One of my fav breeds, the PUG, is also victim to this. The snout was built close to the head to prevent the bite from the hearding cattle. This facilitates difficulty in breathing and many other facial abnormalities. The short snout is not a 'natural' byproduct, but rather a man-made deficiency.

I rescue genetically defective dogs, a COMPLETELY PREVENTABLE defect ,and am a tad passionate about the ability to PREVENT this defect. With English Bulls, it's more a pig in a poke. You don't know until you know. With my defect, it's a given in 25% of offspring.

I am excited as you are about the outcome, and when I was a child we HAD an olde english bull. So! Looking forward!

Health issues are non-issues on this baord, as you have see!

Me too, google-holic :) Love that googler!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
lindsayanng

Post by lindsayanng »

thanksa bunch for all the help again. I just got an PM from Carole about a swimmer puppy bulldog that is in need of help. Hoping that we can be the ones to help this guy out.

I am really amazed that we have bred these dogs into a place where they technically would not survive without human intervention! I mean, bulldogs especially.. Both french and english bulldogs (i have read) almost ALWAYS need a c-section because of the size of their heads in order to give birth. Think about a poor lost dog wandering the street, a lab might actually survive and even give birth to healthy puppies out there.. but a bull dog would most definitely die without humans to help her through the pregnancy. And what about all those moronic owners out there that think they can make money off of breeding their bulldog to see them for $800 a pop only to realize that if they dont put about $2000 worth of medical care into the mom they will loose both the mom and puppies.. so they just "trash her"

AHHHHH it makes me so mad!!
Loriperfume

Post by Loriperfume »

Hi, I just tread your post and was wondering if you were ever able to adopt a special needs Bulldog puppy?
I have a10 week old Bulldog puppy I would like to find a home for. She has been diagnosed with Spina Bifida and will never have control of
her bowels. She is absolutely adorable but I think this is more of a job than I am able to do. If you are interested I can send you pics and all other information
you may need.

Thank you,
Lori