my sissy my love

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
MissWhiskers

Re: my sissy my love

Post by MissWhiskers »

That is great! Please do keep us posted!

Karen
Bendy Kitty
Founding Member

Post by Bendy Kitty »

HOOORRRAAAYY!!!

Shrimpies all around!!! :)

bendy
In loving memory of Bendy Cute Kitty 9/15/00-4/23/12

Meet the cats at Bendy's Home http://www.alittletlc.com"
sdrakkan

Post by sdrakkan »

Wooooooo!!!!!! Cheers!
http://sabrieldrakkan.deviantart.com/
http://sdrakkan.webs.com/index.htm
4 Ball Pythons, 1 Cornsnake, 3 Boas, 3 Tarantulas, 1 Quaker Parrot, 2 Tuxedo Cats, and 21 darling rescue Rats.
shawna41653

Post by shawna41653 »

sissy ran today, tried to jump on the couch I had to stop her, I dont want her to over do it, I dont really know how to stop her i am gonna put her in my bedroom in this huge walk in closet and put up a door so she cant go up and down my stairs at night, I had to get up at 3 this morning to make sure it was real and layed beside and she walked, today she seems to be walking even better
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

That is Great Shawna. I would probably do the same thing as far as restraining her a bit. Have you called the vet and told them about her improvement? I wonder what they would say?? I am sure glad you stuck by her! Did you say you thought it was probably due to a stroke? Anyway, I think you and she are one of the luckier cases -that is for sure!!
Again, happy for you! And do stay in touch and let us know about her from time to time. She is very pretty :wink:

Karen
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

I was just re-reading Mumpkees reply about the cat named Tara and am going to highlight a paragraph that I thought would be good to keep in mind!

She says:

....Much of stroke recovery is tender loving care – helping Tara get enough food in her, keeping her hydrated (possibly thru subQ fluids if she isn’t able to drink enough), making sure that she urinates and deficates. It is a slow process, but many cats recover.

But here is the main point:

:idea: However, you need to know what caused the stroke so that if it is a medical condition – kidneys, diabetes, the high blood pressure it can be treated so that it doesn’t cause a recurrence. This will take a vet who is willing to work with you to run the needed tests and if needed direct you to someone who can do a CT. :idea:

If you can figure out the probable cause perhaps you can avoid a reoccurance - which would be great! Good Luck,

Karen
shawna41653

Post by shawna41653 »

No the vet didnt say a stroke for sure, he was kinda stumped, to the cause he ran a bunch of test all were good, I called him yesterday and he said no need to do anything, He says it could have just been an injury that were lucky it healed he only gave her 20 precent chance of any kind of recovery, he said just keep doing what I am doing, she is not on meds and hasnt been for 2 weeks or more, its like I just woke up and she was better limping a little but she is no longer limping, I am so glad to have my friend back, I really thought I had lost her. one more thing since we got this dog in july a lab she wants to stay upstairs all the time, he is outside all the time how can I get her back down here with me?
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

I think I saw your Lab puppy on your face book page. Good looking Boy! and nice face book page.
I can relate to the problem with Sissy not being thrilled with the new dog. I have a 14 or 15 year old female cat who does not like it when I bring a new dog into the situation. I usually have one dog of my own, but lately I have been fostering 2 in addition to mine. At first she would go to the most remote room of my home but lately she is sitting in the living room even when they are around. I guess she just got used to it - I am not sure - but if you knew her you would know how incredible that is!! The only thing I think I tried was going to wherever she was and sitting with her - paying attention to her but letting the dog(s) in the room - though not letting them too close and not really paying attention to them until they relax and lie down and just be in the same room - all the while paying lots of attention to the cat. I usually do this while watching TV or maybe talking on the phone. I am not sure if that kind of exercise will help you much - especially if it's a puppy and might not easily relax across the room! Maybe if there is someone else that can sit with the dog while you sit with Sissy - in the place of HER choice....and for a good little period of time and as often as you can - until hopefully maybe she will realize they can be in the same room without him bothering her!? You might have to keep her from running off when she sees him coming though!!
Also you might look for ideas on petfinder.com. They have lots of good articles and information about things like that.
And I will contact my friend Troopersmommy and see if she has any ideas for you as she has multiple cats and dogs!

Best Wishes to Sissy!! :blush:

Karen
shawna41653

Post by shawna41653 »

I want to donate sissy chair to someone is made of pvc nice though, how can i do this, it is a quad and is 11.5 inches long about 7in tall, let me know if it is needed
shawna41653

Post by shawna41653 »

Well I guess today is the day Sissy has came down from hiding and joined us all downstairs - the dog he is outside dog, I made a video on my face book page check it out shawna compton ty all for the support, the vet said give her a 3rd of a baby asprin every 3 day in case it was a clot, so that is what I am doing, she is great and happy, so am I, Love is amazing
MissWhiskers

Post by MissWhiskers »

:D
I did see your video and really enjoyed it! I think everyone here would enjoy it if they get a chance to check it out!! :wink:

Karen
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Hi Shawna,

I'm so glad to hear that your Sissy has recovered. As I read your posts from the beginning, my first guess was that she either suffered a stroke, or was injured somehow - either one naturally causing depression along with paralysis. I haven't been to this site in a while...ridiculously busy at work - new hours keep me pretty exhausted, and I've just gone through some tough times with the loss of my kitty Coe and my sweet old dog Rufus. But, my great friend Karen (Miss Whiskers) directed me here. I have a "zoo" of four-legged children that were all once strays, most having something that requires extra care--asthma, diabetes, injuries, handicaps, you name it.

Your Sissy is so lucky to have you for her mom. I believe love, lots of prayers, and time can heal just about anything. I had a kitty named Reggie, who somehow got his hind leg caught in a hole in a homemade kitty playtower (I've learned if you use ladders, tape something over all holes). I don't know how long he was "trapped", but when I got home and he was hanging by his back leg and couldn't get out. His leg was totally useless and paralyzed, and all he could do was drag it. He was 17 at the time and a young vet at the clinic said he would need to be put down. I insisted on seeing the old vet that I was used to and he said to leave it alone. He said "time heals all things"...and he was right! It took 3 months, but Reggie regained the complete use of his leg, without any meds, and lived to the ripe old age of 19...died in his sleep peacefully.

I found this site a year ago after bringing home a young feral cat who had been hit by a car and left to die. I have photos and details on the thread about Trooper, but briefly...he is paraplegic, recovered the ability to pee and poop on his own, and learned to get around beautifully. It was a tough beginning because he was an extremely scared, depressed crippled kitty, obviously never touched by human hands. I know you don't have to worry about it anymore, but should you or anyone that reads this ever need to know, Trooper has learned to love having a bath. We run warm water in the tub with some mild cortisone shampoo making it a little bubble bath...only about 2-3 inches deep. Then we gently place him in the water on a mat so he doesn't slip, soap him up, and rinse him with a hand-held shower nozzle. The gentle water stream is like a massage--he purrs the whole time. Then we carefully dry him with fluffy towels. The first time he hated it, but "sponge" baths just weren't getting him clean enough. I worry about the litter making his skin raw, so he uses puppy pads or old towels. He hates to be held for expressing, so we let him pee and poop on his own. He does great, and then covers it up with old cloths that I lay across the pads. Sometimes it gets in his fur, so baths are a weekly event. It's allowed him to regain his independence and confidence. Over the last year he has learned to prop himself up and scoot. One of his rear legs has almost regained full function so he uses it to lift himself up on his back knees. Both rear legs are constantly in motion, as if the nerves are regenerating. It's truly amazing! We keep him with the other kitties in the back "kitty play rooms", and he plays "chase" with them. I credit his progress to his kitty mates for the constant "physical therapy" of keeping up. I keep them separated from our dogs by using a child gate. That way they can sniff each other, but I don't have to worry about clumsy or playful dogs stepping on his back by accident. He didn't like carts, he likes ramps instead and mounds of pillows and towels that he can crawl up and over.

Again, I'm so glad you don't have to worry about any of this. God sure takes good care of his little angels, doesn't he? Along with lots and lots of love from all of us!
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"
shawna41653

Post by shawna41653 »

she is still doing well but has again started to hide, I dont know why? she eats drinks all ok and walks maybe just give her time any advice on this
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Anytime one of my little ones hides, it usually means there's something out of the ordinary going on. Could be fear of the new doggie. She might feel intimidated - some of my cats don't like being around my dogs. I have one that I rescued almost 8 years ago that still hides if she sees my dogs. I open the door to my kitty rooms and place a child gate across so the dogs can't go in, but the cats can come out. Two of my cats never come out. They prefer there own room. Do you have a kitty condo or little area that she can call her own? Eventually she'll get used to the dog, but it takes time. Doesn't mean she'll ever want to be in the same room.

Hope this helps.
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"

troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Just a note to say hi Shawna and that I hope your Sissy is still doing okay, even if she is still hiding. I'm sending lots of prayers and best wishes to both of you. By the way, how's your new doggie? Karen "Miss Whiskers" told be about a video you have, but I have been unable to pull it up. Probably my firewall...very picky. I'll keep trying.