Rear harness is killing my back -anything better out there?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
grrl

Rear harness is killing my back -anything better out there?

Post by grrl »

My Sherman tank of a dog has DM and recently lost use of rear legs. She can still stand if her feet are properly placed - but will fall if she tries to move from that spot. SHe tries to use her back legs when walking but they just don't move right anymore. So I've been using a rear harness to help her - I want her to keep "using" her rear legs as much as possible. But here's the problem - it is killing my back and shoulders! And it kills me to make her stop when she's not ready just because I'm tired. A cart isn't an option right now because we're having one of the worst winters on record and it's too treacherous for a cart. And it's gonna be a long time before the thaw!

Maybe some one with more experience has a better option than the rear harness?
amyd

Post by amyd »

I don't have advice about a harness, but girl, you have to take care of your back. I have had 2 back surgeries, no fun. Please google proper lifting techniques and back exercises for yourself. You can't keep lifting when your back is hurting, it might get worse. I hope your thaw comes soon, meanwhile, I find hot baths give me the most relief of back pain - whatever gets the gravity gone. Good luck. I feel your pain...
http://handipet.com/gallery2007/v/Brooklyn+from+Texas/
Here's Brooklyn's Link to her photos!
2reddogs

Post by 2reddogs »

We don't use a cart but I did a lot of research on them. I know some carts have optional ski attachments. If you are thinking about getting a cart for the summer anyways, you might check it out.

I've seen videos of dogs with carts on packed down snow. Is it an option to create a packed down trail for her in your yard? I had to shovel a trail around the yard for my dog this year just to walk because of the deep snow. My neighbors must of though I was crazy :shock: shoveling my huge yard. But it did help Copper to get around easier.
grrl

wild solution?

Post by grrl »

I'm actually considering one of those deep sea fishing pole/vest combos and hooking her up to the pole. If she slips, I'll just reel her up like a tuna!
2reddogs

Post by 2reddogs »

:P That is creative!

How about a zip line? When she's not using it, the whole family can have fun. :D

Before Copper could walk again, I carried his 92 lb. back-end around for him via his tail or a sling. It was a great muscle building exercise for ONE of my arms. :shock: Don't forget to switch lifting arms now and then, or you will look like popeye on one side and not the other.