Daily living with a small paralyzed dog? Need input!

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Brette

Daily living with a small paralyzed dog? Need input!

Post by Brette »

Hi all,

I have a lovely little 14 year old pug who had a herniated disk 6 years ago. He wasn't operated on immediately unfortunately so the injury was not fixed but he is not in pain and has been quite mobile despite this. He is quite handicapped at this advanced age though and I think by the end ofthis year he will have lost control of his back legs altogether. For now, he can still wobble around and get in and out of his bed and around my condo.

I already take care of his potty needs, so i know how to do that but what else will i need to know how to do? Turning the dog over every once in a while? I doubt he can use a cart as I think he has some arthritis in his front legs. I may try some sort of walking harness though, or preferably a home-made one since i'm on such a tight budget.

Can anyone give me some tips? I'm taking the "wait and see" approach as he is still playful and happy. I believe that he could adjust to being fully paralyzed in his hind legs. The question is, can I?
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Daily living with a small paralyzed dog? Need input!

Post by Bobbie »

First, don't rule out a cart. Eddie's Wheels makes a counterbalanced cart that takes a lot of the weight off the front legs, and Doggon and K9 Carts (both versions) have front wheel additions that have swivel wheels and are quite usable. He's probably getting more strain on the front now with no support.

If he does become completely immobile, you'll have to turn him frequently and probably carry him out to potty (a cart really helps with doing this as he will stay cleaner when he goes if he is standing.)

You could probably use a harness to help him get around now. Also, you don't mention meds for the arthritis, but if he isn't on glucosamine he should be, and the vet can prescribe NSAIDS which will help with pain and inflammation and make getting around easier.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Brette,

He is lucky to have you. If you are already taking care of his potty needs, yay! :D I totally agree with Bobbie about the medication. Glucosamine is super cheap, you can get it at Wal-Mart or anywhere. It takes a month or more to "build up" but it does help. NSAIDs (anti-inflammatory pain meds) can be a godsend for dogs just as for humans. On the turning, I don't know, I've never had a pug. Both of my paralyzed small dogs can turn themselves. My medium dog (37 lbs, long body, short legs) could not, and my golden retriever could not. So, maybe you'll have to turn him or maybe not. If he has a strong preference for lying on one side, you would want to turn him at least for a short while, if he is capable of doing it himself but just doesn't. :) If you can keep his skin dry at all times, you will have very little worry of sores. Moisture seems to have a lot to dog with starting sores. I highly recommend malewraps if he ever dampens his bedding. The other thing is to avoid letting him scrape himself on any of the pressure points (such as the hip/pelvis) because you can start a sore that way. I'd suggest you may need to do what I do with my dog, get a playpen, let the dog be in the playpen when you are not there to supervise. That way you can avoid scrapes.
Some homemade ideas are here (these do not take weight off the front like the custom carts Bobbie mentioned so may not be as good):

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... =4&t=15565

They make little suits for dogs to drag around in, that give protection to the skin. This is something you could also make yourself if you like.

http://handicappedpets.com/www/index.php/component/k2/item/54-drag-bags.html
http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles/murphy.htm

:pastel:
Brette

Post by Brette »

Oh thanks for your replies everyone! That's exactly what i need.

So small dogs can turn themselves with their front legs? I work all day but i could get someone to turn him at lunch. Would that be enough? And happily I have very few things around for him to hurt himself on. And lots of short-pile rugs which he is better on than tile.I'm on the frist floor of my building so its easy to get him in and out for toilet breaks. I do want to spare him of bed sores and things though if i can. He is very reliable potty wise after I've taken him out for a pee and a number two. So he's never wet. I have tons of comfy beds around for him but i guess i should make sure they are providing enough support. Noted on the meds. i have glucosamine. He doesn't seem to be in any pain really so I'm not sure he needs pain killers or anti inflammatories.

I've been thinking about this alot lately and I'm of the mind that as long as he doesn't seem sad or in pain, we'll both just manage somehow. I'm not sure if that's selfish of me or not. He weighs 19 lbs so he's easy to pick up and take places. This weekend we sat out in the sunshine at a small cafe down the street. He sat there and people reached down and scratched under his chin. He stumbled around a bit but he seemed to enjoy his afternoon, sniffing the spring air and being petted.

Anything else anyone can think of that i should be aware of?
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Hi Brett

I wrote a long post to you yesterday but have seen it didn't go through:(

Anyway, I have an 11 year old Pug, same weight as your Boy, with DVDD. She was suddenly paralysed in the hind legs over a year ago, we got lucky because I found this Site and turned her issue around from thinking Euthanasia to having a happy and content Dog who barks for Europe (we live in Spain).

I see the other Members have covered most Points so I won't repeat my Post of yesterday but just to say I did buy a Cart for her but she wasn't really interested, she gets around just fine in her own Fashion. If I want her to walk around the garden and terrace to keep her muscles toned, I use a scarf and loop that under the belly just forward of the hind legs, it works a treat. I did invest in a purpose made harness but it was far too clumsy and big for such a small dog.

Yes, Duchess moves around on her front legs very well and can certainly turn herself. Bear in mind our Dogs are Senior Pugs and don't need to be tearing about like a Terrier Puppy :)

Really, all I can say as extras to do are give his legs, hip area a massage when you can and most important give him a good scratch under the chin, ears and around face etc....the bits they used to scratch with their hind legs!! They love it!

Sounds like you are doing just great, both of you.
Sharon xxx
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
Brette

Post by Brette »

Thank you Sharon! I don't know why i never thought of a scarf to put around him to walk him a bit. That's a great idea. And its nice and soft. I will definetely keep massaging his legs. He loves that, even though i'm not sure how much of it he can actually feel. Pugs are such happy little guys. I have to keep remebering that he doesn't seem to care that he can't move well, even though i feel so sorry for him. He just wants another cookie.

It's great to hear about how others are managing.
I think i will buy one of these for him!

CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Strollers are great, but I recommend single front wheels (or a double wheel in the center) as they turn so much easier (make sure it swivels.)
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Hey, don't forget the Scratching! As Owners of Special Needs Dogs we are all joined together
Last edited by Shaz on Tue May 03, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
Brette

Post by Brette »

Just an update! I bought the stroller, it's hilarious and fun. People gave me some funny looks but i think they were more amused than anything seeing a litle pug out for a stroll in the sunshine. He sat up almost the entire time, looking around and sniffing ther air, until it got quite hot and he decided to lie down a bit in the stroller. ROUGH LIFE. Happily my labrador is a good dog and I can manage both the stroller and walking the lab at the same time.

He really does seem to be enjoying life though despite his immobility. he still plays tug of war (sitting) with the lab and he really seems to enjoy going for stroller walks. I can't just put him down because I feel sorry for him. He is a bit broken but I don't think he's ready to go yet.