Recovery questions and a little update

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
jazzybaby

Recovery questions and a little update

Post by jazzybaby »

I have post a few post on this site in the last month and have gotten so much good information that has helped me so much with my hind leg paralzyed cocker spaniel. She has started doing some new things that i was hoping maybe someone on her could help give me some answer as you may have gone through it. It has been a little over 7 weeks since my dog had IVDD surgery and she has had little improvements, like she had started kicking and stiffening her back legs when would tickle her toes and paws she had started being able to sit and lay back down all by herself, she started pulling herself along on the floor. At about a month after surgery she went back to see her neurologist and he said she still had no deep pain response and the kicking and pulling away which was just a reflex and that she was most likley as good as she would get, to put her in a cart and that was that. After crying over this and reading the post on her i decided to call her regular vet since from what i have researched on my own it can take months for them to fully recover and that you should not push to hard to fast. Her vet recommend we start laser theraphy and water therapy. We started the laser therapy right away but had some trouble finding somewhere in our area for water therapy that have a underwater treadmill. She is in her 3rd week of laser therapy and she has been so much more active since then, we have started noticing her pulling her back legs in towards herself and she is now able to sit like normal. Is this a good sign she is able to pull her legs in now? She started this weekend looking like she was trying to stand or steady herself with her one leg is this normal and a good? In some case does one leg recover faster than the other? She still needs her bladder expressed howerver she is not leaking and she seems to be able to hold her bowels durning the night, she used to wake us up as many as 3 to 4 times now she seems to be going right before we go to bed and then again not tell we wake up about 7 to 8 hours later. We did find a place to do the water therapy but it is about an hour and half away so the therapist is going to work with us so we can learn to do more things with her at home so she only has to go there about once a week. She started there the end of this month. I had wrote on here a little while back she had started chewing at her paws which has seemed to have stopped. She has even started to turn her head around and looking like she is trying to pull her leg up to sratch is this a good sign? She also has that spark back in her eyes and is now playful again. She did wag her tail for the first time about 2 weeks ago. it was not as fast as she use to but i saw it wag and i cried. She seems to wag it now when you pet her backside on when hold her up after expressing her. Which i think is a great sign. We have started putting her in a standing postion a few times a day and trying to let go and for the first time this weekend she was able to hold it for a few seconds she even looked like she was trying to pull her one leg like she wanted to take a step. Is this a good thing? I know it sounds stupid but i just know in my heart she will walk again.
smithpk85

Re: Recovery questions and a little update

Post by smithpk85 »

Everything you have said about what your baby is doing is a good sign. It seems like everything you have said she is doing, my Maggie has done also. Just keep up with the therapy and give it time. From what I have read the spine and nerves continue to heal for up to 6 months. It has been 2 months and 1 week since Maggie's surgery. She has come a long way. Just hang in there and don't give up!
jazzybaby

Post by jazzybaby »

Thank you for your reply, i am glad to hear your Maggie is doing so well. It is nice to hear from others that have gone through this and to hear what they think and are what they are doing for their pets.
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

They told me my dog would never walk again at the time, I proved them wrong! ( well my dog did LOL).
Patience and being careful is number 1.
You can gently do massage as well, I did acupunture as well.
My dog was never into water unfortunately because I do have a pool.
But he did sorta walk for 2 more years.
I think yours is doing GREAT!
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Joan

Post by Joan »

We have 9 rescue pugs; 5 of which are spinal injuries. 3 are still in carts and 2 are now walking again. One that is now walking and running (awkwardly) took nearly 2 years. He was never supposed to even be able to lift his tail! Never, ever give up. Neurologists are only used to seeing the dogs at the acute stage, and don't usually have long term follow-up.

All your signs are positive, but realize that there are many ups and downs along the way. Some recover so well it makes you cry everytime they move, and others stay just the way they were when we rescued them. But we are proud of every single one, and most importantly they are all so happy.
connie

Post by connie »

hi, welcome., good news about your baby. my cricket had ruptured disk surgery in 06, no deep pain going in. he stayed in 100% crate rest for 8 weeks, out only for P.T . and such. he never regained full movement. but after 10 months , he stood and spinal walked. i had to keep putting him on all 4's over and over, so much it wore me out. but to see him run and play was worth it. he doesn't walk or run normally, kinda like a drunk( lol). but he is healthy and happy. he still needs expressing , but never any leaks and never had a UTI. my vets are amazed by him. he can do everything but jump and pee.
i never put him in a cart cause my vets said he spinal walked so well. never give up, to this day after so many years, cricket still improves. he got a little deep pain back in upper thighs, and some in some toes. his left leg is worse than the right. but it took months and years to get to this. so never give up hope.
we just keep doing P.T. and anything that helps him. i put him in bathtub ( he's small) 3 times a week for water therapy. the pals on here and mark helped me so much. i was lost till i found this site. they are wonderful and can help you too.
i am not on here as much anymore , working so many hours a day. but if i can help in any way, just ask.
you and your pet will be in my prayers.
we send hugs and doggie kisses,
connie and cricket
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: Joan!! There are loads of Pug people around the bb these days!
jazzybaby

Post by jazzybaby »

Thank you all for your replies. This site has really helped me and my family. It has been a long 2 months but Jasmine seems to be improving each and everyday and most of all she is happy. She started water therapy this past Saturday and she walked on the underwater treadmill. Her therapist said her legs want to stand and even walk but her legs are not strong enough so that is what we are working on now.

Connie: I read what you had posted and i found the thing you said about the deep pain very interesting, her neruologist has only ever checked her toes. She seems to notice when you touch her butt and her thighs, when your stratch her thighs she moves her legs. So thanks i will have to have her vet check her next time.

Stacy