Golden w/ possible DM

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Goldenz2

Re: Golden w/ possible DM

Post by Goldenz2 »

Thank you Carol, Puremutt and CarolC for your kind words!!

I appreciate the photo that you sent me of Sheba, CarolC. I will have to look for something like that. I think that will help him alot!

Jeanne in NJ
Goldens, Angelo & Archie
Goldenz2

Post by Goldenz2 »

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to pop on and let you all know that Angelo is still hanging in there. His legs have gotten a little bit worse but not totally unmanageable...yet. (Thank goodness we both have strong backs!) He just finished up his one round of antibiotics for the scabs in his inner thigh area. I have not found a piece of foam or anything that I can really used like you showed me but we are still looking. We will have to keep montoring him closely for any more scabs, but worse case scenerio my Vet gave us 6 refills.

Angelo continues his fight and is not showing us that he is tired yet so we continue on. I have gotten used to not sleeping now :wink: as I get up several times a night to help flip him over when he wants to. And there is that constant monitoring of his behind LOL! We have been trying to do the poop on demand more because there is just no rhyme or reason to his bowel movements. There is ALWAYS a wee wee pad under his butt.

He barks ALOT...ALOT ALOT due to boredom/frustration/wanting attention during the day and dementia at night. We make sure that every need is taken care of. Last weekend I really wanted to get him out of the house as hard as that is. So we took him and his brother to my moms house. Angelo LOVES it there more than anything! It was cold so we couldn't stay long but boy did he sleep well when he got home. I didn't hear a peep out of him for a while LOL! Here is a photo I took of my handsome boy there.

We appreciate any good thoughts you could send our way. In one week, Angelo will be 13 yrs and 8 months old.

Jeanne in NJ
Goldens, Angelo & Archie
Attachments
angi112908.JPG
FurmomInNewMexico

Post by FurmomInNewMexico »

Jeanne,

Thanks so much for the update on Angelo. Every precious moment you have with him is invaluable. Savor every one of them!!!

Chloe is still hanging in there, and tonight we took Christmas card pics by the tree.... myself, my partner, my best friend and her son, and, of course, my sweet Chloe. I'd love to share that picture with you here, but I can't figure out how to post it. I keep trying, but it doesn't appear :(

Angelo still looks handsome! You are so brave and good to care for him tirelessly as you do. I know how much you love him, and I know HE knows it, too, and returns the same degree of love in spades!

Hang in there, savor every moment, and give your sweet boy a gentle hug and kiss for me!

Still holding you, Angelo, and your entire family in my daily prayers.....

Carol
Christmas 08
Christmas 08
Always and forever Chloe's Mom...
Christine

Post by Christine »

I have always loved seeing and reading about your Angelo. You know that I used the Lift and Assist Harness on my Bailey girl. About two months before she died, I discovered that it was actually easier to lift her by the handle with my right hand and encircle her with my left arm and hand. The weight was distributed so much more evenly and she felt so much lighter. The bonus was that I felt like I was carrying her like a baby and it felt so good and close for both of us. When I think about her now, that is what I miss the most and wish I had discovered that earlier. A friend just sent me a beautiful angel carrying a dog without even knowing about how special this was to me.

Have tried even just a small pillow between his legs to help? If you find one that works, you could put it in a plastic bag and then use a pillow case that you can re-wash.

I have a container of Phy-Cox-JS soft chews that my vet gave to us to try if you or anyone else here would like to have. Just pm me with your address and I will send them.

Sending you warm wishes for the holiday and many healing prayers for that wonderful boy!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
FurmomInNewMexico

Christine wrote:I have always loved seeing and reading about your Angelo. You know that I used the Lift and Assist Harness on my Bailey girl. About two months before she died, I discovered that it was actually easier to lift her by the handle with my right hand and encircle her with my left arm and hand. The weight was distributed so much more evenly and she felt so much lighter. The bonus was that I felt like I was carrying her like a baby and it felt so good and close for both of us. When I think about her now, that is what I miss the most and wish I had discovered that earlier. A friend just sent me a beautiful angel carrying a dog without even knowing about how special this was to me.
Hi Christine,

I get very emotional when I read about Bailey's passing. I know it must still be very hard for you, too.
We never forget our wonderful furry companions and family members... we just long for the day when we will see and embrace them again over the bridge. Please know that I pray for Bailey and you every day, and each time I have the privilege of doing some chore for Chloe, I express graditude in my heart for the fact that am still able to do so. As I said to Jeanne, each and every moment must be savored and cherished, for they are nothing less than gifts of love. My heart goes out to you at this holiday season, and I hope you are coping and getting by.

Warm, loving, comforting hugs......

Carol
Chloe Front Yard.jpg
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Awwwwwwwwwww I love your guys pictures so much!
I miss touching a dog , what a sweet bunch you all have.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
Goldenz2

Post by Goldenz2 »

Thank you Carol, Christine and Puremutt!

Carol, what a lovely photo of your family!!!

I'm sooo sorry it has been so long since I've posted. I've had some computer and other issues.

Angelo unfortunately is starting to go downhill :( . He can no longer get up on his own or flip himself over to get comfortable. He still barks out of frustration and wants to get up from laying down every couple of minutes. He hasn't had bowel control for a LONG time but this morning for the first time I noticed a circle of pee under him when I lifted him to take him outside to go. He has always retained his bladder control so I believe that this is a turning point. And this was the point where my BF and I said that we would have to make a decision. :cry:

Angelo is my first Golden, my heart dog, my best friend. I can't imagine life without him but the quality that he has right now is not what he deserves. I will keep you all posted...please keep us in your thoughts. For now, he is with us and will be loved on and spoiled as usual.

I have attached a photo I took of him in the snow. He soooo loves the snow and loves to lay there and sniff the air. I'm glad that he was able to experience this again.

~Wishing you all a very Happy & Healthy Holiday Season~

Jeanne in NJ
Goldens, Angelo & Archie
Attachments
angdec1908.JPG
Christine

Post by Christine »

Holding you, your family and Angelo close in my heart and prayers right now.
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OMG that's a gorgeous photo!

Dear Jeanne, I can only say that my dog has not been able to turn himself since...so long I don't remember, but we've had no sores so far, and it's been over a year. My dog has been weeing continually since...2 years ago at least? The weeing is so completely manageable. Not a problem AT all. Your answer is male wraps, the saviour of those of us with incontinent (especially large, thirsty incontinent) male dogs. You're right, he shouldn't lie in a puddle of pee. But he doesn't have to. He can be neat and tidy and comfy and dry and healthy and dignified in a wrap with a soft, absorbent pad. Just like a senior human.

:malewrap:
Here is a picture of my Merlin in his wrap, taken 2 years ago.
MerlinRamp.jpg
Here is information on male wraps in general.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php/Diapers_and_male_wraps

And here is an article on changing the wrap without getting him on his feet.

http://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawik ... a_down_dog

And here is a pic of him recently, with handles sewn on his wrap because it is doubling as a belly harness to get him on his feet. (You can see the difference in his stance now...this is a normal walking stance for him. You can see he's in winter coat but he has no feathers on his breeches because his rear is trimmed for reasons you will understand.)
Malewrap_gazebo.jpg
You know, I would check him for a UTI, just to be sure that isn't what caused the leakage? I know your vet mentioned something about DM, and you think he is really going downhill, and maybe that is the unfortunate case, but it is not a firm diagnosis...is it? My dog can walk if he's helped up, so I help him up. He is still very excited about meals. He still wants attention. But he hasn't been able to contain his urine since 2006. Oh well, we press on with pride! :)

I can't see your dog, or the look on his face, and I know you are considering many things regarding his quality of life. I just want you to know these things work for me, with my dog, who is not your dog but there are some similarities. I hope this helps, and in any case all best wishes during this time and

Happy holidays to you and your family!
Christine

Post by Christine »

Carol - I was just thinking about Merlin and was going to ask you how he is doing. He is so handsome and looks immaculate.

Jeanne - I was going to say that the only time Bailey had an incontinence problem, we found that she had a UTI. Her's was from holding her urine all day until I could help her support her weight to go.

Angelo's snow picture is another magazine cover!
?/1999 - 10/25/08
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Christine wrote:Angelo's snow picture is another magazine cover!
My first thought was "greeting card"! :)
FurmomInNewMexico

Goldenz2 wrote:Thank you Carol, Christine and Puremutt!

Carol, what a lovely photo of your family!!!

I'm sooo sorry it has been so long since I've posted. I've had some computer and other issues.

Angelo unfortunately is starting to go downhill :( . He can no longer get up on his own or flip himself over to get comfortable. He still barks out of frustration and wants to get up from laying down every couple of minutes. He hasn't had bowel control for a LONG time but this morning for the first time I noticed a circle of pee under him when I lifted him to take him outside to go. He has always retained his bladder control so I believe that this is a turning point. And this was the point where my BF and I said that we would have to make a decision. :cry:

Angelo is my first Golden, my heart dog, my best friend. I can't imagine life without him but the quality that he has right now is not what he deserves. I will keep you all posted...please keep us in your thoughts. For now, he is with us and will be loved on and spoiled as usual.

I have attached a photo I took of him in the snow. He soooo loves the snow and loves to lay there and sniff the air. I'm glad that he was able to experience this again.

~Wishing you all a very Happy & Healthy Holiday Season~

Jeanne in NJ
Goldens, Angelo & Archie
Hi Jeanne,

I want to say first of all that we are all well-meaning folks here with a true understanding of what you are going through, but none of us can say when the time to let Angelo go is upon you... only you can know that in your own heart, and I want you to know there will be no second-guessing, disagreement, or judgement from anyone when that day comes and you get the message that it's time to let him go. You know him better than anyone. Nobody else has the knowledge (OR the right!) to make that decision.
I know you love Angelo. That is MORE than clear by virtue of all you've done for him and all you continue to do. I know also that you want what is in his best interests, and that if you come to the conclusion it is time to release his spirit from his broken down body, then that too will be an act of love.
It is the hardest thing any of us ever has to do, but do it we must, when the time is right, and somehow each one of us knows in the quiet recesses of our own heart when our specific animal has had enough and is ready to let go of his or her physical vehicle and be released to the spirit realms. Just know what whatever you decide, WHENever you decide, is the right decision for you, and more importantly, for your brave and valiant little boy who has fought so hard and so long. Emotional distress in an animal is suffering, too. It sounds like Angelo experiences a goodly amount of that with his barking and dementia and his inability to turn. Despite his love for you and his family, he may be feeling himself trapped in a body that has become increasingly more and more a prison. If that's the case, then it is time to let him go. But as I said before, only YOU can know that....... not me, not the others who contribute to the forum, and not even your vet. All anyone else can do is offer thoughts and opinions based on their own experience, and even the vet can only advise. None of them/us know your Angelo as YOU do, and you are the one who must make the decision when it's time to say goodbye. Know that when that day comes... whether it's soon or a long time down the road!.... that you have my love and support and my profound respect for the magnificent care and quality of life you gave your sweet boy right up to the end. Meanwhile, for however much longer you have him, hungrily grasp every shred of joy you can from the good moments you spend in one another's company, and give him permission to go if he's ready. Sometimes they hang on for US, because they feel we cannot manage without them, but if you give them permission to do what is right and best and for their highest good, they will sometimes then send you a very clear message that it's time and they are ready to go.

Consider yourself hugged, and consider Angelo hugged, as well. I am constantly holding you and him in my heart and prayers, and I know that he could not have asked for a better, more loving, dedicated, selfless, caring Mom. You have both been richly blessed by the relationship.

At this holiday season, may you find some uplift and comfort to carry you through....

With Love, Blessings, and continual support...

Carol
FurmomInNewMexico

P.S. That snow picture is magnificent! I saved it to my photo fles to always keep my loving memories of Angelo fresh.......
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

I love these photographs, thank you so much for sharing! :wub:
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
CarolC