Raider won't eat.

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
raiders mom

Raider won't eat.

Post by raiders mom »

Raider (my shih-tzu,hit buy car 3 1/2 weeks ago)has stopped eating.I ahve tried to feed him everything.He was eating and acting like he was feeling better till he got a U.T.I. on Mon.(today is Sat.)He has been taking anti-bitoics since Mon.He is also getting very cranky.He nips at me now whenever I try to express his bladder,use a suppository on him.(He hasn't had a b.m. in 2 days)Touch his tail or rearend at all. What is going on with him? Is he just miserable and doesn't know how to express it?Has he given up his will to live?Any ideas? Thanks Kathy(Raider's Mom)
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Raider won't eat.

Post by Bobbie »

Not eating could be the antibiotics giving him an upset stomach but it warrants a call to the vet.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
connie

Post by connie »

my cricket didn't eat much while he was on antibodic's, i would ask the vet. in fact for about 2 weeks i had trouble getting him to eat anything. i hand fed him boiled chicken and other things vets suggested. he finally got out of pain enough to start eating. good luck, your in my prayers,
connie and cricket
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I would recommend increasing the pain control. He has not had enough time to heal yet and the nipping suggests he still hurts. I don't blame him for being cranky. You have to be able to handle him and express him, it is too stressful for you to give him the nursing care he needs if he is going to nip. Definitely stronger pain meds until he's recovered a bit more.
raiders mom

Post by raiders mom »

Thank You everyone...Actually Raider is not on any pain meds.They took him off them about 12 days ago.He was taking remadyl but that Rx has also run out.I have been force feeding him 2 a day(Hiill's Rx a/d).I am at wits end.I am ready to do what ever I have to to help the little guy.He is still not walking exactly.He does a kind of 3 legged run hop sort of thing but has been extremely lethargic today.He was doing so good but now he seems to be slipping away from me!!!I am crying to hard to see anymore..KAthy
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Call your vet. He needs pain medication.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels