sensory neuropathy

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
jed

sensory neuropathy

Post by jed »

Hi Everyone,
Just found this web site, and looks like it might be a useful place to get some advice, and support for my 5mth old border collie pup.
At around 14wks old Maisie started to knuckle over on her left hind paw, at first it was very infrequent, so we just thought it was a puppy thing. After a couple of weeks the knuckling started to become more frequent, so we took her to the vet, he did a few neurological examinations on her, but said to wait a couple of weeks,and see what happened.
Immediatly after the vets visit, I took my other dog to agility, and then showed Maisie to the trainer. (it was her male who sired Maisie) whilst talking to her we discovered that another pup from the litter was showing the same symptoms as Maisie.
Anyway my agility trainer arranged for a visit with another vet, who ran blood tests for toxoplasmosis,neosporosis and brucellosis, all of which came back negative, in the mean time, Maisie continued to deteriorate, knucking regularly on her hind paws, and starting to knuckle aswell on her front paws, her hind paws she was starting to drag when she walked, unco-ordinated, she also wasn't growing.
When the tests came back negative (took 2wks for the test results to come through) I then got a referal to a neurologist.
At the neurologist we discovered that Maisie has no deep pain sensation, virtually no relexes, tetraparesis, ataxia, and virtually no feeling in the peripheral nerves,and no proprioception, the neurologist suspects a genetic sensory neuropathy. (the owners of the other pup took theirs to a different neurologist who has said the same thing) that will degenerate over time. She walks and runs, although sometimes gets her hind legs tangled up, and is continuously on her knuckles of her hind paws.
Does anyone have any experience of a disorder like this?, what can I do to help Maisie? Are there any homeopathic remedies that will help her? any advice will be gratefully received :thankyou:
critters
Founding Member

Re: sensory neuropathy

Post by critters »

:slant: Personally, I'd seriously consider a wheelchair (cart). In the meantime, I'd use a walking aid to help her. Knuckling presents risks of skin damage, infection, and contractures, but splints MAY help in the meantime. We've had a terrible time with contractures with my Koi, who is an incomplete paraplegic due to having been shot in the spine. If you're dealing with a degenerative disorder, as it appears, I'd probably go straight to wheels and a walking aid for when you're not using them.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I've never heard of anything like this in a puppy that I can remember. If it is progressive, then eventually it will probably affect her ability to urinate. At that point, you will want to begin expressing her bladder every day. Many people here are expressing one or more pets daily. Here is information (with video links at the bottom) on expressing.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Express_a_dog_or_cat

Also, please be sure to ask here if you begin to notice potty accidents of either kind. These things can be taken care of easily if you know how, so it does not affect your quality of life or upset any family members.
jed

Post by jed »

Hi,
Thanks for your replies, at the mo she does her biz ok, but is definately something I'm keeping an eye on.
We are putting boots on her to protect her paws, at the moment she's just in neoprene boots that we got from a pet shop, but are waiting for 2 pairs of neopaws orthopedic boots to arrive, that we ordered from the internet. Has anyone any other ideas for good doggie booties?
We are doing home physio with her , as well as massages, to try and stimulate the nerves.

'
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Your mention of your dog's condition and doing physio reminded me of a video Bobbie posted about Jack, who is a champion Corgi who got degenerative myelopathy (DM - a slow neurological deterioration). In the video you can see glimpses of the physiotherapy they do with Jack, starting at the 4-minute mark. They are doing land exercises and hydrotherapy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJcWsGdsnqg

Bobbie works with wheelchair Corgis, and has been very active in getting them to do rally and obedience. A website called petswithdisabilities.org has dogs that herd sheep in a wheelchair, which I thought of because of your dog's breed. Even if your dog is in a wheelchair, he can do a lot, whether competing for ribbons or herding sheep or just being a family dog.

Your dog does not have DM but it sounds like a similar condition, so you might get a lot out of seeing the videos about DM on scoutshouse.com. They also have information on boots.

http://www.scoutshouse.com/health-resources/our-videos/
jed

Post by jed »

Thanks for the links, will have a look, the other exercises I got off the net were also for degenerative myleopathy, which your right, is a similar condition, despite Maisie's age. Will be useful for sure to see some video's, I have also read that hydrotherapy is very good, however due to where I live this is not an option as there is no where that I can take her, my trips to the neurologist are 250km round trip.
But will keep up the physio and massages, and keep her as active as possible.
I am very worried about how we will manage if Maisie looses the use of her legs, as I live in a mountainous area with no flat areas, would a dog in a wheelchair be able to cope? I know she is a special needs pup, but I have no idea about how much a dog in a wheelchair can do, the terrain they can cope with,
:thankyou: very much,
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Hi Jed

I have seen a Sheepdog rounding up the Flock in one of the roughest and hilliest areas parts of Yorkshire, UK, using a Cart. It was twisting and turning getting those Sheep into line and moved like Lightening, it was amazing.

I wish you well with Maisie, you are already doing so much to help her and if She becomes more special needs the Cart will be another Gift from you.

Happy Holidays to you and Maisie!
Sharon
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

The dogs at PetsWithDisabilities herd sheep, too.

http://www.petswithdisabilities.org/duke.html

If you have a good Internet connection you could go to Youtube and type in dog wheelchair and watch a bunch of vidoes showing dogs in wheelchairs on different terrain. A dog can tip in a wheelchair, which is why they say you should not let the dog use the cart unattended. If you go out for a walk with the dog and let him run off into the woods and drive over tree roots, etc, you can set him right if he tips, but just letting him out the back door to run the property for a couple of hours where you can't keep an eye on him might be a problem.

Another factor on tipping is your dog's build. If you have a dog with slim hips and long legs compared to the body, his center of gravity will be higher and he may be more likely to tip. They make a some wheelchairs with the wheels slanting in for a wider ride and more stability.

http://www.islandpacket.com/2010/05/10/ ... -keep.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urVKddFwEo8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsijVY9HPc4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w_k27AFqpI (I think this may be my favorite one... :lol: )
jed

Post by jed »

Hi,
Thanks for the replies, tried to look at video's on you tube tonight, but my internet connection is very slow.
Maisie only goes out accompanied as like a majority of people in Italy I live in an appartment, so don't have a garden.
She's doing ok, has been no decent deterioration, but her neopaws boots still haven't arrived, won't see them now until after Xmas. This is a bit of a pain as yesterday my other dog Jed managed to get hold of 2 of her boots and chewed them :roll:
The other 2 are worn thro, and fill up with snow! Thank goodness for duct tape :D
Need to think of a way to improvise 2 boots, until the others arrive!
Happy Christmas