My Bailey

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
rookiemum

Re: My Bailey

Post by rookiemum »

I do have a ramp. I borrowed it, it is a homemade one (wooden), very heavy and awkward, it works great as long as I don't have to move it around. I also have a bottoms up leash, that has helped a lot, although I still use a towel for getting him in and out to go to the bathroom (its quicker). It would have been easier to get him in and out of the car if I had taken out the baby seat, but I really hate to move that. We did okay, I'm glad he doesn't need to go to the vet a lot.

That is a shame your Bailey was abused, wonderful he found a home with you!

Pam
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi Pam,

So how is the big guy these days?
IS he walking a bit more? Or at least catching some rays?
Thinking of you and yours.

Keep the faith

never stand between a dog and the tree he was just smelling. :snoopy:
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

I think he is doing a little better. He's starting to push himself up on his back legs, but he still knuckles his feet under. He loves being outside on the nice days, watching him laying in the grass chewing sticks no one would ever know there is anything wrong. I seem to remember Buster had problems with scraping his feet-what worked best for covering? I tried some of Seths socks, but they come off. I'm worried with summer coming about bailey having these open scrapes on his feet.

Husband has gone back to his "this is no life for a dog" attitude and doing only what he absolutly has to do to help with Bailey. We just don't agree on this, and it is causing some problems, so there's that stress.

Thanks for checking in on us, I appreciate your kindness and the encouragment.
:thankyou:
Pam
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi Pam,

Well I too used the little boy socks along with alot of medical tape and some dressing, I also would get some triple anti biotic cream ( cheap at the dollar store). I let the sores air out at night.
Buster would tear off his socks the mint my husband got home lol. He drove me crazy.
However the main thing was I slung walked in the grass and the sidewalk, I would fix his legs with each step I made him work out.
At first both legs curled under, then just one the front leg still get a boo boo now and then.
It was back breaking for awhile on both of us.
It started with ten steps at a time then we got to passing five houses at a time all this built up his strength and as he got stronger his feet started to respond all by them selves. However the front leg just hung there for weeks and took much longer.

The thing with Bailey is does he feel deep pain ?, if he does not then work him. Now keep in mind that once he does get a work out that he will be sore. It was one day on and one day off with Buster for awhile.

Deep down I really feel that Bailey is going to get better, just a gut feeling from going over your posts. For one the fact that he is trying to use his back legs makes me think he is getting ready he is feeling better. If it is a disk maybe it is starting to pump up again that is why he feels good enough to use his back legs.

If you go back to Busters posts Carol wrote some really great info on that subject.

I can understand your Husbands frustration he just wants his normal life back, but he must keep in mind that you and your cute little boy will still have many happy years together and a dogs life span is limited. Maybe years from now your son will do something really great in this world all because of the lessons he learned from his time with Bailey. For one pride yourselves in the fact that he will never grow up to be a bullie or to judge others for being different.

KEEP THE FAITH
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Friday night I was massaging Baileys feet and he moved his feet and kicked his back legs a little!! :D

This is the first time he's moved his feet/legs since February, I was stunned. He has been pushing himself up more and more the last couple weeks, but I was surprised. I think it surprised him a little too, he looked at me like he was saying "hey, did you see that?" It was very exciting!!

Pam

PS This is wierd, but true-Thursday night I had a dream about Bailey taking a few steps, and then he moved his feet Friday night!!
Aus Dilecce

Post by Aus Dilecce »

Oh that is so exciting Pam. Hubbie dreamt about Cinders walking a week before she did and he said she walked like Cricket (of this site) so he knew it was post-op and just felt that it would come true. She has deep pain so her walk isn't spinal but she walks a bit like Cricket does so he wasn't wrong.

Keep us updated!
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi Pam,

So a few days have gone by again, and you posted about Bailey having some foot movement. I wonder whats new today it seems little by little small things happen so fast. I'M keeping my fingers crossed.

Keep the faith

Among God's creations two, the dog and the guitar have taken all sizes and shapes on order not to be separated from man.
Andres Segovia
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Usually if I massage his feet I'll get some movement, but sometimes nothing happens, I'm not sure if that is normal or not. He is still pushing himself up, sometimes now he gets his right foot in the proper postion. I've been putting his feet in the correct position as much as I can, but as soon as he takes a step he knuckles them under.

I was sick a couple days, and DH got off the feeding/pooping schedule I had Bailey on, so we've been having a lot of "accidents". Every time DH takes care of Bailey there are more accidents, I think he is just not as good at picking up the cues that Bailey has to go.

He has another UTI, we tried the cheaper antibiotics, and they didn't work, so we have to go back to the expensive ones, I am hoping DH doesn't flip out.

Thanks for checking in,
Pam
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi Pam,
Hope all is well, how about an update on Bailey?
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Ditto...? :)
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Thanks for checking on us, I keep waiting for something good to happen. Bailey is about the same. He stands better than he used to, and his feet don't knuckle under as much, but still no steps. He loves going out in the back yard when its not too hot. It seems like the heat is bothering him more than it used to, I think it might be the Prednisone. He seems happy most of the time.

I found out 2 weeks ago my sister has cancer, so Bailey hasn't been getting as much attention as he was. She has surgery scheduled for next week, and then will have to have chemotherapy. I'm kind of in shock about that, we had no idea.

I still believe Bailey is going to walk again. :)

Pam
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Wow sure seems like you and yours has had more than you share of hardship.
You are a wonderful soul Pam...... everything happens for a reason really it does.
Just know that my thoughts and prayers are with you in this trying time.
Sure hope all works out well with your sister...so sorry .

I am happy Bailey is happy may it bring your heart some well needed joy.
I will keep the faith that he will walk again that all will be good for you and your's again.

Life is such a trip, but we just need to stay good in our hearts.
your friend always
Caroline
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

My Bailey is not doing very well. Over the last couple weeks it seems like he has lost the little bit of bowel control he had. DH is flipping out. I've been trying some tips from the incontinence board, but he keeps having accidents in the house (in his pen, but its still a big mess).

Then there are the people telling me their stories of how their dogs become incontinent and they had to euthanize them. Is THAT supposed to cheer me up???????

I am very depressed tonight, I just want to take care of my dog.

Pam

PS On a happier note, my sisters surgery went well, and we just found out today she will NOT have to undergo chemotherapy! :)
Aus Dilecce

Post by Aus Dilecce »

Oh Pam that really sucks. I'm afraid I'm no help on bowel incontinence but I just wanted to send you a big hug from downunder. I presume you've already tried to control with diet etc.

On another note Kristen posted a question about heat affecting the handipets the other day and I see that Bailey was struggling in the heat, just thought it might be of interest, don't know if others answered or not. It's mid winter here so not really one for me to get involved in!

Great news on your sister.

Kate
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Thanks for the kind words. I think Baileys having problems because of the (%$^#@) cheap dog food my husband insists on buying. I bought a bag of Science Diet and am switching him over, no wonder Baileys stomach is upset, I'm hoping that is the problem.

I did see the comment about the weather, that is interesting because Bailey seemed to be doing better in May, then just over the last couple weeks has been getting worse. Its very confusing, we were out in the back yard this afternoon and I noticed while he was sleeping he was kicking his leg! I watched awhile, a fly kept landing on his foot and he would kick his leg to get it off. So he can feel the fly, and kick his leg-but can't tell when he has to go, sigh. :(

Pam