Please give me some hope.....

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Kim, I hope you can post a picture of little Haley if you get a chance.

Since you have to go back to work tomorrow, will you be able to come home at lunch time to potty her? My dog needs to be expressed and I express her before work, at lunch, after work, and at bedtime.

On the laundry basket, I used to put my dog in a laundry basket on the floor of the car for a 2-block ride to the school and back. One time she was in the basket and I got out of the car and by the time I walked around to open the passenger door, she was on the passenger seat! She looked every bit as surprised as I was. She is 6 lbs and has rear end paralysis. What I'm saying is, you might want to be extra sure your little dog can't climb out of the basket. We once had a paralyzed beagle climb out of a baby crib. They can do more than you think.

During the day my dog stays in her crate. Here she is with her crate, water bowl attached to the side, Squeaky Squirrel, and her blankie. Chihuahuas love to burrow so she always needs a blanket. I finally bought some fleece baby blankets at Target. It seemed she was awfully cold after her injury.
crate1_137.jpg
For about the first month or more after my dog was injured, she wouldn't eat anything. At one point I stood in the aisle of PetsMart in tears because we had tried everything there was. I was afraid she wasn't going to recover well because she just wouldn't eat. I finally ended up cooking ground beef for her and she ate that. She would also eat Gerber baby food chicken or turkey if I put it on my finger and she licked it off. For some strange reason, she was willing to eat Milk Bones, too. You may find other things your dog is willing to eat, I just had to keep experimenting.

There is a canned food that is especially good for pets recovering from injury or illness. It is called Science Diet a/d. It is extra palatable and extra nutritious, and if your dog doesn't eat a normal amount, she'll still get the benefit of the extra nutrition. You might buy a can of it from the vet and see if she'll accept it. If not, you tried.
FYI

Post by FYI »

KimK wrote:I've read several articles that talk about "spinal walk"....what exactly is this?
http://www.dachshund-dca.org/discbook.html wrote:Occasionally a dog that has transverse malacia of its thoracolumbar spinal cord (no deep pain sensation) can learn to "walk" again using the crossed extensor reflex that may still exist in the hindlimbs. Without motor connections to the brain, this reflex is "released" and causes the involuntary motor movements that are frequently observed in the limbs. Through extensive physiotherapy, many of these dogs learn to swing their bodies to get their hindlimbs under them and allow the reflex walking movements to be effectual. This form of walking is called spinal walking and looks a bit "motorized" but serves the function well.
cshell

To KimK & HaleyBop

Post by cshell »

Hi Kim,
My name is Michelle and I too have experienced a tragedy in the past 3 weeks. My precious girl, Muffyn (a Lhasa Apso) woke me up crying at 3:00am Jan. 23rd. She normally sleeps on the bed with me so it was unusual that she was on the floor. I soon discovered that she had lost the use of her back legs. She was in terrible pain. I rushed her to the ER and after x-rays were taken, I found out that it was a herniated disc. She is the light of my life and I refuse to give up hope. Everyday she seems to "recover" a little. We have found that doggie diapers are such a blessing. She can definitely feel because when I tickle her pads she draws her legs up. I am hoping that with time she will regain the use of her legs. I lay a towel in the shower and keep her back end washed and free of urine. She has gotten used to the blow dryer and loves wearing her diaper. I have spoken with a wonderful lady at "eddieswheels.com" that encouraged me by saying that most dogs do recover with rest and meds. My vet said that she has seen dogs with a lot worse disc problems walk away from it. But this incident has shown me just how much life, willpower and trust my little girl has. We will say a prayer for you and for HaleyBop!! :angel:
Attachments
new_pillow_and_bobo.jpg
pmilner

Post by pmilner »

Michelle, have a few questions to learn more about Muffyn's situation.

Are you doing 100% STRICT crate rest for 8 weeks? Details below. No thought should be on a wheelchair until crate rest is complete.

What are the names of the meds is Muffyn on? Is one of them a stomach protector such as human Pepcid?

Are you expressing her bladder? Typically she should stay dry between expressing so that diapers are not needed. The worry is that her bladder is overflowing leaving her open for a UTI.
http://users.cyberport.net/~milnerwm/Expressing.html

CRATE REST:
100% STRICT crate rest is very key to recovering. That means 24/7 in the crate except for potty breaks. No laps, no couch, no sleeping in bed with you, no meadering or walking around during potty times.

At potty time use a harness (no more collars as it is too stressful on the spine), a 6 foot leash and a sling to support and keep stable rear from wobbling and falling over.  The sling can be a scarf, an ace bandage, a wide belt. You stand in one spot and Muffyn can only take minimal steps to do business.
http://dodgergallery.ourdogs.net/recovery/slingwalk

Good information on doing crate rest properly
http://www.dodgerslist.com/lit/CrateRRP.pdf

Paula Milner
Lewis and Clark
Dachsie IVDD Care FAQ:
http://users.cyberport.net/~milnerwm/dachsieFAQ.html
KimK

HaleyBop

Post by KimK »

Well, had my "first" day away from Haley since her injury. I wasn't able to come home during lunch, I work about 35 minutes away, and my lunch break is only 1/2 hour. But I made sure her bladder was very empty before I left, I'm getting proficient at finding it and making sure she empties it completely. She was upset when I walked in, she had an episode of diarrhea while I was gone, and she hates to be "dirty". It was still warm (yuck), so I think it may of just happened. I gave her a quick bath with some baby wash, and then just cuddled her for a few minutes. Then back into the basket. I'm trying to be so good about keeping her immobile, so I just sit on the floor next to her with my hand in the basket. She snuggles her face into my hand, and falls asleep.

As for expressing her bowels, I have had no luck. I keep going over and over the video's that we sent, but I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I haven't tried the q-tip and vaseline, Haley seemed so upset when the vet took her temp. But now that her bowels are loose, I may not have a choice. Does pumpkin work to firm up the stool?

I tried the chicken broth, she still won't eat kibble. I did call my vet and she gave me some of the Science Diet a/d, but informed me that it may give her diarrhea also. Any other ideas?

I will try to post pictures of my Bop, but can't seem to get the hang of it. If I email them to someone, can you post them? Or tell me how to do it? She is such a sweetheart, cuter than cute!
Attachments
Haley_rose.JPG
Haley_petunias.JPG
Haley_pink.JPG
cshell

Response to PMilner

Post by cshell »

Hi,
Sorry, I did not know Muffyn's picture would appear so large. I checked the size and it conformed with the numbers allowed. Not sure how to reduce at this point.....advice??

Muffyn is getting crate rest. She is on predisome and Pepsid. I do gently massage her legs and thighs daily.
connie

spinal walking

Post by connie »

to kim,
i have video's on www.youtube.com of cricket spinal walking.
if you want to see them, go there, click on video's and type in conniecpu video's of cricket. it took him months, but my vets and i are very amazed at his walking and running.
also to michelle that just posted. please make sure you are 100% crate resting. also i don't want you not to have hopes, but tickling pads of feet and them pulling back isn't deep pain.
cricket did that early on, vets said it was just a reflex. but later on, months later, he got a small amount of deep pain.
now when i pinch his feet, he growls, but i have to do it very very hard for him to feel it. if i tickle his pads, he jerks them back.
never give up hope tho, i am a firm believer that it is always there. it takes time, crate rest, lots of P.T..
i am praying for your babies, i hope you both get the miracle i got with cricket.
keep us updated.
hugs, connie and cricket
pmilner

Post by pmilner »

NutriCal is a gel that is high in calories and gentle on the stomach (main ingredient corn syrup) runs about $4-8 a tube depending where you buy it.

Plain canned pureed pumpkin works both ways. If the HaleyBop has diarreah it firms the stool. If there is constipation it loosens the stool by moistening kibble with equal amounts of water and adding 1 tsp of pumpkin.

1 teaspoon of pureed pumpkin once a day.

The basket you are talking about, she really should be in a safe place like a wire crate, an ex-pen, a play pen, a baby crib. 2.5x1.5 times her body length.

Glad to hear you are getting better at expressing urine. Very hard to express diarrhea <ggg> Wait til her stool firms up. About 30-60 minutes before the body naturally expels poop, you will feel the poop in her rectum. A bit of stroking on either side and that encourages the muscles to start working to expel the poop
--
Paula Milner
Lewis and Clark
Dachsie IVDD Care FAQ:
pmilner

Post by pmilner »

Michelle, don't worry about the size of the picture, we'll be on page three soon.

Glad to hear she is on strict crate rest and on Pepcid for the Prednisone.

Now about expressing urine...how are you doing with that?
--
Paula Milner
Lewis and Clark
Dachsie IVDD Care FAQ:
cshell

Response to PMilner

Post by cshell »

Muffyn is actually doing it on her own. The vet did it in the beginning, but determined that she was getting the job done. She was on antibiotics just in case there was any infection. Her bowels are perfect, little tootsie rolls like they always were. Her tail is like a flag, telling me when to expect them....:) I guess that is why I have so much hope...because she is not in any pain, and everything seems to be working. She just can't support her weight, but will raise up on her knees. Again, sorry for the giant Muffyn!!
cshell

To Connie & Cricket

Post by cshell »

What a precious baby!! I would be thrilled if Muffyn could even do that good! She misses going to get the mail and all that amounted to was running to the front door and being carried to the mailbox!! I understand what you are saying about the reflex....I just cling to any sign. But the vet is checking for the deep pain and she does respond to that. Thanks to everyone for talking to me...the support of others who hurt like I do really helps!!!
KimK

HaleyBop questions.

Post by KimK »

I am so appreciative of all of you, I know I ask a million questions, but you are by far the best resource I've found. Your compassion and caring touch me so....you all are such special people. So, anyway, more questions for all of you.
I never leave the room while she is in the laundry basket...I have her crate in my bedroom so she can be near me at night. If I leave the room, she goes too! Thats whats nice about the basket, easily transportable. Haley only weighs 5 lbs, so shes easy to get around. I don't want to be picking her up a lot, in case of re-injury, so this works. It's a fairly good size basket, almost as large as her crate. I will take pictures and post them, if I can figure this (the picture thing) out! I tried it as an attachment earlier, didn't work so well.
I don't know if this is good or not, but for the first time post injury Bop tried to move around on her own. She actually tried to push herself up on her back legs in the crate! Since her injury, she hasn't moved around much unless I moved her, this is a big milestone! She would always be in the exact same position I had left her.
Should I be doing any kind of PT with her, so she doesn't lose muscle tone? I'm afraid to do it, I don't want to make anything worse. Would it be better to wait a while, and let her back heal more? Thats what my natural inclination is, but I only want what's best for my girl.
Thanks for the tip about pumpkin, it's off to Safeway to buy some! Hopefully, tomorrow will produce better results in the "poo" department.
pmilner

Post by pmilner »

Excellent news on the pushing up with her legs!!!! Now especially crate is the only safe place. Bop is a dog and they do the unexpected. All it takes is a couple of seconds of wrong movements to undo a week of crate rest. Put Bop's crate on a large plant dolly, a waggon.

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x4/p ... eo2504.jpg

With conservative crate rest, no PT until she is off all meds, there is no pain, approx 4 weeks *and* with your vet's blessing. Then you can do only the most gentle and least aggressive of the passive PTs.
http://www.dodgerslist.com/lit/Massage% ... rcises.htm
--
Paula Milner
Lewis and Clark
Dachsie IVDD Care FAQ:
KimK

Haley

Post by KimK »

What a great idea about a wagon. My grand-daughter has one out in my shed, it would be perfect for her crate! Thanks for the info about PT, she will be on prednisolone and pain meds for a little less than 3 more weeks. Her vet will see her back in two, and then discuss more with us.
Haley just had her first taste of pumpkin, she WAS NOT impressed!
KimK

HaleyBop

Post by KimK »

Hello to all of you wonderful support people....bless you all! It's been 12 hours since Haley had her first dose of pumpkin....she's had one more teaspoon full since then, this morning about 7 hours ago. (She actually "smiled" i.e bared her teeth at me when I gave it to her...she DOES NOT like it, but I'm making her eat it). No more diarrhea since the episode yesterday, but I still cannot get her to move her bowels. She had more chicken this morning, and actually licked some of the Science Diet a/d off my fingers, about a tablespoon full. She's always been a very picky eater, but always liked one special kind of kibble, Iams for toy dogs. She just sticks her nose up at it, no matter how I doctor it. I'm stopping at PetSmart to buy some of the NutriCal, I just want her to keep her strength up. She is trying to move around in her crate, she's actually turning around. Back legs are still not working, but at least she's trying. It's been 5 of the toughest days of my life, I cannot imagine trying to do all this with a larger dog. You all who are doing this must have the biggest hearts filled with love for these dogs. I feel like I'm on the verge of tears all the time. I actually had a co-worker yesterday, who told me "its just a dog, get over it, move on". I felt like punching him. I get so excited over every little nuance of normalcy that Haley displays...and even if she never is fully cured, I'll always be there for her.