Advice for 15 yr. old cat

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
SSSSCopper

Advice for 15 yr. old cat

Post by SSSSCopper »

Hi everyone,
I'm am new to the site as I've been looking for a solution to my 15 yr. old cat Smokey's leg problems.
He has increasingly lost the use of his back legs,and we're considering buying him a device to help his
mobility.However, I know nothing about this and haven't seen anything lightweight for cats.Also,he is
losing the ability to make it to the litter for a #2.We're still ok for a #1 thank goodness.I'm worried that if
we chose the device,we may lose that ability also.If anyone has any insight or advice in this area, I would
love to hear from you.
CarolC

Re: Advice for 15 yr. old cat

Post by CarolC »

Cats are quite different from dogs, it is unusual for a cat to begin to lose the use of the hind legs due to aging. They might become arthritic, but they don't usually start dragging in my experience. Was your cat ever injured, or is there any reason to believe he has a spinal problem that you know of?

I wonder if there is something else going on, perhaps something metabolic. A cat with chronic renal failure will become weak in the hind legs. Has your cat had a senior panel? The vet can determine if the kidneys are functioning well. They can also be sure he isn't diabetic.

I'm sure there are plenty of other things that could cause the same symptoms, but CRF is a fairly common condition, and especially in a 15-year old cat. It is quite manageable. If you haven't had him checked this year, that is what I would do before looking into wheelchairs.

There are varioius handicapped litter boxes for cats who drag, if this turns out to be a simple mobility problem. Here is one example.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/?title=Litterbox_for_handicapped_pet

There are also several wheelchair companies that make wheelchairs for cats, though many cats like the freedom of dragging/scooting without a wheelchair.

http://www.doggon.com/products/others.html (this brand is sold through this website)

http://www.eddieswheels.com/
SSSSCopper wrote:I'm worried that if we chose the device,we may lose that ability also.
I think you're saying you're afraid that the kitty won't be able to potty in a wheelchair. Actually, the wheelchairs are designed to allow normal elimination, however the cat won't be able to spend all day in it, more like a couple of hours at a time, and only when someone is home to supervise.

I'm sorry, I'm pretty sure everything I've said is different than what you had in mind. Maybe someone else here will have different ideas, but I'd really encourage you to take him in for blood tests. It may be something treatable and he won't need a wheelchair.

:heartswelcome:
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:pastel: If I were you, I'd express poop, AKA poop on demand. See the red sticky post on the incontinence bb for more info.
SSSSCopper

Post by SSSSCopper »

Thank you so much for all your advice,
I've actually been wondering if he may be diabetic,we are also having a puking issue with him.I did have x-rays
done of his spine after his legs started having trouble,but they looked fine.(He did fall off of the dryer a few times( our dog
would eat his food so we put a stool for him to jump up there to eat).Since then we've install a sm. size doggy door for him in the laundry room where his food is to keep the dog out,and him from having to jump. I am planning on taking him in for more testing and can't express how much I appreciate the advice.I will keep looking for help for him and will let you know how it goes.
Rosebud's mom

Post by Rosebud's mom »

Our 16 year old cat, Rosebud, is having the same exact problem. We have had x-rays and blood tests and everything seems fine except that his back legs are getting weaker every day and he is having problems getting up when he lays down. He still eats like a horse. We are distraught. The vet said that it might be a neurological problem, but offered no real solutions or diagnosis. I did not know what to do so I tried the internet. I cannot believe that so many pets seem to have the same type of problems. My heart just bleeds for all of them and their wonderful loving caregivers. However, I still do not know where to go or where to turn in order to help my treasured Rosebud. He does not appear to be in any pain. I can move his legs ...which he seems to enjoy. Does massage, acupuncture and or special medications help? Are there a veterinarians that specialize in this type of problem? If so, how do you locate them? Any suggestions or advice will be deeply appreciated.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I have a Maine Coon cat who is also about 16. He was walking almost down on his hocks and I was afraid he had become diabetic and took him in to be checked. His glucose came back fine and kidney values were fine. The vet put him on the floor and let him stand on 3 legs while he lifted one hind foot off the ground. Then he let him stand on 3 legs while he lifted the other hind foot off the ground. My cat could remain standing on three legs when one foot was lifted, but he sunk down when the other foot was lifted, showing his weakness is more on one side. He pointed out that he walks with his hind feet wide apart, which he said indicated he was having a problem with proprioception. The vet asked if he sometimes drops a "poop" outside the box (yes). He said it is neurological. I think he mentioned calcification in the spine which is kind of unusual in cats, and said there is really no treatment. (Sorry, my memory is spotty here.) I think he said they used to give pain meds but they found they didn't help. Anyway, my cat is 16, he can walk but with a degree of difficulty, and we are just accepting it. We'll make any adaptations that might be needed. He's basically happy. :)
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:heartswelcome: Have you tried a little pred? I'd be curious to know what, if any, difference it would make in the way Rosebud feels (and motors!). Meds can also be tried for incontinence or pain, but there really aren't oceans of options beyond dealing with the problems and adapting as necessary (like what SSSSCopper did with the door). One problem with cats is that they're notoriously independent critters who often don't take well to help, such as splints, wheelchairs, or even being carried somewhere. :mrgreen: I've found that stairs to get to bed or other raised places are usually used and appreciated, though, frequently by non-disabled siblings as well. Ditto for adapted litterboxes. :)