Looking for input for senior Husky

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
thebratpack

Looking for input for senior Husky

Post by thebratpack »

Hello Everyone

I'm new here, a reader of my blog gave me the link. I have a 10 year old Husky, Thrawn, that has been on Phenobarbital since I found him at two years old for seizures. He has various health issues but the years of the meds have taken their toll on his hind end. We have a wonderful vet we visit weekly and also a neurologist and there's just not a lot to be done at this point with his other issues. He's about 92 pounds.

I'm researching getting him a wheelchair but am not sure how he'll take to it. He likes to be up and around the house, I would need to make the house cart safe as well as the back yard. He can walk now, but is super clumsy and falls a lot. He just doesn't have a lot of strength anymore to get back up. The rest of the pack likes to go for walks and I really think he would benefit from being able to join in. His front legs aren't super strong, but a heck of a lot better than his backend. He has some arthritis in his front end but is improving with his Adequan injections.

Any advice, help, etc would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Maryann & The Brat Pack
http://fivehappyhounds.blogspot.com
SnowyWhiteGSD

Re: Looking for input for senior Husky

Post by SnowyWhiteGSD »

First let me say that I went to your blog, and I am SO sorry to hear about Dakota crossing the bridge. I lost my Xena a year ago last October, to the very same condition. She passed away with me trying to do cpr to her and as much as I tried, it didn't help. My deepest sympathies to you and to Tucker and all your other dogs. I'm sure Dakota will be missed but your dogs will recover in a way only dogs can. Xena was my alpha here, and it was a bit odd here, until the pack worked things out with my help.

Now about Thrawn. Even though you have been giving him pheno for the past eight years, in light of the other conditions you mentioned in your blog (cushing, liver condition, etc) I want to direct you to a VERY trusted and informative site.

http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/Bromide. ... hor5492431

You may also want to discuss POTASSIUM BROMIDE or sodium bromide to help control Thrawn's seizures and reduce the pheno that he is getting.

One of the side effects of pheno is ataxia (loss of proper movement in limbs) so this may be contributing more to his lack of co-ordination that might be expected. I'm not a vet, but perhaps some improvement could be experienced if you were to look at other options.

Now about the 'liver issue'. Having cared for a 'liver dog' from April 2003 to Oct 2006, it is very important that you give MILK THISTLE to your dog to help it clear itself of the 'meds' that he has been given.

With so many health issues and given his age, if Thrawn were my dog I would have to think long and hard about having any surgeries done. It wouldn't be easy, I can just imagine how you feel.

And about the cart: there are resources on this site on how to make your own cart, but that may just be what is needed so your Thrawn can feel part of the pack. I don't have a cart for Snowy (my spinal surgery dog) but I may consider it if she cannot get around well with the others.

I have two 'special needs' dogs here myself and a GROWING mastiff puppy and one other dog that is healthy. So much to do, but I wanted to at least post here, so you would know just how great a group this is too.

MANY helpful people here, and I am sure others will chime in with their sage advise.

Angela and Snowy, Zeus, Bonnie and Clyde
Saving one dog may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for one dog!!
thebratpack

Post by thebratpack »

Thank you so much for taking the time to write me back. To say I'm a bit overwhelmed right now would be an understatement. He's better one day, worse the next. I know in my heart my time with him is short but I want to make it the best for him I can.

He has lived a long life especially with all of his health problems and I'm trying to come to terms that when it's time it's time. This is so hard especially after just losing Dakota.

Ever since Dakota died I can't get him to stop pacing the house from one end to another. I block him in the kitchen and he paces there too, stumbling and falling over then starting again. He makes himself exhausted which in turn makes his legs even more unstable. It's just heartbreaking to watch but he doesn't appear to be in pain. Of course, he's on so many meds that I'm sure it's numbing whatever might be there.

He is eating, drinking, wanting treats and is showing interest in chewing on bones. It makes things even harder because he seems happy and alert but his legs are just giving out. He has another appointment with the neurologist on Tuesday and hopefully there will be an option to help him and his quality of life.

Sorry for rambling, I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Thank you again...
Maryann
Maryann & The Brat Pack
heather

Post by heather »

Poor Thrawn. I wish I had advice to offer but, I don't. Maybe your vet can give him something for the separation anxiety that might help him relax.

We just lost Sebastian from old age in October a couple of months before Sammy was paralyzed. I could not bear the idea of losing her too so soon.

I know you will do the right thing and many of us are thinking of you and Thrawn and wishing the best for both of you.

-Heather
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

thebratpack wrote: He's about 92 pounds.

I'm researching getting him a wheelchair but am not sure how he'll take to it. He likes to be up and around the house, I would need to make the house cart safe as well as the back yard. He can walk now, but is super clumsy and falls a lot. He just doesn't have a lot of strength anymore to get back up.
Hi Maryann,

There are carts your dog can use if he is not strong front or back. Either a quad cart or a counterbalanced cart would be an option. A quad cart is a 4-wheel cart. A counterbalanced cart is one where the wheels are located in such a way as to shift part of the weight off the front legs, and it can have detachable training wheels in front.

http://www.eddieswheels.com/html/counterbalanced.html

With a 92-lb dog, your cart is going to be wide enough that not only furniture, but also doorways will be a challenge. So a cart is a great idea for letting your dog go for a walk with the others, but using it in the house is probably not going to work out too well.

You are probably thinking, "What am I going to do when he can't get up anymore? How will I take him out to potty?" One thing you can do is get a harness to help him up. Some of the harnesses can be worn all day. They are also good if you need to move him from room to room.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/prodwalk.htm

If he is going to be spending a lot of time in bed, you want a very soft bed to prevent pressure sores. You can get him male doggie diapers--they are good back-up protection if there is a time you do not realize he needs to go outside because he can't jump up and run to the door and tell you. Here are 2 brands people here have recommended.

http://www.uniaccs.com/thumbnail.asp?id=3&cid=68 (Unique Accessories male wraps)
http://www.uniaccs.com/thumbnail.asp?id=3&cid=68 (updated link)

http://www.k9carts.com/wrap.html (K-9 Carts male wraps)

You might consider taking him to physical therapy, especially hydrotherapy. Swimming or walking on an underwater treadmill would be good for his joints and give him some much needed exercise. Here is one link to locate hydrotherapy facilities, please let me know if you want more.

http://www.fernovetsystems.com/smallanimal/index.htm#

You might consider having a blood panel done to see if anything else might be going on.
SnowyWhiteGSD

Post by SnowyWhiteGSD »

You wrote:
"He is eating, drinking, wanting treats and is showing interest in chewing on bones. It makes things even harder because he seems happy and alert but his legs are just giving out. He has another appointment with the neurologist on Tuesday and hopefully there will be an option to help him and his quality of life."

When I read this I see that you realize that he does have a good quality of life, and a WILL to live, just needs to have the proper care (meds or herbals) to help him get his anxiety under control.

When we lost our 'senior girl Xena' I had one dog that had a real problem with her being gone. I had to physically remove anything that was 'hers' so her scent was lessened around the house. I stopped mentioning her 'name' since that was also a form of recognition for my other dog. He was start 'looking for her' if I mentioned her name, but when I mentioned her in the third party, or by another name he didn't seem to respond.

I know there are those that would say that I am just imagining all of this, but I am not. I also used some of Bach's flower remedies like RESCUE REMEDY to alleviate his anxiety. When he would 'search for Xena' I would divert his attention, instead of feeding the neurosis. (I am not implying that you don't know what to do for Thrawn, I'm just relaying MY experiences that may help you with Thrawn's reactions).

If we coddle our remaining pets when they appear upset, the problem seems to escalate. Now I don't mean that you should ignore Thrawn, JUST the behavior. Get him interested in something else as quickly as you see the behavior, and you will see a marked improvement in his demeanor. Never reinforce a neurotic reaction by telling your pet: "It's ok, good boy" this will only FEED the neurosis since you are rewarding a negative action your dog is having. Rather REDIRECT their attention to something positive, a toy, a chewy, a grooming session (if he enjoys that).

REVIEW all medications with your vet, and see if there is a less severe approach to his care. Perhaps there are meds that are causing a reaction that could be avoided.

Getting a cart sounds like it would remove most of this anxiety too. Not being able to move must be very frustrating for our pets, especially if this is a progressive problem. As a working dog your husky does not want to appear, wounded, or incapable, so the others in the 'pack' don't perceive him as inferior in the pack. They are strong willed dogs that have been known to pull sleds with BROKEN BONES and not stop. It doesn't surprise me that he tries to run back and forth even though he is 'stumbling. My Snowy (the shepherd) is the same way.

So....try removing all 'traces' of Dakota from the house, dishes, toys, bedding, etc (for a while anyway). Try some RESCUE REMEDY (available at a health food store), try some positive reinforcement by redirecting his attention, and if you can get a cart for him and make PART Of the house cart safe. A hallway, or family room to start this should help.

It has been my experience that these things have helped my 'remaining dogs' when we lost our pack matriach Xena. She has been gone for over a year, and if I mention her name, Snowy will STILL go looking for her. So dogs do have a memory, despite what some may think.

I do hope this helps. Please let us know.

Angela
Saving one dog may not change the world, but it WILL change the world for one dog!!
thebratpack

Post by thebratpack »

Thank you all so much. It makes me feel 100 times better to read this stuff and have some kind of hope for him.

It's so unpredictable, he's fine at one time then a few hours later can't move himself at all then a few hours after that is all perky. Uuugh. I have a sick feeling everytime I come back home at what I will find.

I use the Rescue Remedy for after his seizures but I will start using regularly now to see if that helps any. He's on so many meds for his various issues I'm sure that's not helping his coordination or state of mind either. I really hope that there is some kind of answer tomorrow w/ the Neurologist.

I will take the tips about Dakota's items too. Thrawn has always been so wolf-like and standoffish that maybe I'm underestimating his attachment to Dakota.

Between just losing Dakota and all that's happening I feel like I'm losing my mind. It was suggested that I'm over exaggerating Thrawn's condition because I'm paranoid, hopefully that's true but I don't know. The Brats are my kids and I'll do anything in the world for them, but don't want to make the wrong decision or do something I shouldn't for my own sake. (if that makes sense)

Thank you again
Maryann
Maryann & The Brat Pack
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Do some research on the medications. I know someone came on here once talking about how depressed her dog was. I asked her for a list of the meds her dog was on, and one of the med's primary side effect was DEPRESSION...

Also check for drug interaction issues.
Cindi
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Densible

Post by Densible »

Hi:

Just wondering how it went with the neurologist? I have a 18 yr old husky mix on pheno (only 5 days so far) and she is experiencing same hind end weakness and inconsistent reactions-today she walked unaided a few steps and later could not lift her head. Every day is a rollercoaster and I hate rollercoasters.

I am looking into replacing the pheno with potassium bromide. Have read some things on these boards and on the net and it seems side effects may be less although seizures may not be as controlled although each indivdual reacts differently. Have an appt. with a neurologist tomorrow and will ask her about it.

My dog likely has a brain tumour so at this point we want to stabilize her and hopefully have her coordination improve and lethargy decrease as a way to maintain or even improve her quality of life.

Enough about us-I just wanted to say I hope things went well and to thank you. Just knowing someone else is experiencing similar reactions in their dog has helped me feel less isolated and fearful.

All the best,

D