Riley got his new wheels today!

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
riley'smom

Riley got his new wheels today!

Post by riley'smom »

Hi everyone

My last post was entitled "discouraging call from vet" and today's title is a lot more optimistic! Turns out that Walkin Wheels headquarters is located in the town next to mine, so I called to rent a wheelchair today and got to pick it up this afternoon. I even got to meet the inventor and shake his hand which was super cool!

We decided that the vet could have his opinion and we could have ours. Hence the wheelchair! I even have been getting catheter training the past few days (something I NEVER thought I could do). We are committed to giving Riley as much time as possible before making any final decisions. He did fantastic in his wheelchair today. We let him tool around for about a 1/2 hour and then he has been sleeping since. I think he is going to adjust just fine to his new wheels!

Thanks for all your encouragement and kind thoughts....we thought the end was near and decide that it wasn't over until it is over.

:D
Christine

Re: Riley got his new wheels today!

Post by Christine »

Well...alllllllright! We are gonna need some pictures. You go, girl! :snoopy:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:wow: That's just cool! :D Bet he was thrilled to feel the wind in his face again. :hurray:
slshepherds

Post by slshepherds »

That's great to hear :elephant: I have two paralyzed dogs, a corgi and a Lab and wouldn't change a thing ... Well ok, I wish Carl was slower and didn't keep destroying carts, but otherwise no complaints.

I adopt and rescue special needs dogs and long ago stopped listening to people telling me what they couldn't do. I'm lucky in that I have a great group of friends and vets who may think I'm nuts but go all out to help me provide the best for my dogs. I like that you say it aint over til it's over - I'm betting you'll have a long time together.

Just one thing I'd recommend. I do routine urine CULTURES (not urinalyses) two to three times a year. Paralyzed dogs are prone to UTI's and if you are catheterizing you are at increased risk again. UTI's are a fact of life for down dogs, but catching them early and getting them on the right antibiotic quickly is important.

Can't wait to see pictures
Joanne
Carl, Tiny, Freckles (paralyzed Lab, mix and Red Heeler)
Sam I Am (Lymphoma, Lab)
Eli, Aoibhe, Tesla (limb deformities, GSDs and Lab mix)
Mochridhe (storage disease, GSD)

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
http://www.paralyzeddogs.org
sunspirit

Post by sunspirit »

That's great news about getting the loaner chair! I haven't been on the boards in awhile but just posted yesterday about cathetering my pug Tucker. He has a spinal deformity and uses a wheelchair and stroller. I went back and read your story about Riley and I hope he pulls through everything. It's wonderful that you are doing everything you can for him.

Since you just started cathetering, did your vet by any chance show you a method for cathetering Riley with one person? I'm looking for whatever information I can get since it looks like I may be on my own soon. My roommate has been helping me 2 days/week and then volunteers help the other 5 days. I am amazed and grateful for people's willingness to help him.

I'm with you - I never thought I could catheter Tucker but it's not that big of a deal, especially when looking at the alternatives. He's such a happy little camper and a loving spirit.
Lauren & Tucker

Tucker http://www.dogster.com/?299836

riley'smom

Post by riley'smom »

Tucker is so cute! I love those little pug faces. We have learned that my husband is much more at ease with the catheter than I am (I can do it in a pinch). Now that we have the wheelchair Michael does the catheter while Riley is standing and the pee comes out very quickly (more like a normal stream of a dog that just is peeing normally). The vet said it had to do with gravity. Michael did it alone while Riley was standing in the chair for the first time tonight and had no problem. Normally my role was to pet Riley's head in my lap while Michael changed his oil as he likes to say. Michael basically gets down on the floor (like you would for an oil change) and just inserts the catheter in and has the bowl under him. Now, Riley has long legs so there is more room for Michael to get under and put the tube in. It might be more difficult with a short legged pug. There were a few occasions that Michael did it alone while Riley was laying down too. I don't know about Tucker, but for the most part, Riley doesn't move at all through the procedure. Sometimes he doesn't want to lay down because he knows it is coming, but he doesn't really need to be restrained during the process. We were told by the vets that Riley is one of the best dogs they have seen with the catheter so we may be super lucky on that front.

Glad to hear that your tucker is a happy little guy. I have read about some people who say their dogs really seem depressed or unhappy or in pain. That would probably make our decision easier if he was just miserable because we wouldn't want to do that to him. But as long as he keeps smiling and being normal in every other way it is so worth it! Funny how they and us adapt to these situations. Good luck with Tucker!
Christine

Post by Christine »

Wow...that is wonderful news! Talk about adjusting to a new normal. Many of us have found that our animals really do want to help us help them and it makes things so much easier for all of us. I am so happy for you and for Riley. :trophy:

Hi Lauren! Glad you and Tucker stopped in to help.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

riley'smom wrote: Michael changed his oil as he likes to say. !
:hysterical: Love that phrase!
Andysmom3

Post by Andysmom3 »

That sounds like great news. I think it is great you don't listen to all the negative things the vet says. My vet is the same, our little Andy is still at the clinic but should be coming home tomorrow. He had a ivdd surgery and now can't move his hind legs. The doctor was telling me how complicated it will be to take care of him and the urinary aspect...I told him I took care of my mom who was handiccapped for 3 years on a wheelchair and I am sure taking care of our little shih tzu that is 8 lb can't be harder than that. I wish they would not be so negative all the time, it is bad enough being worried sick with our furbabies having to go through this without having to hear them say more negative things.
I am sure your baby will get used to his new wheels and be just as happy as before as will my little Andy.
riley'smom

Post by riley'smom »

Hi Andysmom,

I totally agree with you. I think some vets think that it is just too much for us to handle which leaves us questioning whether we know what we are getting into. I think they mean well, and maybe for the majority of people it would be beyond what they can handle. Some of us can handle it though! I know that we were told we would have to deal with his bowel movements getting all over him and sitting in a mess and that has honestly been a non-issue for the most part. Yes, he sometimes doesn't know he is pooping, but he is getting better and it takes all of 2 minutes tops to clean up. The catheter is less than 10 minutes a day -- not a huge deal! I would completely agree that taking care of a little shih tzu is going to be a lot easier than taking care of a person who is in a wheelchair. I was just telling my husband today that the best decision we ever made was to give Riley a chance. We were told to let it go around 4 weeks and this past Friday was 4 weeks for him since his FCE. He is just now starting to making improvements (tiny as they may be, they are definitely improvements!).

Andy is very lucky to have you in his corner. We know our dogs better than anyone else and I really think if the time comes to change our course, we will know.

Good luck to you and Andy!
shaesgrammi

Post by shaesgrammi »

Hi everyone, I am a newbie and wanted to say how happy it is to find you all. I am so happy for Riley as well. I live in Ontario Canada and just adopted a sweet little dog named Turbo. He was rescued from Greece. He was hit by a car and was left in the garbage..He was saved and now we have him..He got his wheels about 7 weeks ago and he is loving it! Trouble is now that he is having rehab, laser therapy and hydro therapy he is not in his wheels as much and he is dragging his knees. They were healed but now are getting red and sores again. Do any of you have this problem with your dogs? So so happy for the wheels for Riley..they give them such hope and you can see it in their eyes.. :D
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi shaesgrammi,

What size of dog is Turbo? They make drag bags for these dogs if he's not too big.

http://handicappedpets.com/www/index.ph ... g-bag.html
http://www.k9-carts.com/K9-Carts-Produc ... -a-pet.php
http://www.k-9cart.com/Catch-Protect/Pr ... e.tpl.html

I keep my paralyzed dog in a playpen part of the day, and she is usually not out unless I am home where I can monitor her.

:stream:
shaesgrammi

Post by shaesgrammi »

Turbo weighs 28lbs. He has put on quite a bit of weight since coming to Canada. He was around 20lbs when he arrived..He is about 24 inches in length from the base of his tail to the back of his neck. Roughly that is.. :lol:

I saw those and wondered how he would do with that? I emailed some people on the internet for ideas and they gave me this website to look at, seems interesting..What do you all think..Sorry I dont mean to Hijack the thread just got excited when I saw that Riley got his wheels! Yay for Riley :trophy:

Here is the link below that Lisa sent me from dogleggs.com

http://www.k9topcoat.com/pilot.asp