My Bailey

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Christine

Re: My Bailey

Post by Christine »

Pam,

Sending you prayers for a comfortable recuperation and good results. Don't know the situation with the two day child care, but might there be a chance it could be longer with some help for Bailey? Be careful with yourself.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

There is a lady down the road from me who does animal care. I've been debating about calling her and seeing how she feel about handicapped pets. It just seems a shame (with our current financial situation) to pay someone to come over to walk him across that 5 feet of concrete. I'll wait and see how I feel, if I can't do it then I'll have to get help.
Pam
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Hi Pam,

I don't know anything about sling walking a dog after laparoscopic surgery, I'd say ask the nurse if it is really OK, you don't want to cause a hernia or something? You might even discuss this with the surgeon to see if he will put in a couple of extra stitches when he closes you back up just to be on the safe side? It will probably help you the first couple of days if you have a small accent pillow or travel pillow to hold against your tummy when you move. Hopefully once the procedure is behind you, you will feel better than you have in long time! :)
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

My Bailey was playing with his squeeky hedgehog tonight! He hasn't played with it in months, I was so happy to see him enjoying himself.

Thanks for all the suggestions, hopefully it will all work out. Its embaressing to admit, but DH doesn't want anyone coming over to the house because HE's embarressed about the smell/mess. I do my best, but we have 1 elderly dog, 1 handicapped dog and a little boy in diapers, so I'm sure the house doesn't smell like a flower boquet. Perfumes/frangrances really aggravate my migraines, so I'm limited in what can be used to cover up the smell.

I'm trying to think of something I either have around the house or would be cheap that I could lay over that patch of concrete. Something rubber would be ideal, Bailey could just slide right across it and it wouldn't move too much. Ideas? :)

Pam
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

:D Happy is a dog plays with his toys!
Do you mean that the concrete is too slippery? can you put rubber mats on there or those applications used for bath tubs so you can't slip in it.
Or give Bailey some shoes, like my dog had.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

My surgery has to be rescheduled, the Drs. office goofed and overbooked for that day. More time to figure out how to take care of my rabunctious son and Bailey. :)

Pam
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

HI Pam,
Im not sure if it would work but , what about tapeing down some old shower curtains with duck tape? He may beable to slide on them and the liners are cheap at the 99 cent stores. As far as the stench I am a big fan of incense to cover smells.
Life sure is filled with ups and downs.
I still love it when people tell me life is short ,and I can just say Living is the longest hardest thing I have done so far.

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly dog.
-Edward Hoagland
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Protein based detergents and eliminators do a good job of gobbling up the bacteria that causes the stench. It's in the concrete? Have you tried bleach?

I know how you feel. I find the lovely odor of pine-sol is like a perfume.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

I bought a bottle of Simple Solutions, I was able to try it out today. :roll: I'm hoping it works better than what I was using (Resolve=waste of $).

I just want something to cover the concrete walk ouside the back door to keep Bailey from scraping himself up. I think I may have something I can use. There used to be an old rubber mat on the floor of my shed, I think I just tossed it behind the shed one day when I was cleaning. I'll go treasure hunting tomorrow and see if it is still there. If it is then he can get in and out with only a small boost over a 4" step.

Bailey is doing amazingly well. He's been chasing birds, chewing up sticks and "running" away from me when I try to bring him in the house. I didn't know a dog with only 2 good legs could go so fast!

Pam
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi Pam,
IM just checking in to see how things are going these days.
I hope the bailey boy is still doing well and I hope things are going to look up with you as well.
Caroline
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Bailey is doing well, not using as much pain medicine and seems very contented. I've been letting him get himself to the ramp and out the door more instead of using the sling and except for the inevitable scrapes he is getting around really well. My surgery is still on for MOnday so hopefully all will go as planned and I will be home the same day.

The other dog (Buddy) now has a UTI (more $$$), HO-HO-HO, I hope DH doesn't go crazy. :)

I'll post an update after my surgery when I'm able, it might be a couple days. Thanks for checking in, hope all is well with you and Buster,
Pam
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

My surgery went well, and the Dr. did not find anything that looked cancerous. There was nothing growing on my ovary, so he didn't even have to take anything out (Praise God!!).

DH took care of Bailey yesterday, but I had to get up today and do everything. It makes me wonder if he wants me to get hurt so he has a reason to put Bailey down. Thank God I didn't have anything major done.

Pam
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Thank goodness for your surgery, and I hope when you are healed you will feel better than you have in years. It may help to hold a pillow against your stomach when you bend over. Bailey may have to go without or with the bare minimum for a few days, it's OK. Give yourself permission to do less. Give yourself permission to not do a perfect job. When my back went out I could not exercise Katie. I put her in the back yard and let her drag around in the grass for exercise 3 days in a row. She got scrapes on her feet and they took a long time to heal. Well, there was no one to help me, it was the best I could come up with at the time, we both survived, and you and Bailey will, too. Hang in there. I daresay you have everybody on this board pulling for you!
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Congrats on the good news.
When I had surgery my dog knew , he didn't trow toys in my lap those days, stayed next to me and was quiet like he knew!

As long as Bailey can do his bathroom issues in the yard, he will be fine as well, you both get some rest and get better coming out of it!
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

HI Pam,

So glad thing's turned out so well.
Give hubby some credit for looking after a Bailey for at least a day. Deep down he must be getting used to things lol.

Buster is doing pretty well and his midget girlfriend turned 17 in Nov.

I"d rather be a dog and bay at the moon.
_William Shakespear