Trixie

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
simon

Trixie

Post by simon »

I recently gave a 5 year old handicapped jack russell a home. She has what I can only describe as cerebral pausy. Her shakes a little and when she walks she looks drunk. The thinks that when she was born she may have been starved of oxygen. On top of this she is agoraphobic, but lets take one problem at a time.

I wondered if there is anyone out there with like mine and how you have coped and what the dogs life span may be.
CarolC

Re: Trixie

Post by CarolC »

Hi Simon,

I do not have any experience with this myself. We have a moderator who had a dog with similar issues due to being fed crack cocaine when he was a puppy. I don't know the lifespan, but if you have any specific issues you can describe, such as inability to walk, inability to hold the head to eat, or anything like that, there will be information on those issues. I'm sorry you've waited 3 days, I was hoping someone would post for you who has actual experience. I have a lot of experience with mobility and toileting issues. If your dog also has emotional/psychological issues, I can email someone who can probably help.

I found some other people who have posted about dogs with neurological issues due to oxygen starvation by doing a keyword search on "palsy" but they mainly seem to be people who posted once or twice and did not stay around so they are not here to share their knowledge. One way you may be able to reach them is to post a reply to a topic they wrote. Then they will hopefully be notified by the message board software that they have a reply, and they may come share what they know. Here is an example:

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... ain#p60451

:gang:
simon

Post by simon »

CarolC wrote:Hi Simon,

I do not have any experience with this myself. We have a moderator who had a dog with similar issues due to being fed crack cocaine when he was a puppy. I don't know the lifespan, but if you have any specific issues you can describe, such as inability to walk, inability to hold the head to eat, or anything like that, there will be information on those issues. I'm sorry you've waited 3 days, I was hoping someone would post for you who has actual experience. I have a lot of experience with mobility and toileting issues. If your dog also has emotional/psychological issues, I can email someone who can probably help.

I found some other people who have posted about dogs with neurological issues due to oxygen starvation by doing a keyword search on "palsy" but they mainly seem to be people who posted once or twice and did not stay around so they are not here to share their knowledge. One way you may be able to reach them is to post a reply to a topic they wrote. Then they will hopefully be notified by the message board software that they have a reply, and they may come share what they know. Here is an example:

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... ain#p60451

:gang:
Thanks. She is also agoraphobic and wondered if you or someone else on the forum could help
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I'm sorry, I have no experience with it at all. Here is a post from someone who appears to know something about it.

http://www.dogforums.com/dog-health-que ... -dogs.html

Here is another one, which includes a recommendation for the Anxiety Wrap, which I have seen used with a German Shepherd and it worked. (The dog was nervous about crowds.)

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-training ... -dogs.html

I was not sure it came in small sizes, but it does:

http://www.sitstay.com/dog/supplies/ser ... _category=

I hope you can find something that helps. :angel:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: Trixie may have cerebellar hypoplasia, which is what they call critter cerebral palsy. My CHer is much lower functioning than yours, and she can only walk while leaning on something.
simon

Post by simon »

critters wrote::slant: Trixie may have cerebellar hypoplasia, which is what they call critter cerebral palsy. My CHer is much lower functioning than yours, and she can only walk while leaning on something.
Thanks for the reply. I am going away Thursday for a few weeks so if I don't reply to your potential post please take this into account.

My vet doesn't know an awful lot about the condition but doesn't think it will get any worse, however I am sure as she gets older she will find the condition harder to cope with. Trixie can move at a rate of knots in the house if someone comes to the door but moves like an aging spastic if forced to go for a short walk, as she is agoraphobic as well. We have that since we have got her and encouraged her to play games and walk a little her movement is generally better. Have you any tips ?
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Hi Simon

I live in Spain and we have a lot of Fiestas which include loads of Fireworks, night and day! Many of the Town's dogs are affected and are nervous wrecks at that time, they are prescribed a light sedative which eases their problem. Maybe have a chat with your Vet and see if your Dog would benefit from such medication and hopefully once Trixie has been out aided by the sedative she will become accustomed to the Big World Outdoors and not need them eventually, just a thought....
Sharon:)
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.