Champ is Walking! and Sometimes He is peeing on his own!

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
jrmende63

Champ is Walking! and Sometimes He is peeing on his own!

Post by jrmende63 »

Hi all...I had to share the good news. Randall and I are estatic about this!
Yesterday Champ went down the front steps (WALKED BY HIMSELF!!!!) and peed outside on his own! Today he has walked outside x2 and peed outside both times! He looks like he has had too much to drink when he walks and sometimes his paw on his left back leg, turns over to the top instead of were he is supposed to walk. He can walk straight for a couple of steps and then walks sideways with his back legs. He gets where he wants to go though! I never thought he would walk again!!!!!!! I am so thrilled. A nurse at work did some research and found that Virgin Coconut oil helps to heal the nervous system and works in the IVDD dogs. I have been giving him a .5 tablespoon once a day for the past 2 weeks....and now he is walking.
When this started happening on Dec 16, 2007. I thought my sweet boy would never walk again. I thought I would have to cath him forever. ( expressing him is NOT an option...he is too big of a boy)
But yesterday when he stood up and then walked and then peed...I was stunned!
His legs are wobbly and he is weak, but he is determined to walk. Does anyone here think splints would help him keep his paws onthe ground versus turning his paw over and stepping on the tops?
I have a wheel cart from Eddies ...now we don't need it...Champ would rather walk on his own.
Goldens are wonderful!
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I can only imagine what it's like to see a 116 lb dog get up and walk again. :ecstatic: Happy for your whole family! Congratulations!!!
Orion's Mom

Post by Orion's Mom »

CONGRATULATIONS!! So happy for you!! I can't imagine the excitement you must be feeling!! :D
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

I am very happy for you! What wonderful news!

I caution anyone to give their dogs anything without discussing it with their vet.
Can you please post the information/research about how coconut oil helps dogs with IVDD. I'm sure many of us would be very interested in reading it.
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:banana: Congrats!! These splints have gotten rave reviews for the situation you describe--knuckling, and they may be less intrusive that boots. http://www.handicappedpets.com/splints/
jrmende63

Post by jrmende63 »

CarolC wrote:I can only imagine what it's like to see a 116 lb dog get up and walk again. :ecstatic: Happy for your whole family! Congratulations!!!
Thank You Carol! We are very happy to see this kind of improvement in him!
Goldens are wonderful!
jrmende63

Post by jrmende63 »

Orion's Mom wrote:CONGRATULATIONS!! So happy for you!! I can't imagine the excitement you must be feeling!! :D
Thank You...I never thought we would see the day he walked again!
Goldens are wonderful!
jrmende63

Post by jrmende63 »

Cindidoxiemom wrote:I am very happy for you! What wonderful news!

I caution anyone to give their dogs anything without discussing it with their vet.
Can you please post the information/research about how coconut oil helps dogs with IVDD. I'm sure many of us would be very interested in reading it.
Cindi...I don't have the article. My co-woker researched it for me. Coconut oil + IVDD in dogs. My vet said the coconut oil would not hurt him;only it could make his stools loose if he eats too much. This particular co-worker is big into healthy oils and has a masters research degree. She can tell you more than you would want to know about oils and how they help the body. I was skeptical about the healing of the nerves , but my dog is up less than 4 mos after the "worse IVDD" his surgeon had ever seen. Since the oil can't hurt the dog and actually helps the coat, I see no harm in giving it to all of my dogs. I will tell anyone who will listen, that my red herring is up and walking, albeit wobbly and sometimes cross ways. Is it due to the oils? Dunno...but I know my boy is up and walking.
I will try to find the article and ask her for a copy as well. I would be happy to post it here. I am all for anything that will help our 4 legged family members.
Goldens are wonderful!
jrmende63

Post by jrmende63 »

critters wrote::banana: Congrats!! These splints have gotten rave reviews for the situation you describe--knuckling, and they may be less intrusive that boots. http://www.handicappedpets.com/splints/
Knuckling...I did not know what it was called. I thank you for the link and will call them tomorrow.
Goldens are wonderful!
jrmende63

update peeing on his own!

Post by jrmende63 »

I have to update this...Champ has not been cathed since April 5th! :bounce: He is going outside and peeing on his own! :cheer: I have never been so happy to see a dog pee! He walks :snoopy: down our steps,( he has fallen a time or two) and pees on his own...in the yard just like he wants to do. He is so happy to be going outside instead of being cathed. I am still contemplating a orthopedic support for his left ( weaker ) leg. I have left a message with his surgeon and am awaiting a call back.
Goldens are wonderful!
wicketsmom

Re: Champ is Walking! and Sometimes He is peeing on his own!

Post by wicketsmom »

Congrats and way to go Champ!! :cheer: My husband and I have said the day Wicket can pee on his own, we will throw a party! I am sure Champ is glad to be able to do his thing out in nature they way dogs like to.
Thanks for the info on the coconut oil. We might give it a try (in a smaller does as Wicket is only 15 lbs!)
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I am so thrilled for you both! :chick:

What wonderful news! I am also extremely interested in the coconut oil therapy!

My poor cousin is in pretty bad shape, and is getting worse. WC won't let her do so many medical treatments.

I am going to research the therapy for human use!

I am soooo happy for you! :) :) :) :) :yay:

This is a success story for the record books!

Best to you, and CHAMP! :bounce:
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
jrmende63

Post by jrmende63 »

I can't say for sure the coconut oil did this to help Champ, but I do know he is walking. I am so thankful for this. I never thought he would walk again. His surgeon said his was the worst case he had ever seen. Obviously Champ did not know anything about that, he just knew he wanted to get up and go!
Thanks everyone for the kind comments :D Champer and I appreciate them!
doglover27

Post by doglover27 »

my dog has the same problem:[ im really scared we might have to put him to sleep and im willing to try anything. so .5 tablespoons of coconut oil? how do i give it to him? in his food? or just put it right into his mouth?
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:strobe: doglover! What is your pupper's age and problem? It might be best if you start a new thread, too. Can he poop and pee by himself? Have you read the sticky post on this bb? It has LOTS of info.

Even if he doesn't recover completely (and chances are good that he'll at least recover well), he can still have a good life!