Please give me some hope.....

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
KimK

Please give me some hope.....

Post by KimK »

I came home from work on Sunday, and my 2 1/2 year old chihuahua HaleyBop didn't meet me at the door as usual. After calling her, I found her dragging herself down the hallway to get to me. Her hind legs were paralyzed. I rushed her to an emergency vet, who then referred me to another ER vet 45 minutes away, that had neurological services. The on duty vet told me she had a herniated disk, but still had feeling in her legs. Surgery is not an option, I live on a fixed income and cannot afford the approximately $5200. The vet started her on prednisolone, and strict crate rest for 6 weeks. I have done nothing but cry for 48 hours. I am going back to her regular vet today, to learn how to express her bladder. She has been peeing on a peepad in her crate, but I want to be able to take her outside and support her while she pees, so she has a semi-normal routine. Can any one tell me anything else I should do for her? How long will it take before I start seeing some improvement? It is just tearing me apart. Thanks.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:slant: There's plenty of hope!! Start your research with the paralysis info in the sticky post at the top of this bb. There's also asticky on the incontinence bb; I can't remember if it's linked into the paralysis one.
Paul Coover

Post by Paul Coover »

There is always hope. Strict crate rest is what you need to follow, so your vet has given you some good advice to start with.

We have 9 dachshunds total.

We have 2 dachshunds that are paralyzed and use wheelchair carts. We also have Riley, a dachshund that we adopted as a downed dog but he recovered. Here is his story:

http://www.handicappedpets.com/gallery/riley11/

We also have Johanna, a dachshund that was left paralyzed from an attack with a baseball bat.

Here is a link to when Johanna and I were on the news in Boston last year.

http://www1.whdh.com/features/articles/specialreport/BO25472/

Pork Chop has a slipped disc in his neck that has left him paralyzed.

Handicapped and disabled dogs can live very happy and healthy lives, as I hope you can see. Remember, being disabled doesn't mean being destroyed!

It is important to keep a good, positive atitude right now. I know it is very difficult, but it is so important right now. Your dog will feed off of your energy, and you want to give them the best possible chance to recover as quickly as possible.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck!
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
Dianne

Welcome

Post by Dianne »

Hi Kim,

It's normal to want to cry the first few days or even longer.

You seem to be doing everything right. There is also the option of Carecredit that would allow you to have her surgery and pay for it later. It's a loan. Is that an option you would choose?

http://www.carecredit.com/

Even if you don't choose surgery, some dogs recover with steroids and crate rest. It depends on the severity of the injury.

Even if your pup doesn't recover, paralysis is NOT a death sentence. You can learn to express (I've done it for 3 years). Read instructions here for managing bowel and bladder care.

http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/ ... ic.php?t=4

It is VERY important to express the bladder of a paralyzed dog about 3 or 4 times or more times per day (especially more while on steroids). Otherwise, incontinent, paralyzed dogs could get a urinary tract infection UTI .

Many vets prescribe PEPCID to protect against stomach irritation when taking steroids. I don't know the dose.

**Cindi, or Paula should know the dose for a tiny dog. Help!**

Crate 6 to 8 weeks with NO cheating. Carry to express bladder, and bowel. If you express bowels you'll have a cleaner kennel.

Glad that you found us. It may seem hopeless at first, but there is hope.

Dianne
Last edited by Dianne on Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pmilner

Post by pmilner »

Paul and Dianne are very correct on the importance of crate rest. While this is an incredibly emotional time for you, do know that dogs do live with disc disease!!! Whether surgery is an option or not, your dog can enjoy life. It is also important to know that in the unlikely case that your dog becomes paralyzed, she or he can still live a happy, comfortable life through the use of a cart.

Make sure HaleyBop's stomach is protected from the steroid, prednisolone. It's to prevent bleeding and ulcers, 5mg human Pepcid (famotidine) 30 minutes before the Pred is what I give a 17 lb doxie. Normally there is no problem, but do pass all meds by your vet and get the dosage for your pup.

No pain meds were prescribed? Does Haley show pain: shivering, trembling, reluctance to move, crying? Pain inhibits healing. So if she has pain, you need to call in today and get that taken care of.

Expressing takes a little bit of practice to get really proficient. Here are some tips that may help you.
http://users.cyberport.net/~milnerwm/Expressing.html

Haley is going to need eight (8) weeks of crate rest to insure that disc is completely healed. If she's moving about before complete healing, additional damage can be done to the spinal cord. The deep pain sensation the ER neuro said she had needs to be conserved and not lost. Just to make sure you understand what crate rest encompasses:

That means 24/7 in the crate except for potty breaks. No laps, no couch, no sleeping in bed with you, no meadering or walking around during potty times.

At potty time use a harness (no more collars as it is too stressful on the spine), a 6 foot leash and a sling to support and keep stable rear from wobbling and falling over.  The sling can be a scarf, an ace bandage, a wide belt. You stand in one spot and HaleyBop can only take minimal steps to do business.
http://dodgergallery.ourdogs.net/recovery/slingwalk

Good information on doing crate rest properly
http://www.dodgerslist.com/lit/CrateRRP.pdf

Proper way to carry dog
http://users.cyberport.net/~milnerwm/WaterTherp2.jpg

Things you may have around the house to help you with crate rest: http://users.cyberport.net/~milnerwm/cr ... plies.html

Join Dodgers, an email list that specializes in disc disease and caring for your dog. There is an incredible wealth of information there.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dodgerslist/join
--
Paula Milner
Lewis and Clark
Dachsie IVDD Care FAQ:
http://users.cyberport.net/~milnerwm/dachsieFAQ.html
connie

there is hope

Post by connie »

welcome, yes there is hope. my cricket a small yorkie mix had ruptured disk 2 years ago. he had surgery, but i was lucky. i am single, one income, couldn't afford it. but my vet called the vet in memphis( arkansas didn't do this surgery) and that vet let me pay it out. it was 2800, but now i am down to 600.
never once has he dun me , just thanks me when i make a payment. so it never hurts to ask them.
surgery wasn't successful for cricket as far as being normal again. mmm , what is normal anyway? but he can spinal walk and runs all over my yard and home. never put him in a cart cause he runs and walks so well.
after surgery he had to be 100% crate rest for 6 weeks. only out to express bladder and do R.O.M on back legs. it took a lot of time, P.T. and love on both of us to get him well. but i never regret it. after 10 months cricket spinal walked.
now some dogs recover with no surgery, just make sure to crate, no dragging at all, can do lots of damage. and make sure if it can't pee to express, it's not hard. i empty cricket 3 to 4 times a day and he has never been ill. my vets say he is a miracle. he is so happy and healthy, he just can't jump.
he amazes me every day with what he can do.
you can't go wrong listening to the people here. they were my godsend, i was lost before i found this place. i had no support, everyone but my vets thought i was nuts.
ask us anything, we are here to help.
you and your furbaby are in my prayers.
hugs, connie and cricket
Coach

welcome

Post by Coach »

I hardly feel veteran enough to officially "welcome" you. I'm very new here myself. 10 days ago, my rottie had a spinal cord injury. We also opted out of surgery, mainly because of finances. I wasn't sure whether I should put him down, or not. I found this message board, and these people have really helped me. I cry, too. Not today, though, at least not yet...it's been a great day. I don't know if Coach will ever recover, but I'm committed, for now, in doing whatever I can to help him.

I have learned so much this week, from the wonderful people on this board. They've given me amazing support, hope, and advice.

So, the only advice I can offer you, since I'm so new....keep reading the new posts. These people's stories with their pets are miraculous.
FYI

Re: Welcome

Post by FYI »

Dianne wrote: Many vets prescribe PEPCID to protect against stomach irritation when taking steroids. I don't know the dose.
[u]The Pill Book Guide to Medication for your Dog and Cat[/u], Bantam, 1998 wrote:Famotidine
Dogs:0.25mg/lb orally once or twice a day.
[u]Veterinary Drug Handbook[/u], Fourth Edition, Donald C. Plumb wrote:Famotidine
Dogs:
As an adjunct in ulcer treatment:
a) 0.5 mg/kg PO, SC, IM, IV q12-24 hours (Matz 1995)
b) 0.5-1 mg/kg PO or IV once or twice daily (Johnson, Sherding et al. 1994)
c) 0.1-0.2 mg/kg PO q8h (Zerbe and Washabau 2000)
[u]The Pill Book Guide to Medication for your Dog and Cat[/u], Bantam, 1998 wrote:Make sure your veterinarian knows about all medications your pet may be taking, whether over-the-counter or prescription.
KimK

Hope

Post by KimK »

Thank you all so much....hearing from you made me cry...but with hope, knowing that you are all out there pulling for HaleyBop and I. I took her back to her regular vet today, and she did more neurological testing on Haley. She still feels pain in her toes, and actually tried to support herself. She yelped when they took her temp, which, although the vet said was not a happy experience for Haley, showed that she was feeling things. Still turns her toes under, though, so that wasn't good. They put her on some pain meds also, she yelps if we are not extremely careful moving her. Expressing a chihuahua is incredibly difficult, I'm still going to put peepads down for her and still attempt to help her with a semi normal routine. She only shivers and shakes when something scares her, unfortunately, she is scared now. But if I sit with her with my hand next to her, she settles down and sleeps. Crying still seems to be my most constant emotion right now, but I love this little dog so much that I will do whatever I can for her. Thank you all once again....
KimK

Hope

Post by KimK »

You really are a godsend, all of you. Thank you for the support, pray for my HaleyBop.
kristenv

Post by kristenv »

Hi Kim!!
Welcome. Your post brought tears to my eyes but know ther is lots of hope but it will take time. I have a dachsie named Samy that ruptured 2 discs March 23 and November 28 2007 and after 2 subsequent surgeries he is doing very well. Unfortunately for him crate rest alone was not a viable option.
You mentioned Haleybop is turning her toes this is called proprioception and just indicates that a dog knows where ther feet are. The "normal" response when a dog's foot is flipped is to turn it back to the correct position. However in IVDD dogs this is delayed or absent. But it is also one of the last reflexes to return with healing so don't despair.
As the others have mentioned there is a wealth of great information and support here. As for crying, we have all had those moments (many) especially when you are dealing with the initial shock of it. Crying is ok, but do try to be upbeat around Haleybop as often our furry ones pick up on our emotions too. I think having her next to you resting quietly is great (I did the same with Samy) but please be strict with the crate rest when you are not home or next to her. (you may want to consider a pet stroller so that you can move her through the house safely as well) As for crating, it feels bad to "lock" her up but is so important to protecting her during recovery. Please also know that you are doing all the right things for her. Haleybop is lucky to have you as a mom!
God Bless!!
Kristen
CarolC

Expressing

Post by CarolC »

KimK wrote:They put her on some pain meds also, she yelps if we are not extremely careful moving her. Expressing a chihuahua is incredibly difficult, I'm still going to put peepads down for her and still attempt to help her with a semi normal routine.
Hi Kim,

I may have missed it--did your vet say where the injury is on your dog? Is it in her neck or midback or lower back?

http://www.handicappedpets.com/Articles/express

Expressing seems hard to just about everybody at first, it's not just you! Here is an article demonstrating expressing on a female chihuahua. Maybe if you look at the pictures it will help. If you click on the pictures, you can see some nice close-ups. Hang in there. Glad you are here!
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

I am so sorry about your little dog, just do the best you can and if she seems happy just to be in your arms, then keep the faith that she will get better. Alot of folks do not opt for the expensive surgery.
Just take it one day at a time. This site has some really wonderful people with great advice.
KimK

HaleyBop...more questions

Post by KimK »

I've read several articles that talk about "spinal walk"....what exactly is this? I've been spending at least 8 hours a day on the computer (with Haley in a laundry basket beside me) researching as much info as I can. Thank you all for the wonderful links....it's been three days of reading about something I had no idea existed. I always thought the "little dogs with wheels" were results of accidents. Haley also won't eat her regular kibble, only chicken I've cooked. Is this okay for her? I don't want her to get sick. My vet told me she should get at least 20 cc's of water a day, so I've been measuring it out and "shooting" in her mouth with a syringe. I'm sure that way she has enough intake. I'm back to work tomorrow...worried sick about leaving her all day.
Thank you, thank you, I cannot say enough about how I feel about you all. It's so comforting to know that others are dealing with this same situation, and that no matter what the outcome, my little dog will have a happy, productive life, being MY Bopper. Kudos to all of you, I will keep you posted on how Haley is doing.
pmilner

Post by pmilner »

Spinal walking is a reflex action. No messages go back and forth to the brain to make the walk smooth and normal. Some dogs can learn how to swing their legs in position to do a rather odd looking walk.

Just chicken is not a balanced or healthy. It's ok for a couple of days. How about moistening her kibble with salt free chicken broth. You can boil up a chicken part or two or you can buy it in a box at the grocery store.

--
Paula Milner
Lewis and Clark
Dachsie IVDD Care FAQ:
http://users.cyberport.net/~milnerwm/dachsieFAQ.html