My Bailey

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
rookiemum

Re: My Bailey

Post by rookiemum »

He's not chewing himself, just leaking bloody urine nonstop. I'm sure it is related to when he did chew himself last year. He's been on antibiotics snce August for a bladder infection, it seemed to be cleared up, so I cut back the antibiotics to just one at night. After a few days he started leaking bloody urine again. We'll have go back to twice a day, I hope he's not getting resistant to the antibiotics.

I just put another diaper on him, he's licking around it, but so far leaving it alone (its been on 5 minutes-a record). Maybe if I keep trying he'll get used to it. It would help with the laundry.

Pam
Christine

Post by Christine »

Pam...you are the best dog mom and mom mom despite all the odds. When I read your posts I am just in awe of how you handle everything and wish I could wave a magic wand to make things easier for you. Do you have anything that Bailey might be interested in chewing on to take his mind off the diaper - a kong with frozen stuff or one of those indestructible chew bones?

It sounds like you and Buddy have hit on a system and he sounds very smart. Maybe he will take a turn and help Bailey the way he has helped him lately.

Take care.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Pam...you are the best dog mom and mom mom despite all the odds
Thank you, that is one of the nicest remarks I've heard in a long time. :)

We did have a Kong, I just have to track it down. That is a good idea. I used to give him and Buddy Chew treats, they loved them, but after Bailey got hurt they seemed to interfere with his "pooping schedule" (He was pooping all the time instead of twice a day), so I quit. The Kong should be okay though, I can give him biscuits in it.

Pam
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi Pam,
Wow when it rains it pours.....I am keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well.
How is hard all this must be on the family I am so sorry.
Keep us posted. And try to get a good nights rest.
Keeping the faith for you.
Caroline

A dog's day consists of eating, playing and sleeping, and while sleeping the dog dreams of eating and playing.
---- Anonymous
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Bailey seems a little better today, not as much blood in his urine. Our Buddy is not doing well at all. :cry:

Pam
Christine

Post by Christine »

Glad to hear Bailey is doing better. What is going on with Buddy right now? Poor baby, I can imagine how confused he must feel with both sight and hearing gone and not understanding the drops you have to give him.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
beccachow

Post by beccachow »

If I may make a suggestion, we played havoc around here with Duke peeing, we tried the underpads and found that the human underpads (as sold in Wal MArt, CVS etc) are MUCH bigger, MUCH more absorbant, and much cheaper. Then, we broke down and bought the human quilted re-usable kind, with the backing to them? We bought several, so when one got soiled, we just replaced with new ones and washed the old ones. Within a weeks's time, they had paid for themselves. I love them, we would line his whole bed with them as they have the extra plus of being padded. No muss no fuss, no bags on bags of trash with wet smelly pads.

Been reading your story and keeping my fingers crossed. I had an old blind poodle who did great for a very long time.
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

My Bailey lost his best doggie friend today. Our Buddy had a really bad night last night, pacing, whimpering, crying. He saw a different vet today and she also was certain he has Lymphoma. We decided to let him go.

Bailey waited by the fence the whole time my husband was at the vet. :(

Here's a picture of the two of them when they were both healthy.
Bailey and Buddy
Bailey and Buddy
Pam
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

I am so sorry Pam,
He was such a pretty boy I posted at the bridge..... no way to start a new month.
How is your son taking all this? Bailey must be down on top of not feeling so well himself.
You try to take it real easy today girl.
My thoughts are with you sending you hugs.
Caroline
Christine

Post by Christine »

Caroline, I am so sorry. You gave him the final and most unselfish and heartwrenching gift by letting him go. I am sorry things were so hard for him at the end. Give Bailey lots of extra snuggles....it will help you both.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
beccachow

Post by beccachow »

I am so very sorry to hear this. God bless you and your family.
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Bailey seems depressed, or he might just be really tired. He didn't get a lot of sleep the last two weeks. We had been putting Buddy in the pen with Bailey, so if Buddy wasn't sleeping good, neither did Bailey. I gave Buddy an anithistamine last night to help him sleep, so he did fall asleep after awhile.

I've been preparing Seth for the last week, telling him how sick Buddy was, and he might die. "Mommy, what's die?"-try explaining that to a 3 year old. I told him Buddy was very sick, died and flew up to heaven to be with Jesus, and someday we'll all be together again. He seems content with that explanation.

I think this has been worse for my husband than me, he didn't think it would be so hard. I'm thankful he was able to take Buddy to the vet, I would have been a wreck.

Pam
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hey Pam,
Thanks for the update sounds like you are married to a good man. You may have to give him some extra hugs today.
Very smart of you to explain upfront to Seth, children have a way of coping without making things complexed.
Maybe give Bailey , ascripten to help him sleep for a few days.
hugs
Caroline

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too.
--------Samuel Butler
Christine

Post by Christine »

I was thinking the same thing about your husband. I have one that is all talk about he does not care about the animals the same way I do, but their losses have hit him hard. I am glad he has been there for you and your baby through this. Take care of yourself.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Yes, he is a good husband. Our 21st anniversay was Thursday, we didn't feel much like celebrating, but we did go out to dinner and had a nice time.

My Bailey has been so sad today. He wouldn't eat his breakfast, and looked so depressed. I mixed some rice in with his food, so he did eat his supper. Then we played ball a little, that seemed to perk him up. Tomorrow I have to work, so he'll be all alone for 9 hours, poor boy.

Yesterday he started shedding like crazy. I'm hoping its just stress and there is nothing wrong with him.

Pam