Getting better!

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
slipmonki

Getting better!

Post by slipmonki »

Today, Lady was dragging herself out the front door to be expressed. She saw the two kids she used to play with out in the courtyard, so she started dragging faster and faster. Then, I saw her little butt pop up, and she was RUNNING! On all four legs. She made it about 8 steps with each leg before she fell. I carried her to the grass (dragging on cement just looks painful), plopped her down, and she began walking in the grass. WOO!

Then, this evening, I let her back out and she was shakily (and with many falls) walking around. Then, she SQUATTED AND URINATED ON HER OWN! She was wobbling and wavering and such the whole time, but she was doing it! By herself! This dog just has too much spirit (and frankly, not enough intelligence) to let anything keep her down. I think she's my new role model. I'm so happy!
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Getting better!

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

OMG! That is wonderful news!
My Jude did the same thing - watched the other dogs play day after day after day and then. Bingo! He stood, he walked, he stumbled and finally he ran! It is a beautiful thing!
CONGRATULATIONS!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Wise Owl

Post by Wise Owl »

That is wonderful news! 3 cheers for the little one!
Christine

Post by Christine »

Oh Baby!!!!!

Group Hug...Group Hug.....

So happy for you!

(This was supposed to be in Huge letters and Red, but guess who just doesn't get it ??)
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

GREAT NEWS!
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
ssg

Post by ssg »

My Klaus did the same thing several weeks ago. My other dog was harrassing the neighbor's dog on the other side of the fence, and, before I knew it, Klaus was running and bunny hopping all the way to the fence, then relieved himself!

I thank God every day when I look at him and recall how three veterinarians recommended that I euthanize him. Just last week one of the vet techs called to ask how Klaus was doing. I knew she was trying to determine if she could close out his chart. I told him he was 80% back to normal, and you could hear a pin drop before she said, 'What great news.' I replied, 'Yes it is, considering your hospital had recommended that I kill him.' It felt good to be able to say that.

I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating again. I owe Klaus's miraculous recovery to this board and all the wonderful members here who selflessly give to us your time, incredible support, and invaluable knowledge so that we can take the very best care of our furkids.

Sandy
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

slipmonki wrote: Then, she SQUATTED AND URINATED ON HER OWN! She was wobbling and wavering and such the whole time, but she was doing it! By herself!
That is too cool! I didn't expect it so soon. You know, they still recommend expressing for a while after the dog starts to urinate independently, because sometimes they still aren't emptying completely. You might ask your vet what s/he recommends. S/he may say you still need to do it every time, or twice a day, I'm not sure. Anyway, they do say to continue expressing until bladder control is dependable. Congratulations to both of you (and I hope you can pass your class--maybe ask the instructor for a 2-week extension if that would be allowed?) Good luck!
slipmonki

Post by slipmonki »

Yeah, I still don't trust her with urinating on her own yet. I still express her first unless she beats me to it.

As for the class, I think I'll be OK. I have one last quiz, and when I asked about extra credit, the professor said she'd talk to me about it if I didn't do well enough on the quiz to pass. Looking good.

Thanks for all of the well wishes! We've still got a long way to go, but she's alreayd exceeding everyone's expectations.
sunspirit

Post by sunspirit »

That is so wonderful! What a geat Thanksgiving gift!
Lauren & Tucker

Tucker http://www.dogster.com/?299836

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

FANTASTIC NEWS!
I am overjoyed for you both.XX.
IT IS OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO LOOK AFTER THOSE WHO CAN NOT LOOK AFTER THEMSELVES.