xmas ideas

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
JaynTinks

xmas ideas

Post by JaynTinks »

Not sure where to put the post as it could fit in a few categories. But this was my first idea to encourage her stand in front of the bean cube in her new cart for about 15 mins a day.

Image (hope that worked!)

It would be placed in the middle and the dog only has to nudge the end with its mouth to get it to spin round which as it does releases treats so dog always ends up with one 'arm' of the puzzle in front of it full of treats. Ideal if you feed kibble for breakfast and just want to add a few tasty tidbits such as bits of cocktail sausage or cheese.

If you feed some more like the applaws flaked chicken or fish mixed in with kibble maybe a Slo-bowl?

The reason I thought bean cube might work better than a childs table or something is because of the angle of the front wheels on the quad cart.

The cube should fit between them and can maybe remove the chin bar if necessary (if dog is only standing) so it can reach the puzzle or food bowl in front of it.

I think wet food maybe easier in a kong or starpod etc and fed with them laid down so they can empty it properly same for chews or bones.

On sunny days my old girl loves to lie in the ball pool pit in the garden and I scatter treats in it hidden under all the balls she can lie in it (without the cart).

The Trixie Turnaround can be played with dog laid down too.

Any other toys/puzzles that could be played different ways for dogs with limited ability to chase or move round a toy?
critters
Founding Member

Re: xmas ideas

Post by critters »

Great ideas! :smart:
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Wow! I've never seen some of those before. :trophy: So basically you are looking at getting her to eat slowly so she will be standing longer but with something interesting to do. I see what you mean, my dogs usually have their food gone in about 1 minute. :-) She would probably love the ideas. At the same time, if you put her in the cart she will be standing with or without snacks or anything like that, but it would be more interesting this way. Eating will be good for getting her to weight shift forward, which she would naturally be doing if she is weak in the rear. Maybe you could also make a kibble trail for her to slowly follow and munch. If you do it on an indoor surface or cement, she might be able to go by herself one step at a time, or if she needs help it is only a lot of very small pushes for you as she progresses following her kibbles. Another idea would be to hide strong smelling kibbles around the room, under a towel or behind things and let her work at getting them out, kind of like an Easter egg hunt. I remember Sheri put a string on Pete's bowl and pulled it to get him to walk. :smart:

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... ing#p14537
JaynTinks

Post by JaynTinks »

I used to put treats on floor for her to sniff out before but she is getting the Quad cart this time with front wheels and chin rest so I don't think she'll be able to bend down that far as she's a medium dog (23" to shoulder) so would need to put her head down a fair bit to pick something up of the ground.

So trying to split games between one's she can do laying down and one's she can do standing up and of course she will go for a little walk round the garden. (if no snow/ice/heavy rain) I ordered the cart and got a treadmill coming too so can work on building strength up in her front legs and body, maybe we can get to her using it as a regular cart by next summer then she will be able to bend down to ground to pick up treats hidden in garden... but it doesn't matter if she can still only use it as a quad cart next summer, she will be 15 yrs old after all by next March!

Here she is off-roading in her dog bike trailer that we call 'Inca's Chariot' :D

CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Bobbie had a suggestion on puzzles in this post:

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... les#p92990

Here is the website for the puzzles.

http://www.nina-ottosson.com/

What brand are your puzzles, in case someone asks?

Actually, I went back to find links to your posts to show Bobbie some of the other neat puzzles or toys you have posted, and the photos in your posts have disappeared. :? Can you get them back? They would be good examples for other people who come along to search for ideas. If you upload them using the Upload Attachment link at the bottom of the compose screen, they will be permanent.
JaynTinks

Post by JaynTinks »

CarolC wrote:Bobbie had a suggestion on puzzles in this post:

http://handicappedpet.net/helppets/view ... les#p92990

Here is the website for the puzzles.

http://www.nina-ottosson.com/

What brand are your puzzles, in case someone asks?

Actually, I went back to find links to your posts to show Bobbie some of the other neat puzzles or toys you have posted, and the photos in your posts have disappeared. :? Can you get them back? They would be good examples for other people who come along to search for ideas. If you upload them using the Upload Attachment link at the bottom of the compose screen, they will be permanent.
what do you mean the photo's in my post has disappeared? cos they are still all showing on my screen?

I'll go through it doing a link to where to get the games when I get back as I'm just about to get up to take my dogs out before the parks get busy (its 7.48am in UK) Most of her puzzles are Nina Ottossons the tubes one at bottom is Trixie Turnaround and the top one with 3 arms that spins is a new one out over here I'll go look on the site again I haven't ordered that yet but planning to get it for her for xmas when I order their food and xmas stocking stuff.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

I see your pics just fine. It may be that the board had a brain fart at that time so they disappeared for a while. :mrgreen:
JaynTinks

Post by JaynTinks »

I can see them all on both computers. The top one is by 'Outward Hounds' you can google it and see who in US (or Canada) sells their stuff? Pets At Home sells them in the UK,but I don't know if you have a Pets At Home over there?

The puzzles with tubes is called 'Trixie Turnaround', they also do a windmill version.

The ball pit was just the largest fabric puppy playpen (for large breed puppies) I could find on ebay and the balls were from my local Asda (Walmart?) supermarket.

I heard the 'Toys R US' in US also has a section for pet toys and has some interactive puzzles in there, the UK one's don't.

We have some puzzles by 'Dog Games' and rest are Nina Ottosson. Usually I just google 'interactive dog puzzles' and see what comes up.

Some toys are not particulary for dogs. My young collie loves the ball mazes I make for him. I got a basic bee bot maze and instead of us programming a toy to go round the courses he pushes his tennis ball round. (he doesn't use a cart)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 67b525663c

It's way too easy for him now, so he's getting some mega bloks (large lego for toddlers) so that I can build small walls and extend the maze to go round the house. It's a great game when we're stuck inside on long rainy days or when we're snowed in.

Inca likes a simple toddler game called 'put it in the post' where you get a plastic post box and some 'letters' and she posts them in

She could stand when I took that photo so she'd still be able to play it standing in her cart if I place the postbox on a box or the beancube at the right height in front of her, or she can also play it laid down.

I think you just need to look at games from a different angle, does the dog need to be able to move around the puzzle to be able to get to all the pieces? do they need to be able to chase it round and reach right down to the floor to pick up the treats? (difficult for a tall dog in a quad cart, maybe possible if its a corgi or dachshund you have?)

The beancube I got from a store called Argos over here, they sell furniture and all sorts, you are likely to find one in a soft furnishing's dept of a store where they sell beanbags or footstools maybe? It is just a beanbag shaped like a cube and a little more solid. Just google 'bean cube'!

Hope that helps!! :D
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Ohmygosh! Look at that! She's putting the letter in the box, I didn't know dogs would do that. That is just COOL! 8)

I'm attaching screenshots of what I see in Firefox or Internet Explorer. See where the images are supposed to be, but they're not showing? Now the new images in this thread do show, it seems to be the previous posts that don't show the images, no idea why. You may have to click the pics to enlarge them to see them better.
images_Firefox.PNG
images_Internet_Explorer.PNG
JaynTinks

Post by JaynTinks »

That's odd I'm on Firefox too, maybe cos I just did it via image location and they were on FB? Some of them were mobile uploads from old phone so aren't on my computer hard drive, they were just uploaded straight to FB.

Though I used same method putting pic of Inca posting the letter and you said you could see that? :?

I'll have to go through photo's on hard drive but will take me a while to find them I've got thousands of photo's on there now.

The cart arrived today I've been trying to put it together, I'll have to finish it tomorrow as my back is aching now had to come and lie on bed watching telly (its 7pm over here). I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow.

Can you adjust the sides/height with the dog still in the quad cart? As I'm having to lift her out try it on another setting , lift her back and its a bit wobbly as I haven't put the finishing screws in yet until I get the height/length of sides right. But as she can't stand or sit up on her own I'm worried about it breaking while its having to hold her full weight and its still wobbly.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I understand what you are saying, but I don't know the answer of whether it will stress the cart to adjust it with the dog in it and before the screws are in. I sent an email to Nancy at Handicapped Pets, hopefully she will be able to answer that. But really, is there anyone you can call to come over and help out for half an hour? If you can get a friend to come over, maybe you can pay them back with some homemade biscuits or something. :chef:
nbregger

Post by nbregger »

Hi,

You can adjust the quad wheelchair height or length while your dog in is the wheelchair, just lift up the back bar a bit to make it higher. It you want to lower the height, just push the button. However, you won't be able to adjust the width while in the cart. If you have any questions, please call me at 888-253-0777.
Nancy :thankyou: