My Bailey

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: My Bailey

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I have exp. no one would want. My son was born with an incomplete urinary system. Weekly, I affixed a sticky bag (specially designed for its purpose) and collected urine to make sure he would not die of toxemia. The bag had a hard boundary, much like your vacuum cleaner bag, only miniscule. The collection was easy to take. Get a baggie, affix a glue that dissolves with water (unlike Andy's and I feared EVERY TIME I would tear his infant skin off removing that thing), and you can get a 'pure' sample. One without other chemicals from whatever is used in the collection. Surgical glue won't work, because it doesn't come off. Ask a regular doc (the human type) what self-dissolving glue will work, and make it at home. You can also use household items to 'make a glue' but that will taint the sample.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

I'm thankful Bailey isn't in pain. He seems very comfortable and happy. He's eating like a pig, gobbling up his food and then shoving the other dog away so he can gobble more down before I pull him away.

I was able to get a quick look at his penis, it seems to be healing up nicely. There is a little piece of bone or cartiledge sticking out, that worries me. I still can't believe he made it this far.

The biggest problem now is the urine leaking. He moves around so much the wraps just do not stay on. It looks like he may be getting a rash too. Whats good for diaper rash for dogs (I know not to use the zinc oxide)?

Pam

PS Caroline, I drove one of those black trucks with no AC for years, I know exactly what you are talking about!! :)
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

You may want to try putting a belt around his waist if he doesn't keep the wrap on. My dog wears the Unique Accessories wraps shown in the picture and he's only ever gotten out of one once. He does not need a belt to keep it on. I was originally using the belt shown in the picture to help him to his feet, before I sewed handles on his malewraps.

You can also take a large baby diaper safety pin and pin the wrap after you velcro it on, then there's no way he'll undo the velcro. I have done that when I wanted to use zinc oxide ointment and wanted to be extra sure he wouldn't get out of his wrap and lick it. You can try A & D ointment or plain vaseline for the rash. I do use zinc oxide ointment on my dog when his rash gets out of hand. There are times when I put on "gobs" of A & D twice a day and he still gets a rash. If I put on a good smear of Desitin with zinc oxide it lasts for several days and totally protects the skin. You just want to be sure the area is kept covered by the wrap and your dog or other pets don't try to groom under/around the wrap.
Merlin_belt.jpg
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi Pam,
How are things???
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Bailey is about the same, still dripping urine and this week he hasn't had real good control of his bowels, so it's been kind of messy. I express him morning, afternoon, and night, but he still leaks (just not as much). He seems a little weak the last couple days, but he still eats everything I put in front of him. I tried to look at his penis again tonight, it doesn't look infected, so I don't know what is going on.

I had an MRI Monday for an abdominal mass on my right side, we're waiting for the results. I've said all along I would take care of Bailey as long as I was able to and he was enjoying life. If I can't take care of him I am afraid my husband will give Bailey a death sentence so I'm trying not to go too crazy.

Thanks for asking,
Pam
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

rookiemum wrote:I had an MRI Monday for an abdominal mass on my right side, we're waiting for the results. I've said all along I would take care of Bailey as long as I was able to and he was enjoying life. If I can't take care of him I am afraid my husband will give Bailey a death sentence so I'm trying not to go too crazy.
Hi Pam,

Do you know anybody who would care for your dog for one or two weeks if you need surgery? It sounds like if you have to be laid up, your husband is not going to be enthusiastic about caring for Bailey. Can you get your husband to go to an appointment with a marriage counselor or with clergy from your church? It's only for the purpose to help him see objectively how his attitude toward Bailey is affecting you at a time when you have a health concern. It may be better for him to hear some objective statements from a third party, not you. The counsellor can get him to discuss how he feels about Bailey's illness and yours, and let you say what you need him to do at this time. Illness can be a family crisis, my eyes are smarting thinking of you in your situation. Can't you at least call the church or a private practice and ask about attending a session? It may be covered by your insurance, or your doctor may be able to refer you to someone with the hospital because s/he has seen illness turn into a family crisis before.
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

I've mentioned it, but he wasn't interested. I don't want to make him sound like an ogre, EVERYONE we know agrees with him about Bailey and thinks I'm nuts for taking care of a dog that can't walk and now needs help to go to the bathroom. I am glad I can come here and talk/vent with others who understand.

I think part of the reason I see Baileys situation differently is because I have health problems. I enjoy my life even though I'm on pain medicine most days, and can't always do everything I would like to do. I'm glad someone else doesn't get to decide whether I live or die based on their perception of what a happy life is.

My Dr. called yesterday, I will need surgery, I'm meeting with him Wednesday next week to discuss the details. It sounds like they won't know exaclty how much needs removed until they do the surgery, but I should get an idea of how long it will be until I can lift anything, and how much I will be allowed to lift. I've been racking my brain trying to think of someone who will look after Bailey for me.

I have 2 year old son also, we need to find someone to help with him while I'm recuperating.

HELP WANTED: Mothers helper for MOM with bright, beautiful, active 2 year old son. Light housekeeping and pet care. Also must be able to express handicapped 60 lb dog, stimulate bowels, and clean up smelly poopy accidents. There will be laundry. Apply at crazy ladys house.

I'll let you know how it all works out. :roll:

Pam
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Wow you have a lot on your plate!
First of all, in the last year I also noticed some people told me my dog was at it's end.
I knew my dog best and so do you, he was still happy that year, when I saw in the last weeks there was not much fun for him anymore , although he was never in pain, I made the decision to let him have eternal sleep.
If you look in your dogs eyes you can read a lot as well.
Now Carol's remark about a church is also a great idea.
Do you have family around or good neighbors or parents you know from your son's friends?
Can you spend some on care? Isn't there a list here on this site with petsitters? Otherwise I will look for you what I can find in your neigborhood.
Whereabouts are you located?
Hang in there , we are here to help and we are going to do our best!
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Christine

Post by Christine »

Dear Pam,

I am so sorry all this is coming down on you at one time. I can remember when I broke my wrist a couple of years ago, I was just devastated trying to figure out how I could still take care of Bailey. My husband took over, but at that time, she was stronger and just needed to be taken out, not carried, etc. Had it happened this past year, as good as he is, I don't know if he could have handled it.

I was going to ask the same thing Puremutt did. Where are you? Is there anyone who might foster Bailey for you while you recuperate? Do you know of any vet techs who might come to the house? The perfect solution would be if you could find that one person to care for your son and Bailey as well.

Please give us all the details so we can help. We are here for you.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi Pam,
Love the crazy lady ad, nice to know you still have your sense of humor lol. Who knows it could work.
However your health must be a big worry for you, knowing that you are the main caretaker for your child and your dog. You are one of those people that have hung in there threw thick and thin with Bailey when alot of folks would have just thrown in the towel.
I know you really love that dog Pam. That dog loves you.
Take care of your health everything always works out just the way it needs to.
Try not to worry to much and just know there are alot of people that care about you and yours.

IF I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very very few persons.
-James Thurber
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Thank you everyone for being so kind, it means a lot.

Thanks for the ideas too. Its hard to figure out what to do or even start asking people for help until I talk to the Dr.

Well, now DH just found a spot on the carpet where the other dog (Buddy) pee'd, so he's back to the "its time for them dogs to go" rant. sigh

Pam
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Do you have enzyme spray like Simple Solution? You spray the stain and the enzymes actually digest the organic material so it is gone. It does not just deodorize, it gets rid of the urine. If you suspect there are spots you can't detect, you can find them with a black light. They are sold next to the enzyme spray at the pet store. If the dog really soaked the rug and it went down into the pad, it helps to pull up the corner of the carpet and treat the pad directly if possible, but sometimes you can't do that.

Bailey's thread has 3300 views, that's a lot. Your husband and all his friends may feel one way about dogs, but that is just them, not everybody. I hope your husband can see that if you are the kind of person who will care for Bailey, then you are likely the kind of person who will care for him if he has a stroke or gets Alzheimer's.
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

I hope your husband can see that if you are the kind of person who will care for Bailey, then you are likely the kind of person who will care for him if he has a stroke or gets Alzheimer's.
One night he asked me if I would take care of him like I do the dog and I was mad and told him they have nursing homes for people. oops

Thanks for the tip about enzyme sprays, I didn't know there was such a thing.

Bailey broke one of his front toenails yesterday. It was spurting blood everywhere, fortunatly he was out in the yard, so I didn't have to try to get THAT out of the carpet. It seems better today, but he won't let me take a good look at it, so its hard to see how much damage he did. Another injury he should have seen the vet for, but we had $30 to buy grocery AND diapers this week, so once again I did the best I could with what I had at home.
(FYI-I dumped some cornstarch on it and it stopped bleeding, but I need to get a styptic pencil for future nail emergencies).

Thanks ,
Pam
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Hi Pam,
I know today is doctor day, I have kept my fingers crossed for you.
I hope your not to down or afraid, I hope Bailey is doing better also.
Sending you warm thoughts.
Caroline
rookiemum

Post by rookiemum »

Thanks, the Dr. visit was about what I expected. I'm having laproscopic surgery Monday. There is a 5 cm mass that is probably on my ovary, but it could be uterine. If its on my ovary, the ovary will have to come out. If its on my uterus, the growth may or may not have to come out. As long as there aren't any complications I can go home the same day, and will only be off work 4 to 5 days. Hopefully they won't find any cancer. If they do then its a whole different story (we won't go there).

I'm not supposed to pick up my 30 lb son for 7 to 10 days, so we may try converting his crib into a toddler bed sooner than we anticipated. WE have childcare for the first two days, I hope I can take care of him after that.

Bailey really isn't that heavy to sling walk. I'll let him go down the ramp by himself (he already does it sometimes, I just stay beside him), and then I'll just have to help him over about 5 feet of concrete. I think I can do it, I'll just have three very small incisions.

Bailey is doing much better. He still won't let me get a good look at his paw, but the whole nail is gone (I found it in the laundry). I am continually amazed at him-he's "Super Dog".
Tonight he wanted a lolly pop, and was thinking about climbing up on the sofa (he got neither, but I did give him a bone). He's so sweet, I hope I behave as well when I'm recuperating.

Pam