Help for a paralyzed cat months after injury?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Sparrow

Help for a paralyzed cat months after injury?

Post by Sparrow »

I am considering the adoption of a cat (Zeppelin) that is paraplegic after being shot by a pellet gun last September. His owners were unable to pay for the surgery to remove the pellets, which they were told may not allow him to walk again anyhow, so they chose to provide the best for him without surgery. They were unable to handle all his special needs, however, and he moved in with his foster mom within a few months of his injury.

She has taken him in for acupuncture, but I do not know about other therapies. He has some movement in his rear legs, but cannot walk (he scoots around the house, and uses a cart sometimes as well.) She does reflexive walking with him in a sling, and the vet was impressed by his abilities. He has regained some movement in his tail and can twitch it at times. He wears diapers, and it is unclear whether he has bladder awareness, but foster mom thinks he may be pushing when he has bowel movements. He dances on his front legs during them rather than them just leaking out.

I have a lot of questions, and wonder a lot about what this guy would be like in my life. What I'm really wondering about is how much change could be expected at this point. I know each case is individual, and if I brought him into my life I'd be prepared for him to remain as he is for the rest of his life (he is only four years old,) but what has been experienced by others?

I suggested to his foster mom that she look into laser therapy. Would laser therapy help this late? Again, I know no one can know, but have others tried it months after the initial injury? What sort of therapies could I try, and what might I expect from them? Foster mom wants to try hydrotherapy. She said he does fine with his evening baths.

He sounds like he has adapted well, and really thrives on the help he is given (except the diapers. :wink: ) What might I expect long term as far as other problems? Bladder and bowel trouble? Arthritis in the front limbs? So many unknowables, but I need to wrap my mind around things before moving forward. His foster mom sounds great, and assured me she would take him back into her home with no judgement should someone adopt him and ever decide it was too much, but I don't want to have that happen. :wub:

He's a three hour drive away, so I can't just meet him on a whim, but I will at least be up that way in a month if not sooner either way.
CarolC

Re: Help for a paralyzed cat months after injury?

Post by CarolC »

I'm sure you're right, the future is unknowable. My dog was paralyzed from a spinal fracture and continued to improve noticeably for over 2 years, and improved in small ways even after that. I think it is one of those situations where you would have to be prepared for him to remain the same, and if he improves that is great and if he doesn't you weren't counting on it anyway.

I don't remember hearing a lot about arthritis in the front legs of paralyzed cats, perhaps someone else will know of a case. For some reason I think that is more of an issue with dogs. You sound like you are really focussed on his needs, he would be a lucky cat. Possibly the bigger life situations could (?) present a challenge at some point later. Money, housing, job, relationships? When I was young I couldn't afford to lose a quarter in the coke machine and the expense of diapers would have been out of reach. I am glad I didn't have a pet at that time. I have known a lot of people who could not afford a pet deposit for an apartment. I'm not sure how much the foster spends on diapers every month, you might want to ask. Also, you might want to think of how many more years the kitty will live, and what if you marry and have a new baby to care for. Also will your job require you to travel, or will it keep you away long hours when the cat might need care? For me, the only time I have really been in a bind having a paralyzed dog was when I was called for jury duty and had to be away from home all day for days on end. If you have family in another city and like to travel there during the holidays, will he go with you? Things like that...

As far as the physical therapy, they do have hydrotherapy for cats, here is a video. :D

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17409&hilit=+cat+hydrotherapy
Christine

Re: Help for a paralyzed cat months after injury?

Post by Christine »

I just checked the post on Facebook and this sweet baby was rescued on February 20th. :elephant:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08