Update on HaleyBop

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
KimK

Update on HaleyBop

Post by KimK »

Just wanted to give everyone an update on the Bop. She is doing remarkably well! It's now been 3 months since I found her down....three months of ups, downs, tears, joy, you name it. Quite a gamet of emotions. Since she ended her crate rest the 26th of March, there has been "small steps" of improvement each week....literally! She goes weekly to a wonderful hydrotherapist, who is slowly and steadily getting Haley to loosen up her back legs. She was soooo contracted and stiff, now the left leg can bend at the knee with a minimum of massage and heat, but the right leg still is quite stiff and sore for my poor girl. But she is walking! :snoopy: It's kind of a "wacky" walk sometimes, especially when she's tired, but she's doing it! If she walks slowly or at a regular pace, there is obvious steps with both legs. However, if she gets excited and moves quickly, well, she just drags the back legs along. And for the first time this week, her tail was up and over her back, in true chihuahua fashion! I wish I had kept her legs from getting stiff during her crate rest, however the vet told me not to do anything. Even her therapist wishes I had talked to her, she would have given me some exercises to keep Haley from getting so stiff. I feel guilty, but this was all so new and devastating to me at the time. She lost so much muscle tone, and we are working with her to build it back up. My friend says she looks like "popeye" chihuahua, big, strong chest and front legs, but weak and thin in the back.

Haley is still on some anti-inflammatory meds, just to keep her from getting sore after her therapy. Bladder and bowel control....well, she holds her urine the entire time I'm at work while she is crated. (about 8 hours) However, if she gets excited while she's out of her crate and it's been a few hours since she's been out....little accidents. I still have her "poop on demand"....she can't hold a bowel movement for long anymore, and get's so upset if she goes in her crate. Even though it's a small little dropping, she just doesn't like it!

I check in here every day, to see how all of you are doing, and to see if I can post any encouragement for new posters and their pups. You all were so encouraging and supportive, I cannot tell you enough how much I appreciate all of you. Thank you, thank you, all of you! :thankyou:
CarolC

Re: Update on HaleyBop

Post by CarolC »

Kim, this is such a good report. :bounce: I am especially, especially impressed about the sickle tail being up over the back. That is something my little dog never got back though it improved somewhat. My dog is the same way about any soiling in her crate. She just hates it, I think they are fastidious. If you get a chance to ask, it would be very interesting to hear what exercises the therapist would have given you for your dog's situation during crate rest. It would also be interesting to see what your vet would say now about those particular recommendations, seeing how it went without them. I am so glad Haley is doing well! :)
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

YAY!

Wait, I meant to say YAAAYYYYY!

:ecstatic: :ecstatic:
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
sunspirit

Post by sunspirit »

Thanks for the wonderful update. I love hearing about the successes! HaleyBop is such a cute name :-)
Lauren & Tucker

Tucker http://www.dogster.com/?299836

Caroline

Post by Caroline »

You too have come a long way, it's all uphill now.
So happy that she walks a bit again wonderful news!! :trophy:

Every dog is a lion at home.
H. G. Bohn
kristenv

Post by kristenv »

Hi Kim,
First off congrats on the progress!! It is so good to hear that you are seeing improvements, and remember muscle strength can be regained. You did all the correct things for the Bop...no Guilt on her stiffness!!!!! Without your diligence on the crate rest she might be in a much different place recovery wise.

I wonder if she would benefit from some nightly heat therapy and massage??

I think it is helpful for lossening up and relaxing musle tissue, and the heat is great for stimulating circulation.

I have a rectangular heating (microwave) pad that I lay on Samy's back, and then I massage his back (towards the heart) very gently. For his feet and legs I place my hand around his paws and squeeze gently 5-10 times, move his little feet at the ankle joint, and also massage his hind legs upwards and towards the heart.

You may already be doing this and if so........never mind :wink: .
But Yeah :bounce: for you and the bop!!!!!

Wishing you continued healing!!

Kristen and Samy
Kristen, Samy, and Dottie
Jenner, Alex, BB
4 epsiodes of IVDD for Samy: Surgery x2 , crate rest x2 still going strong
Dottie no IVDD
Rory no IVDD (at the bridge)
wicketsmom

Post by wicketsmom »

Kim,

I am so glad to hear about HalyBop. I know that 3 months can feel like an eternity, but it is so great to see those "baby steps" in improvement. Like other posters have said, I wouldn't feel guilty at all. Each vet gives different advice and we trust them to tell us what is best for the "furkids". You did what was best for your pup. Now that she is healing you can focus on pumping up those muscles! You are lucky to have a hydrotherapist nearby. The closest one here is 5 hours away, so Wicket gets a weekly swim in the tub wich he surprisingly enjoys as long as he gets to have a rubber duck in there with him! :D
I love the popeye comparison. They do get some big muscles in their front legs!