need help and advice for parents dog

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Shaz

Re: need help and advice for parents dog

Post by Shaz »

Hi Sue and Julie and Clyde!

I have a 10 year old Pug who was suddenly paralysed in her back legs in February, floppy legs, no tail movements, nothing waist down worked. I was in tears thinking euthanasia, I had no knowledge or had not even heard of this problem except in a slower progressing disease seen in GSD's and some other Breeds.

I googled and found this site and with help from the caring people here I now have a very happy dog, all her bathroom issues dealt with following the instructions...She gets about in her own fashion, side saddle or with her legs crossed behind her using her forelegs to power her. She is not upset by her New Normal, that's just how each day is for her, alive and enjoying herself, barking and eating as normal.

My Pug didn't move her legs or tail for maybe 4 months. I didn't know until it was too late about the strict crate rest. Your Clyde will more than likely do better than Duchess as you got the right info. quicker. ANY movement is a good sign!

Clyde will continue to progress, it's not an overnight thing but as long as he is loved and cared for he will remain a happy little Guy and will adjust. Remember us Owners worry a lot more than our little 'uns. it's just another day "at the Office" for them, never doubt it.

A Big hug coming over for the Little Champ.
Sharon :)
2 x 10 year old Pugs, Duke and Duchess. Duchess has hind leg paralysis.
1 x 3 year old Maltese (Terror) Terrior! Oly
2 x 5 year old Greenwing Macaws, Missy and Rojo
Living in Spain.
sueandphil1945

Post by sueandphil1945 »

Hi Sharon,

thank you for your support. My husband and i have cried so much, yes a big man cried and sobbed so hard.

We are learning more each day how to cope and help Clyde. He is improving very gradual but every day is a bonus for him. If it was not for our daughter we would never had learned about this awesome website and the info she received. We are very gratful for all the advise and feed back.

Glad your little one is doing so well too.

Thank you again for your support and information.
my4turtles

Post by my4turtles »

here is clyde
Attachments
74656_1247873014569_1761774272_450515_4505175_n.jpg
IMG00147-20101229-1221.jpg
sueandphil1945

Post by sueandphil1945 »

the first picture is of Clyde the day we got him back from Pethotel thats when we didnt know anything about the crate. The second is in his crate, he seems so relaxed and settled in it
Christine

Post by Christine »

What a cutie pie! Does he have some terrier in his line? (I giggled at his matching "baby" sharing the blanket with him.

I am glad Carol mentioned about the Pepcid...I totally forgot about that Pred can upset a dog's tummy - I am not the expert here, just learned from others and you will too. We share experiences - even the tiniest triumphs keep us all going.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
sueandphil1945

Post by sueandphil1945 »

Thank you all three are special and they love their toys, but i must agree if you see the amount of toys they have you would think l could open my own dog toy store ha ha.

Yes l am glad you guys jogged my memory with the pepcid, clyde has it some times as he has a sensitive stomache. Then we have Snickers whos just over 2 years and is a brother to clyde. He has just started with his knee cap popping out, luckly he is not bad and i push it back but most of the time it goes back by its self. This only started about 4 weeks ago. Then we have Abby she is a Chuweenie, 4 1/2 mths old, we got her from the human society and its one of those shelters where they do euthenize animals. We have had her since she was 8 weeks old.
i will post pictures of them tomorrow so you can see our babies.

Have a good evening,

Sue :)
sueandphil1945

Post by sueandphil1945 »

his parents are 100% chu someone down the line must have been terrier
my4turtles

Post by my4turtles »

my mom forgot to add that she rescued the 2 boys from a breeder ( i have many more names for her )who wanted to keep breeding over and over and had no problem with breeding son with sister and mother with son and so on ... Just disgusting beyond words. All 3 have a great home now, who knows where the heck the would have been if it was not for my mom and dad.
Attachments
abby.jpg
snickers.jpg
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Oh just love those Photos! Clyde looks as snug as a bug in a rug :)

Sue, the more you and your husband get into the Swing of things the tears will go and you will be in Awe how these little and large Guys cope, they have such Pride and self pity just isn't on their Radar. They are simply amazing.

Remember, when the crate time is over and if Clyde isn't walking that well there is always a Cart for him to get about. I have seen so many Videos of Dogs going great guns in them. The best one was a Sheepdog herding his flock, unbelievable, going over very rough and hilly terrain. He probably won't need one but just thought I would say every problem has a solution.

Enjoy your New Year's Eve tomorrow with your Little 'Uns knowing that 2011 will see little Clyde very much there with you as always.

Living in Spain.
sueandphil1945

Post by sueandphil1945 »

Thank you Sharon, we are now being very positive, it is what it is and if clyde never regains use of his back legs then that is what we have to accept. We have been looking at the carts too if it comes to this then we will make sure that he has a nice custom built one.

For a little guy that has gone through trauma he is eating and drinking very well. He is starting to get a little honory with me when i change his diaper but thats ok hope that is a good sign that he is getting better. He loves his crate, believe it or not, he looks so snug and comfy.

A very Happy New Year to you too and your family and to everyone on this site.

Sue
:thankyou: :D
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

:thankyou: Sue, we'll be having a quiet one tomorrow, I've just got over Flu and my husband's still suffering...he has the Man Version :D

The Special Needs vary so much, there have been Dogs known to get up and walk after 3 years!! I bought a custom cart for Duchess ages ago but to be honest she doesn't need it, a Pug love to snuggle, eat, sleep. I use a rolled up scarf as a rear end support and twice a day I give her a walk around the terrace and garden with that, it's enough for her, other times she does her own thing to get about.

Life changes and hers certainly has but she really doesn't mind, it's just different.

Here's to our little Heroes :trophy:
Living in Spain.
my4turtles

Post by my4turtles »

ohh the mans version of the flue what can i say :lol: :lol: thats why is up to us woman to give birth :D
sueandphil1945

Post by sueandphil1945 »

Hi Sharon,

If a man could put his flu virus in a sling l am sure they would ha ha.
I am glad your little one is doing well, we are sure Clyde will, i think the first couple of weeks is the worst, but what ever the outcome we will adjust.

Hope you feel better
sueandphil1945

Post by sueandphil1945 »

Happy New Year to all the pet parents on this website.

Sue and my little guy Clyde :P
baileytrooper

Post by baileytrooper »

Just wanted to add about dog carts, if Clyde would need one, that Bailey loves his cart and adjusted beautifully. I got him a Walkin' Wheels, mostly because it is collapsable and allows for easier transport, though that wouldn't be a problem for adorable little Clyde.

We go hiking, and everything he loves....doesn't slow him down a bit! Feel free to check out our videos.

Best wishes for the New Year!
Steph
Bailey - 7 yr old GSD, Degenerative Myelopathy, dx- Jan '09
Trooper - 7 yr old GSD, blind (Optic Nerve Hypoplasia) and ideopathic epilepsy
Roo - 12 yr old GSD mix, recently torn cruciate ligaments

http://www.youtube.com/user/baileytrooper