Cold Laser Therapy

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Lfisher

Cold Laser Therapy

Post by Lfisher »

Our 7 yo Aussie recently diagnosed with ivdd. We opted not to do surgery as it is chronic, in several discs and she has aa lot of arthritis issues also. Just trying to manage her pain and give her as much mobility as possible. We do acupuncture, which helps pain, not neuro issue. Our traditional beet says he has had big success in some dogs wi cold laser therapy. We've tried it for about a month, seems to help a couple days after tx, then "wears off."

Anyone out there have experience with his treatment?

Thanks! And so happy to find this group, our girl is happy and willing, we want to do right by her and your suggestions sure help! I'm tired of getting stares when we take her out like we are torturing her.....
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Re: Cold Laser Therapy

Post by Bobbie »

I've seen research on acupuncture helping. None on cold laser (one way or the other.) But it does help with arthritis so should help with pain management. What are you doing for pain? (Meds.)
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Lfisher

Re: Cold Laser Therapy

Post by Lfisher »

Evidently the cold laser stimulates cell growth and blood flow to the area. I've seen dogs at our vet that came in paralyzed with no deep pain perception that now walk in on their own. Unfortunately, our girl isn't getting as much help. She went for tx yesterday and today is worse than ever. She can barely stand on her own, has no idea where her back legs are. We are using a sling today for the first time and I'm ordering a wheelchair for her also.

For pain, she is on adequan and metacam. The metacam is new, and I'm not seeing too much help from it. She is also on a Chinese herb. Our acupuncturist Ina's a DVM and is also licenses in traditional Chinese medicine. When we took Daisy in at first, she was in pain in her back and stifles. The pain is managed well now, but the neuro issues seem to be worsening.

I also massage her legs and spine daily.