Golden w/ possible DM

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
FurmomInNewMexico

Re: Golden w/ possible DM

Post by FurmomInNewMexico »

Grreetings all!

I hope everyone had a good holiday. Mine was tinged with sadness due to the passing of my beloved mother just after Christmas last year. There were happy moments and tearful moments, but somehow we all managed to get through, including my 91 yr. old father who suffered the loss of his soulmate of some 70-odd years.

At the urging of my two older sisters and myself, he is now in the process of adopting a cat through Forever Pets, and we believe the warmth of a trusting, loving, dependent furry little beastie in the house with him will give him additional comfort and companionship. Something to come home to when he goes out and something to wake up to each morning. Not that it will or could ever replace my mom, but animals are so loving and they give us such good therapy just be being themselves and providing us something to love and care for that we all think this will be good for him. He lives in a small apartment attached to my oldest sister's home, so if he needs assistance in providing the necessary care, she'll pick up the slack.... we all will! We just want Dad to have the loving companionship and bonding with an animal. He loves them, so it should be a good situation both for him and the cat that's being adopted/rescued.

I wish I could take a couple of them myself, but for as long as Chloe hangs in there, I cannot take on any additional responsibility. She requires all my time, love, and care. She enjoyed Christmas, by the way, as some of you saw by the Christmas card pic I posted some time back. She got her own special treats plus had two more toys to open Christmas morning and enjoyed participating in and observing the gift exchange. She seems to be having more trouble walking out front to eliminate, even with the assistance of the Hartman harness. Her back end is slumping more and more, with the support we give her through the harness being entirely responsible for holding her up, but she still has full bladder and bowel control and we don't mind assisting her to eliminate.

In the house she sometimes has to be helped to her feet and she can only go a ten or eleven steps before dropping to the floor (all carpeted for soft landings!). We sometimes have to help her on or off her many cushions, or to get up and walk in circles to change positions, but again, we're happy to do it, and if we have to leave her alone, we make sure she's eliminated and had food and water first and that we are never gone for more than three hours max at a time. She's still eating good and still enthusiastic about life, so as long as she's willing to hang in there, we're gonna hang in with her. Here is a pic of from Christmas morning, ensconced on her temperpedic cushion (re-positioned in the room to make room for the tree, but still in the thick of things and able to see everything that's going on!).
I love my little girl so much!!!

Carol
Attachments
Chloe 2.jpg reduced.jpg
Always and forever Chloe's Mom...
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Yes having a pet will help your father for sure, good luck!
Cloe looks exactly how my dog was, she is in good hands and happy to be with you I recocgnize it .
You are a good person, I wish you all the best.
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
FurmomInNewMexico

Thank you, Puremutt......
Yes, I think having a cat companion will be very good for Dad. It can hardly be expected to replace my mom..... nothing ever could!!.... but it will help him to have something he loves and that loves and depends on him in return. And thank you, by the way, for your kind words. I recognize another animal lover and good human being when I see one, so we are reflections of one another. I hope you got through the holidays alright and didn't have too much sadness. I hold you in my heart.

Carol
Goldenz2

Post by Goldenz2 »

Hi all, Happy New Year!

I want to personally thank each and every one of you who has taken the time to write to me. I want you to know that I appreciate your kind words, your advice and opinions. This site has helped me so much in the past several months! And I always tell anyone who needs help for their dog to come here.

Unfortunately, we are going to call our Vet on Monday to make "the appointment" for Angelo. We have been blessed to have him in our lives for 13 years and 8 months!! That's a long time for a Goldie. At age 10 he was stricken with an deadly auto immune disease and was able to overcome it! So we have been blessed with ALL of this extra time with him!!!

The past 2 weeks we have been struggling with "when is the right time?" will he tell us? do we make the decision for him? For those of you who don't know, he is a STRONG STUBBORN STOIC boy, who wants to be here with us more than anything in the world. But on Wednesday, when I came home from work, I noticed a difference and so did my boyfriend. It is time now...everything is a struggle.

I simply cannot imagine going through the rest of my life without him by my side. We have been everywhere together and he has done more than most human children!!! I will tell him that it's ok and that he doesn't have to worry about his mom, that I will be ok. He will soon be free to run and play and swim and will have an endless supply of tennis balls!

I have many many photos of my boy, but this is how I would like to picture him when he gets to the Bridge...Run sweet boy,...Run.

Jeanne in NJ
Angelo & Archie
Attachments
angirunningresize.JPG
FurmomInNewMexico

Dearest Jeanne,

I knew this letter was coming, and I've been dreading it, knowing the emotional pain its contents have got to be causing you, and sharing in that pain with you.
I want to personally thank each and every one of you who has taken the time to write to me. I want you to know that I appreciate your kind words, your advice and opinions. This site has helped me so much in the past several months! And I always tell anyone who needs help for their dog to come here.
I too have found great comfort in this website... mostly in the stories of courage and compassion and willingness to care for four-legged spirits who have become familiy members and whose handicaps have made life a challenge.
Unfortunately, we are going to call our Vet on Monday to make "the appointment" for Angelo. We have been blessed to have him in our lives for 13 years and 8 months!! That's a long time for a Goldie. At age 10 he was stricken with an deadly auto immune disease and was able to overcome it! So we have been blessed with ALL of this extra time with him!!!

The past 2 weeks we have been struggling with "when is the right time?" will he tell us? do we make the decision for him? For those of you who don't know, he is a STRONG STUBBORN STOIC boy, who wants to be here with us more than anything in the world. But on Wednesday, when I came home from work, I noticed a difference and so did my boyfriend. It is time now...everything is a struggle.
Sweetie, it is time, and you know it from within yourself. The "change" you speak of and both you and your boyfriend's sensing of it... the way everythinng has become a struggle and how Angelo's quality of life has been impacted... all those things are his way of telling you, "I'm ready, Mom... let me go..." It's a message no pet-owner ever wants to hear, but one each one of us who truly love our animals must heed when we finally do :(
I simply cannot imagine going through the rest of my life without him by my side. We have been everywhere together and he has done more than most human children!!! I will tell him that it's ok and that he doesn't have to worry about his mom, that I will be ok. He will soon be free to run and play and swim and will have an endless supply of tennis balls!
That is the hard part... your own pain of loss and the HUGE vacant and gaping hole their abcense leaves in our hearts when they are no longer part of our household. It's hard to imagine how such a small, seemingly unassuming "package" of furry warmth, love, and light can invade our homes and hearts to such a degree, but the emptiness they leave in their parting is vast and enormous and underlines the immense value we place on them. I am sitting here with tears running down my cheeks as I write this, because Jeanne you have no idea how your sharing of Angelo's struggles and triumphs... all the beautiful photographs of his strikingly handsome and valiant countenance, etc.... have had the effect of putting him in MY heart, too!! I love him immensely, and not a day has gone by since first reading his and your story that I have not held him (and all of you!) in my prayers! I feel your pain, and I share it, but I also know that you are doing the right thing. I glanced over at my Chloe after I wrote that last sentence... she is awake and on her cushion in my home office, having had her first round of morning meds... her thyroid pill, her gastrodia, two joint support "cookies" and the rimadyl that controls her arthritic pain...
and she is content to rest here while they take effect. Then she will be ready to have the back half of her harness attached so I can take her out front to eliminate, sniff, and observe the neighborhood before being brought back in for her morning meal. I know that she is more precious to me than life itself, and yet I also know her time is coming as well. I don't know specifically when, but it's doubtful she will make it through an entire new year, so I shall be facing the same heart-breaking task as you sometime in the not too distant future.... one I have faced four times now in my role as a "furmom", and the one that is without question the hardest one we ever endure. Please know that my heart goes out to you and that I will be with you in that most difficult of moments when you let your little boy go.
I will never forget him, OR you, and I know you gave him your ultimate and highest best in every way, including and ESPECIALLY in the quality of your love. It is that that I believe we are questioned on when we leave this world... not how rich or successful you were... not whether or not you achieved fame or recognition... but simply this: "What was the quality of your love?" And you can answer honestly that it was the very best and highest possible.
I have many many photos of my boy, but this is how I would like to picture him when he gets to the Bridge...Run sweet boy,...Run.
And run he shall!!! With a heart full of warm and loving memories of a glorious lifetime lived on this earth as your boy. God bless you, Angelo, sweet, brave baby... may you take great pleasure in the renewal of your strength and capacity for joy as you enter the environs across the Rainbow Bridge. Please convey my love and greetings to all those who have crossed that bridge before you! One day we'll all be re-united, and what a party it will be!

Your loving Auntie Carol & Chloe
FurmomInNewMexico

The picture is glorious, and I have saved it to hold in my heart and remember your precious boy forever at his best and finest.........
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

Your beautiful beautiful boy. My heart breaks for your impending loss. It is going to be hard. It is supposed to be, because they give us so very much, and they are a part of our lives moreso than any other living creature, including humans. My guy is goin to the Bridge on Sunday and although it hurts to see him in distress, it is harder to lose him. Our boys will play pain free (for St.Jude for the first time in his existence) and frolic, and they will wait for us.
I cry just thinking of your loss. And your beautiful boy, who has been so lucky to have you for his family. We'll be here for you, to hold your hand and to cry with you. Give your boya hug from all of us. He is so loved.
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
FurmomInNewMexico

puremutt wrote:Yes having a pet will help your father for sure, good luck!
Cloe looks exactly how my dog was, she is in good hands and happy to be with you I recocgnize it .
You are a good person, I wish you all the best.
Hello Puremutt!

I am very sad over the latest post from Jeanne about Angelo. So many of us have taken him into our hearts, and as you know the pain of loss is immense when we must let one go. None of us will ever forget him, or Jeanne and the immense love she displayed for him in caring for his needs so selflessly and unceasingly. We all do our utmost best for our animal companions/family members, and that is as it should be. I hope some of your pain of loss over Mickey is lessoning somewhat with the passage of time. I hold you both in my heart every single day, and while I know you'll never ever stop loving or missing him, I do hope you are comforted somewhat knowing he is okay where he's at, and that he can once more run and play and leap for joy, doing all the things his physical body would not allow in his final stages of life here in the earth.

I wanted to post a picture for you of the cat my father adopted. She is a beauty, and I know she knows well that her human "assignment" is in need of love and healing, and together I am hoping they will find great companionship and comfort in one another's presence.

May the year 2009 hold joy for you, and may we all find our way through the difficult and painful challenges life places in our paths...

Here's Dad's new furry friend...

Love Always,
Carol
Attachments
My 91 yr. old Dad's new friend....
My 91 yr. old Dad's new friend....
puremutt

Post by puremutt »

Thank you for your kind words, I still struggle with it every day it is SO much harder than I could ever have imagined.
Your father will have a great ( and soft ) new best friend; somebody to talk to , take care of and laugh at.
Good luck!
mickey 1994- sept 26 ,2008

let all beings be happy
FurmomInNewMexico

Thank you for your kind words, I still struggle with it every day it is SO much harder than I could ever have imagined.
Oh Puremutt, I'm so sorry!!! I can really feel your pain, and I truly do share it. Anyone who's ever lost a beloved an animal companion can surely do so! You're right about how immensely hard it is. Such a huge part of our lives were filled with their sweet, warm, furry presence and the void left behind when they leave is vast and enormous :( I do truly hope it gets better for you. You don't "get over it".... it's not like the measles!... but it does lighten over time. The sadness will always arise when you think of him, and tears most likely, too... but hopefully the good memories will also and will help you get through one day at a time. I am sending you warm hugs and much love, sweet lady.... you are not alone!!!
Your father will have a great ( and soft ) new best friend; somebody to talk to , take care of and laugh at.
Yes, he will. It's a good thing he has done for himself, and for this sweet little furry being that is assuming the role of his companion.
Good luck!
Thank you, kind lady, and you hang in there! This is an engery hug being extended from me to you..!
((((((((((((((((((Puremutt)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Love & Best Wishes,
Carol

P.S. Chloe sends comforting licks as well...
spoiled princess, ensconced on Italian leather couch!!!
spoiled princess, ensconced on Italian leather couch!!!
Goldenz2

Post by Goldenz2 »

Carol,

Thank you for your many kind words. Unfortunately, I am not that good with words...but I want to say that I wish you much more time with your baby who is obviously so loved by you and your family. I appreciate your kindness more than you know or more than I can express.

CarolC, (Golden's mommy)

Thank you so much for your tips and advice on how to make life easier for my boy. It is very much appreciated. And I also wish you much more time with your baby. Give him a hug for me ok?

Karen,

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Our boys will soon be free...

Jeanne in NJ
Angelo & Archie
FurmomInNewMexico

Carol,

Thank you for your many kind words. Unfortunately, I am not that good with words...but I want to say that I wish you much more time with your baby who is obviously so loved by you and your family. I appreciate your kindness more than you know or more than I can express.

CarolC, (Golden's mommy)

Thank you so much for your tips and advice on how to make life easier for my boy. It is very much appreciated. And I also wish you much more time with your baby. Give him a hug for me ok?

Karen,

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Our boys will soon be free...

Jeanne in NJ
Angelo & Archie
((((((((((((((((Jeanne))))))))))))))))))) Love and comfort surround and embrace you. This pain is tough to handle, but with the help of other loving pet parents, we lend one another strength and somehow manage to do what we must for beloved furbabies. You are not alone!!!! Never ever that!!!!

Love Always,
Carol