12yr Old Basset Mix Keeps Vomiting

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Not eating for a long time tends to snowball, and I wonder if she needs to be forcefed to get her started. 5 days of not eating might make her too weak and yucky to eat. Something specific, like a/d, is best, but you can also use babyfood with no onion. Warm the food a little, mix in water, if necessary, and squirt it into her mouth with a biggish syringe. She might fight a little at first, but, hopefully, she'll take off on her own.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

You might also talk to doc about Subq as well

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

thinking about what critters says ... and throwing in more pennies onto the pile:

What did doc say about hydration? Dehydration?
Hydration is important, and can make a huge difference in the entire demeanor of Pebbles.

I got 2 bags and a bunch of very large sub-q needles for under $20 from my vet several years ago, and if I can sub-q, anyone can.

How are you doing this morning? I know you are flat worn out, and in need of some encouragement and emotional support. We are here for you, please know that.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Re: You might also talk to doc about Subq as well

Post by critters »

GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily wrote: and throwing in more pennies onto the pile:
:2cents: :mrgreen:

Good point about SQs!!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

With all the kind suggestions, I don't want to forget this dog is 12 years old and 12 is the lifespan of a basset. There may be little more that anyone can do, other than making the dog comfortable and showing love and respect. It is part of life that there comes a point where there is no cure for advanced old age.
kimchoi1

The End

Post by kimchoi1 »

Thank you for all of your support. Pebbles still wouldn't eat this morning and started vomiting again. I made the decision to let her go and finally be at peace. I had pretty much made my mind up last night but held onto the hope that she would be better this morning. I got up and cleaned her up then took her to the vet's office.

My friend met me and we sat waiting until they could squeeze us in. As we were getting into the car Pebbles stopped to sniff the ground and take a look around. I think she knew what was going on. She actually laid down in the back seat which isn't normal for her at all.

I kept waiting for a sign but she never gave me one. I did what I had to do for her. She was a good dog and I will always cherish the years we had together. In the end she went peacefully and I know that she's no longer in pain. In time hopefully the pain will lessen. I know that I did the right thing. Thank you for all of your support.
Attachments
TV 001.jpg
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

I am so very sorry!

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

She has the most soulful eyes. She was so lucky to have YOU!

What a gift you were to each other. I am so very sorry...
Tears for you both today...

Let us know how you are doing, and please post in the Rainbow Bridge, so we can offer our condolences and respect for both of you...
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/