My Bailey

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
rookiemum

Re: My Bailey

Post by rookiemum »

He had gotten the wrong parts, so had to stop in the middle. Never a good thing-we won't talk about all the half-finished projects waiting to be completed.

Bailey has started eating the dirt out of my flower pots. :?
Buddy used to do it too. I hope it doesn't hurt him, there is fertilizer in it. It's raining now, so maybe it will wash away whatever smells so good.

When the cart and Bailey are up and running I'll post some pictures.

Pam
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

The wonderful old gentleman who mows my yard put some organic fertilizer in the rose bed last year and I was alarmed to see my dog eating it. I called the nursery in a panic to see what was in the fertilizer, in case I needed to rush her to the vet. They assured me there was nothing in it to hurt a dog, but I found out why she liked it. It contained a lot of odd things, including molasses and blood meal, not something I would have approved if I'd known. :shock:
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Bailey had his yearly check-up tonight. There is some concern about the sore on his tail, so we have medicine, ointment and cream now, hopefully it will help. Poor Bailey was so exhausted by the time we were done. The vet wanted to see him for a recheck in two weeks, but we're going to try emailing pictures instead of me dragging Mr. 66 lbs back and forth.

Still waiting on the wheelchair, it's all put together, we just need to add some straps to hold it on.

Pam
Christine

Post by Christine »

Sending good thoughts and smoochies to "Mr. 66 Pounds" :wub:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

They sell that strapping stuff at Joanne's and Hobby Lobby, or your husband might have an old tiedown for the truck.

I sympathize getting a 66-lb dog to the vet, mine was only 63 and it was a job. You may already do this, but if not I recommend it--leave him in the car when you get to the vet and have their strong young kennel helpers take him in. If needed, they can get two to team lift. Then when you are ready to go home, have them put him in the car for you. That way you only have to load and unload once.

I am impressed the wheelchair is that far done. You might remind you husband, they do not all get in the cart and take off running the first time. Some do and some take a week or so to get used to it. I don't want him to be worried after all his hard work. If you have any questions leveling the cart or adjusting the straps, Bobbie has worked with all kinds of carts, she can probably help, especially if you post pictures. I can't wait till this is done, this is so cool! :bounce:
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

The vet did offer to have the techs take Bailey back out to the car on a stretcher, but I was afraid it would freak him out.

He had some diarrhea tonight-we haven't had that problem in a long time, so I'm sure its the $79 antibiotic (baytril). He's on Prednisone too, although he never had a problem with that before. I hope there is something I can give him to settle his stomach. 66 lb dog with diarrhea -great. :shock:

Pam
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

:shock: Ohhhhh...nooooo! Not fun.
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

He had diarrhea again overnight-what a mess. I'm so glad it is warm and I could just take him outside and hose him off. I gave him some white rice with just a little chicken for breakfast after which he pooped all over the yard so I gave him an Immodium-hopefully that will help.

He's sleeping now. I put a pee pad under his butt, just in case.

Pam
Christine

Post by Christine »

Awww....Pam, you and Bailey deserve a break. Don't forget about plain pumpkin to help with the diarrhea too.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

I have a some home-canned pumpkin someone gave us. Is it good for diarrhea? How much should I give him?

After his rice/chicken dinner he pooped all over the yard again (so thankful it's nice and we can be outside), I gave him another Immodium and hosed him off again. That antibiotic cost $80. I paid $80 for this.

Pam
Christine

Post by Christine »

Here is an article about diarrhea with this comment and instructions about the amount of pumpkin. Home canned pumpkin will work as long as there are no spices added.
It's quite strange that canned pureed pumpkin (not the pie filling but the 100% natural canned pumpkin) can work wonders for both the occasional bout of diarrhea or for the opposite, constipation in dogs. It has been reported that it firms up dog's loose stools or diarrhea within a few hours. How much pumpkin should you give? It depends on the size of the dog but as a rule of thumb a couple of teaspoons daily for a small dog or a couple of tablespoons for a large dog. It's doubtful that your dog or puppy will eat it without disguising it in some way in it's food.
Here is the link to the article that may have some more helpful information. You are right on track giving him chicken and rice. The most important thing is keeping him hydrated. http://www.dogchatforum.com/diarrhea-dog.htm

Hang in there, Pam.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Thank you so much!!

One good thing-I don't have to work until Friday, so at least I've been able to be home with Bailey.

Pam
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi Pam,
Good to know that you guys are still hanging in there.
Sending good thoughts!
Caroline

If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' someone else's dog around.
__ Will Rogers
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Thursday the vet told me to stop all Baileys meds. He still isn't having normal bowel movements. :(

Saturday night we got him in the wheechair. He took off, went right for the shurbs, tried to go behind them and got stuck. It works well if he's moving, but if he stops the straps get all messed up. I have to figure out a way to keep his feet from dragging too. I'm thinking of tying one of Seths old hats to the the upper rail and tucking his feet in. Will be the funniest looking chair -ever.

Baileys been off the Prednisone since Thursday and he's still drinking and peeing like a racehorse. Hoping those meds didn't mess up his kidneys, sigh.

Pam
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Its been over a week since Bailey went off all his meds, and he STILL HAS DIARRHEA!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe this, I am so depressed. I took a basically healthy dog with a sore on his tail to the vet, spent $140 for medicine that made him sick, didn't work and we can't use. I am so depressed, and poor Bailey-he looks so sad when he makes a mess. At least the weathers been nice, I can hose everything off.

Pam