Cat splints, laser treatments and an update

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Troopee

Cat splints, laser treatments and an update

Post by Troopee »

Hello again. I can't believe we haven't posted since Dec. 2012.
Troopee continues to drag one of his back legs. He is "knuckling" (the toes are turned under and his weight is on what should be the top of his paw) most of the time. Although, I do see him put the foot down normally sometimes.
He is getting low level laser treatments every month or two, when we can afford it. He likes them and walks better for a few days after each treatment. What do you think about laser treatments?
I am mostly concerned about wear on the top of his toes and am considering getting him a splint. I see the splints and booties for dogs here on handicapped pets. Where are the splints for cats? Our vet has not suggested splinting. Is this a bad idea? When and how have you used splints for nerve damaged kitty limbs?
critters
Founding Member

Re: Cat splints, laser treatments and an update

Post by critters »

My experience with Koi says that you're best doing splints BEFORE contractures set in. Koi had to have his tendons clipped, and even that didn't relax the contractures enough for him to use a standard splint. Cats use the smallest dog splints, unless you need to have a custom one made.
Troopee

Post by Troopee »

I'm sorry Critters, I don't understand. What are contractures?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Troopee,

I do not know if this is very similar to your kitty or not. This is Fripple, who wore a shoe on his foot. I think his problem was more that he was walking on his hocks, while your kitty is knuckling, but you can look at it anyway. (It is an cached version of a webpage.)

http://handicappedpets.com/gallery/fripple11/index.htm
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Contractures are when, for instance, they've walked knuckled for so long that the tendons shorten so that the toes can't be straightened out again.
Troopee

Post by Troopee »

Thanks CarolC.
Fripple is a sweetheart. He looks a lot like our Butterscotch, who has had surgery on both of his hips for femur head removal. (The amazing hipless kitty.) But Fripple has the white whisker pads and chin our Trooper has. awww!

So, anyone out there have a cat who knuckles?
Troopee

Post by Troopee »

critters wrote:Contractures are when, for instance, they've walked knuckled for so long that the tendons shorten so that the toes can't be straightened out again.
Wow! That sounds like Trooper is headed for trouble. His foot is so limp, it turns under if I straighten it out while he is standing, but the rest of his leg is stiff. When we pick him up he curls into a C shape. :( My husband tries to do therapy on his leg and can move the hip a little but Troopee nips when he tries to move the knee joint.
He is such a good boy. He hauls himself up the stairs when he thinks it is bedtime, while his brofur, Butter, insists on being carried.

P.S. CarolC, where do you get the kitty diapers? Trooper leaks when we pick him up. He still uses the litterbox on his own but he is missing more often than a few months ago.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Koi was a knuckler; he had contractures.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Troopee wrote:where do you get the kitty diapers? Trooper leaks when we pick him up. He still uses the litterbox on his own but he is missing more often than a few months ago.
You know, I don't think Fripple's mom has been here recently or I would ask her. It looks like they are just regular disposable baby diapers. There are some videos on youtube about using disposable diapers for a cat, if you would like some links.
Troopee

Post by Troopee »

We are sad to report that Trooper has crossed the Rainbow Bridge. He developed urine scalds and other complications from his incontinence to the point that his bladder was backed up. The acupuncture and laser treatments did help him for a few days but then he was right back to dragging his legs and soiling himself. He had some contractual, not in the tendons of his toes but in the leg muscles. The veins in his back paw where so messed up the vet had to put the needle in a front paw.
We had a wonderful 15 years together. Trooper will be missed.
Thank you for your help and advice over the years.