Cart design question

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Nicole82

Cart design question

Post by Nicole82 »

My husband made my dog (doxie/aussie mix) this cart this past winter. He gets around in it just fine but there always seems to be some sort of design issue to me when I look at it but I can't quite put my finger on it. I'm thinking the side pieces need to be extended forward further to his shoulder and the padded area needs to be moved forward so it's directly over his shoulder (more toward where his collar would be). I also think it's needs a larger support pad that goes further up onto his chest to give him more support since he's got a longer back.

Here are a couple of pictures of him in it so you guys can see what I mean. Any design change advice is very welcome, this is the first cart he's made for Jake so it's kind of a rough model.

It does have holders for his feet but they were getting re-worked this afternoon so they're not on the cart in these pictures.

Let me know if you need different pictures to get a better idea of how it looks. Thanks for any and all input!
critters
Founding Member

Re: Cart design question

Post by critters »

I would just try the ideas you have & see. I did quite a few changes on the cart I made even before I put it together. :lol:
B-boy

Post by B-boy »

Hello there,
Have you looked at the "Homemade" cart section on this site? It may have a few good ideas for you. Looking at it in the pictures, I would suggest making the piece across his shoulder higher so it does not touch him, but also the side bars lower to run next to his body as apposed to being over his back. Then a strap that goes around his chest (neoprene/velcro seems comfy)and attaches to the cart close to his shoulders. You wouldn't want to have too much around his neck and head as it will hinder his mobility. It never hurts to start fresh, then you got back up wheels if the new ones need tweakin'
WOOF WOOF
Nicole82

Post by Nicole82 »

Thanks b-boy. I do think that having the side pieces lower would help and I think that's what has been looking 'off' to me.

I'll have my husband work on a new and improved version next weekend when he's home and see how it works.