My Bailey

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
CarolC

Re: My Bailey

Post by CarolC »

A week of big-dog diarrhea would do it for me, too. Have you tried PetPectillin? They sell it at PetsMart and I think it's about $5. Will your vet give you a credit on the unused medication? My vet will take it back and apply a refund/credit. I was really surprised when they offered to take some back one time, and they've done it another time, too. I'm not sure all vets do that, but you might ask them, that was expensive medication, yikes!!! :shock: You know on humans, they say taking antibiotics will kill the healthy bacteria in the gut and can cause diarrhea, so they suggest acidophilus tablets to replace the healthy bacteria. They have it for dogs, too, I know Drs. Foster and Smith carry it. You might ask the vet about that as another idea. I hope you find something that works fast! :|
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

I don't know if they'll take any meds back. There used to be a sign in the waiting room about prescriptions not being returnable, but I'll ask anyway. I was thinking the same thing-about the antibiotic killing off the good bacteria and causing the diarrhea. It's hard to believe it could happen after just two doses.

He's also been licking the ointment/powder off his tail, I wonder if that might be upsetting his stomach. I started him back on the pumpkin, it seems to help a little. Thanks for the tips about the other things to try.

Pam
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

After three weeks Bailey FINALLY had 2 normal poops today. :)

Pam
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

What a relief for BOTH of you! :hurray: You must feel like Spring has finally sprung! :ecstatic:
Christine

Post by Christine »

YAY!!! Did you ever find out why it took so long? Now, get some sleep!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

No idea what the problem was. The vet thought it was a combination of the meds we gave him plus the stress of the office visit (I will NEVER schedule a routine visit on a Monday again-too long a wait and too much activity).

He still has the sore on his tail, now it has a big hole in it. He's been licking off the antibiotic cream and powder the vet gave me, so I don't know if it's even doing any good. He has one day of the other antibiotic left, then I'll send the vet some more pictures. That hole looks nasty, so I'm sure we'll need more antibiotics.

Bailey seems like himself again, barking and staking out the garden in hopes a bunny might run out. I thought we were going to lose him, but "Bounce-Back Bailey" did it again. :)

Pam
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

I celebrated too soon. Seth had a Dr. appointment today, we were only gone about an hour. When I got back it looked like a "poop-bomb" went off in Baileys pen. When I fed him this morning I mixed in about 10 pieces of his regular dog food-I guess that was a bad idea. I wonder if he'll ever eat normal dog food again.

Pam
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I don't know. Katie started having digestive problems this past year, the vet says it comes with age, the digestive system just isn't what it used to be. Oh, well, she seems nearly as enthusiastic about her new low fat meals as the richer food she used to have. Dogs are great that way, they're just happy when you feed them. They don't care, IT'S FOOD!
:snoopy:
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi Pam,
Just updated myself on Bailey, My harddrive crashed and I had to get a new pc. I am so sorry to hear that things are so hard on you right now.
I am keeping my fingers crossed for a positive outcome.
You are the best bailey mom he could have.
Kiss's for the furboy.
Hang in there and do something nice for yourself.
Caroline

The dog has a enviable mind: it remembers the nice things in life and quickly blots out the nasty.
-Barbara Woodhouse
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, we've had three normal poops in a row. I'll wait awhile before I try any regular dog food again.

I took Bailey outside and scrubbed him up yesterday-after which he immediatly dug a nice hole, laid down in the dirt and ended up looking worse than when I started. :roll:
I took him out again today and washed him up, this time I kept him tied until I brought him in. His fur is all stained, anyone have a good recipe for turning brown fur into white fur again? I got special whitening shampoo, but it didn't help too much.

Pam

PS Bailey sends kissies to you too Caroline!! :)
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

My Bailey just chased a big grey cat out of the yard, go Bailey!!

Pam
Christine

Post by Christine »

Pam...Your Bailey is the "little engine that could" and the "energizer bunny" all rolled into one! I have a feeling he takes after his mom (you)...Merry Christmas to you and your family. Thanks for sharing that funny update with us. :snoopy:
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

I call him "Bounce-Back Bailey". He's gone downhill since my last post (can't believe is been since May), but he's still interested in chasing the birds and occasional stray cat that dares show its whiskers in our yard.

Pam
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I'll bet he got SO much satsifaction out of that. :lol: Very glad to hear he is still being HIMSELF! :trophy:
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

WHY do people (who do not provide ANY care for Bailey) feel they are entitled to provide (unasked for) opinions/advice about his life? I made a comment today (to someone who hasn't been to my house in 9 months) about how I cook Baileys food now because his GI tract can't handle dog food. Next thing I know I'm being told (again) it's "hard, but it's time for him to go". It's just chicken and rice, nothing too complicated, its not like I have to spend 2 hours in the kitchen every day to prepare the dogs dinner. Bailey nevery complains about my cooking, gobbles his food down and is happy AND thankful to get it-more than I can say for the people I usually cook for. :l

Bailey is doing great for his age (at least 12-and he's a large dog). He is getting gray in his black patches, and I can tell he's aged over the year. I'm not sure how much time we have left together, but I'm glad he made it through the winter and we will get another spring together. Last night he scootched over to me and leaned against my leg, he is still my sweet Bailey.

Pam
Last edited by rookiemum on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.