Group for Wheelchair Dog Agility

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Group for Wheelchair Dog Agility

Post by Bobbie »

We've started a new group for those who want to continue agility with their cart dog or try it for the first time.

You are invited to join Clean Roll!

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/cleanroll/

If you have trouble joining email me and I'll send you an approved
invitation.

Right now the main goal of the group is to set standards for equipment and make up rules, so if you are interested in being in on the ground floor, join now.

(There will be NO jumping or other things that are unsafe for a cart dog.)

Bobbie
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Re: Group for Wheelchair Dog Agility

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

What a briliant, wonderful idea!

Best wishes for a great launch!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Brilliant idea!! How about wheelchair cats? But, then, I don't think Ari could be very agile, even in her cart! :hysterical:
B-boy

Post by B-boy »

That is a truly pawsome idea!!!
I have been training me dog in cross country trials. Check him out on the youtube. search "B-boy's new ride...". He will surely be joining in the Agility group. FUN...I would love to know a set of obstacles that I can build to get him started.
Waggin tails
B-boy
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Well, we don't have much going yet but you'll be able to see pictures of a tunnel and an A-frame. I'm going to make a teeter for Candy soon, basically the same design as my ramp.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Lfisher

Post by Lfisher »

Great idea! I am posting my question in this form since you folks likely also have smart, active dogs that now happen to be wheelchair bound. I'm looking for ways to play/entertain my 7 yr old Aussie who has IVDD and no use of her back legs. We live in Florida, so long walks this time of year aren't an option.

My question is, have any of you tried teaching tricks or otherwise entertaining your paralyzed dog indoors? Our Daisy doesn't really get herself around indoors, we carry her, she can only "scoot" a short distance.

Daisy and I appreciate any ideas you have!
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

The agility group has more or less petered out but is still up because the directions for building equipment are in the files. They are also in my book- along with lots of other ideas. The agility stuff was great for me indoors with corgis as I Had a use space to use it in hot weather.

Bigger dogs are tougher as they can't always use carts indoors. But things like puzzles are good, teaching tricks, etc. If she can't move a lot, try the various puzzles. For an Aussie skip right to the most challenging ones. We had "The Tornado", which was pretty good. Look at the Nina Ottosson pzuzles and you'll find similar ones by other makers, too. Using carrots as treats is a good idea as calories can add up.

Also consider doing Rally obedience. It would be in the cart, but you probably know that engaging your Aussie's brain for a short period of the day will help a lot to tire her out. Plus a lot of moves you could work on out of the cart, too.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Lfisher wrote: My question is, have any of you tried teaching tricks or otherwise entertaining your paralyzed dog indoors? Our Daisy doesn't really get herself around indoors, we carry her, she can only "scoot" a short distance.
What kind of floors do you have?
Lfisher

Post by Lfisher »

Thanks Bobbie!

And we have wood floors, very few rugs. We tried piting on gripper socks for a while to help Daisy avoid slipping, but she doesn't use back legs at all now to support her weight.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

OK, well, I think you were on the right track, trying to find something for traction. I had one dog who was very old and it was true he could not scoot very far, but I think with him it was a combination of senior problems, he just wasn't strong. Another dog did fine on carpet but could not scoot on the wood floor or tile so I ended up getting floor mats for the kitchen and entryway and bathroom. Some people have used carpet runners, too. I found the mats solved the problem. I like the big 3 x 5 mats with low pile carpet in the center and a flat rubber border around the edge. They come in several colors at places like Home Depot or Lowes, and they stay in place on the slick floor, you don't have to keep rearranging them with your foot. If you spill something on one, you can take it outside and hose it off and hang it over the fence to dry and you can't even tell. I would say if you have a dog that drags and is trying to drag on a slippery floor like wood or tile, it is important to keep the nails trimmed so more of the paw pads can contact the floor for traction, but if you have mats they get around better. Usually dogs can scoot inside pretty well, that would be more normal, and lifting an Aussie a lot is...a lot of lifting. :shock: It might be worth trying some mats for a day, and if they do not help you can always return them. :D
sheri m

Post by sheri m »

It has taken me 10 months to be able to come back on line but here I am. Pete was in wheels for almost 10 years when he passed on. The best thing I found was buying the rubber shelf liner (the thicker works best) cutting it in strips and then tape it to his front feet with hockey tape. I would put it on in the morning and remove it at night. I also used it to wrap his rear feet so they would not get cut up running around outside. Pete was quite mobile both inside and out.