Any info. on meds for C.H. dog?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
kodiblue

Any info. on meds for C.H. dog?

Post by kodiblue »

I've had my C.H. dog for a year now and it is so painful for me to watch him trying to get around. Yesterday he got going so fast he lost control and smashed into the side of my house. I try to keep up and "SPOT" him, but don't always get there in time. I know there is a med for people with cerebral palsy that helps relax the muscles and control the pain from having continually contracted muscles. It lets them get more control and function better. Does anyone know if there is a comparable thing for C.H. dogs? And, if not, why not. It tears my heart out to watch him getting all the bumps and scrapes. I appreciate any help. Lisa
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I'm not aware of any, and my Ari has very severe CH. There are, however, muscle relaxers out there that are proven with critters, so drug trials would be possible if you found a cooperative vet.

I know what you mean, though; I've looked into buying a helmet for Ari. I found the PERFECT manufacturer, but they refused to try to make them small enough for her. She's so very low functioning that I'd be wary of a drug trial for her, not wanting to take away the independence she has. She uses the little she's capable of very, very well.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I don't know anything about it but if you have the name of the drug they use for humans, we can look it up and see if the same thing is used for dogs for anything. Some human meds are also used for dogs. I have a veterinary drug reference book.
CC

Post by CC »

The herb, Valerian, will calm & relax the muscles. Dogs can take this as holistic Vets prescribe it. It should not be used if there is low blood pressure. You could check it out & see if it might work for your dog.
kodiblue

meds for cerebral palsy

Post by kodiblue »

I spoke with an emergency room doc about something totallt unrelated, but she mentioned that Dantrolene works for cerebral palsy by relaxing muscles and relieving pain. Also Diazepam, Baclofen, and Flexeril are used. I don't want him to be knocked out all the time, just relaxed enough to get some relief. My Jack is really fearful of anything unknown, people, other animals.(we have tons of squirrels) loud cars etc.and tries to run away. He has enough function to make it hazardous to try running. Thanks for the help, maybe knowing what people use can help. Lisa
CarolC

Re: meds for cerebral palsy

Post by CarolC »

kodiblue wrote:she mentioned that Dantrolene works for cerebral palsy by relaxing muscles and relieving pain. Also Diazepam, Baclofen, and Flexeril are used.
Veterinary Drug Handbook, Fourth Edition, by Donald C. Plumb.

Dantrolene sodium
"Direct acting muscle relaxant. Primary indications: *snip* Dogs and cats: functional urethral obstruction *snip*
Extreme caution: hepatic dysfunction: Caution: severe cardiac dysfunction or pulmonary disease
Adverse effects: weakness, sedatin, increased urinary frequency, GI effects. Hepato-toxicity possible esp. w/ chronic use"

Diazepam

"Benzodiazepine used for a variety of indications (anxiolytic, muscle relaxant, hypnotic, appetite stimulant, and anticonvulsant) in several species
Contraindicated: Hypersensitivity to benzodiazepines, cats exposed to chlorpyrifos, significant liver disease (especially in cats)
Caution: hepatic or renal disease, aggressive, debilitated or geriatric patients; patients in coma, shock or with significant respiratory depression
Adverse effects: Sedation and ataxia most prevalent. Dofs: CNS excitement,; cats: hepatic failure or behaviours changes"

Baclofen

"Muscle relaxant that may be used for treating urinary retention in dogs
Adverse effects: sedation, weakness, pruritus, and gastrointestinal distress
Do not stop therapy abruptly"

Flexeril (Cyclobenzaprine Hcl) (Fexmid)

Not listed.
kodiblue

no meds for Jack

Post by kodiblue »

Thanks Carol, After seeing all the side effects and warnings, I think I'll not be using any of these on my baby. I can't believe people would give these to children with CP. The risks wouldn't be worth it to me. I may try the natural herbs and let you all know how that goes. Thanks everyone for your hhelp.
michelle

meds for CH

Post by michelle »

Hi- I am a pediatric Physical therapist that works with children with special needs and also have a dog with CH-severe. From what I have observed and read in dogs- the damage in the brain is in the cerebellum, thus the lack of balance and unsteady movements(called athetoid movement in humans- all or nothing movement). My Freddy's movements are exactly the same movements in a child with athetoid cerebral palsy. In children with spastic CP(muscles are tight all the time and move in a pattern) they use Baclofen and sometimes insert a pump to have it pumped at a constant rate- this then makes the muscles very loose, floppy- good results in children, relaxing not always improved function, just less spasticity, thus less pain. If your dog is like mine, his movements are very jerky and uncontrolled with a very floppy trunk. Any muscles relaxers would probably make him less functional- he would lose any muscle tone he does have and just be floppy. My pup, Freddy who I found on this website about a year ago, has learned to move a little better but when he is all alone without excitement. When he came he couldn't even sit up in the middle of the floor-I mean on belly with head up, he then could do but if you looked at him or talked to him, he would get so excited he would flop right down, now he can do and stay up if you talk to him in a calm voice- basically his trunk got stronger. I would highly recommend getting him swimming-using a life vest and possible using a wheelchair at times to teach his body and train his muscles how to work in the upright position-strengthening his trunk(middle section). I don't know about yours but my Freddy is so very intelligent- he really communicates using his eyes and moving his body. This would be no different in children with athetoid CP-movements are limited but brain works just fine-usually intelligent children stuck in a body that just doesn't work how they want it too. Hope this is helpful. Any other questions I can help you with you can email me at mbaldwinzoo@aol.com Michelle Baldwin
sandyc799

Post by sandyc799 »

I sure wish there was some "magic pill" that could help these babies.My Bandit seems better than he was,course,he's still a baby.
I can only hope and continue working with him.
I would sure appreciate it,if after you try the valerian,you tell us all,if it has helped.
Bandit's falls and bumps always make me cringe.I am always saying "Oh,slow down.Watch out!" He will try to come to me,if he sees an especially scary thing,also.I wonder why he and some others with CH seem more frightened of new things?
Course,Toby one of my other bostons can be wary of things also,and he is healthy.
Before this forum and Bandit,I had never heard of this in dogs.
I sure appreciate all the info you folks are willing to share.