Reflexive urination???

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
pattyd7

Reflexive urination???

Post by pattyd7 »

Question?
Prissy I believe has started to have times where she releases some of her urine. Even though the bladder isn't full. She's in her sitting position as always. She walks w/ her front arms. It's not every day etc but...
I asked the Dr. via email and he said it maybe reflexive urination. Does anyone know what this is? What I should expect? ?
Thanks,
Patti / prissy
critters
Founding Member

Re: Reflexive urination???

Post by critters »

Hmm. It could be. I wonder if she might not be getting full and leaking? I know you say she's not full, but could she be?
pattyd7

Post by pattyd7 »

no, I've gotten pretty good at the emptying. I've had the dr go behind me too. He told :
Sometimes their reflexes get messed up so a stimulus in the rear elicits an inappropriate response. In this case perhaps something touching or rubbing her back end causes her bladder to reflexively contract making some urine come out.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

It sounds a little like the description you can see in the expressing article if you scroll down to where it says Stimulating urination.
http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... =5&t=16027
The article also has two videos showing urination by external stimulation on cats (same principle for dogs).
pattyd7

Post by pattyd7 »

Carol,
Do you think she could have partial bladder control? What would that be exactly?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I can't tell if she has partial bladder control or not. And I totally understand that not being able to see what is going on inside and what progress is being made can drive you nuts. Something you might look for is, when you express her bladder, see if she seems to be helping you. For example you may squeeze her to get her started, but then she may be expelling the urine partly herself, not just by your squeezing. It can take months for bladder control to return if it is going to. My dog's physical therapist said you need to give it at least 3 months to see if bladder control will return, and 6 months to be sure. Whatever you have at 6 months is about what you can expect to have. BUT that is only a guideline. We have had pets on this message board that began to develop bladder control after 6 months. I remember one was at 10 months. It just shows that this takes time. I wish I could give you a more definite answer.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Yes, when Buddy first came home I didn't know how to express him the regular way, so we made do with "baby style" until I figured out where his bladder was. :mrgreen: It can be VERY handy in a pinch.