need encouragment for 18 month maltese

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
theservs

Re: need encouragment for 18 month maltese

Post by theservs »

Hi guys,
Well, I just had to tell you all two things:

1. Tonight I had to leave for work for about 4 hours, leaving Dolcezza alone for the first time..Boy was I a mess. But, just got home and although the diaper was in need of a change, all else was a-okay!

2. So, I have been cutting the preemie diapers on the sides for her. You know the little white, tiny, specs that come out of the diaper? Well, today I opened the crate and seriously it looked like her diaper exploded! There was a pile of those things all swollen and urine-filled falling out of the side of the diaper! Of course when I took her out of the crate they fell all over the floor. What a royal pain! Yet another adventure with incontinent pets and diapers!

Anyway, today was a pretty good day, Mike was home alone while I worked a bit in the morning and he said she did great, then I left her alone tonight and she did well too. I really think the pain meds helped calm her down a bit.

Talk to you all soon!

Judy
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

Is there any way to put a piece of tape over where you cut the diaper to keep the little bits from falling out? Mason's diaper I tucked in to the diaper to make fit around legs instead of cutting. He was a big boy at first then lost alot of weight . It was hard finding diapers to fit him as I had to keep going smaller.
Last edited by Friend2Dogs on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
theservs

Post by theservs »

Friend2Dogs,
I thought about that, even using shipping tape, but then I found that all 20 that I cut were the same way. I just threw them out and started over. Live and learn as they say.
Thanks for the suggestion. I swear finding the right diaper in the right size is pivitol! I just cut 20 more and am going to tuck them in on the sides, like you said. She's going to have to get used to it! :P

Judy
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

The diapers bothered Mason at first, but he got used to them. He hated having accidents in the house, so after he realized diapers mean no messes, he was ok with them. I started out with adults diapers on Mason, he went down to little boys pull ups and then large in baby diapers . He could not walk or stand ( we got him a wheel chair) and then he got cancer , he had surgery for the cancer and died two months later. He was a goofy happy dog right to the end.
Last edited by Friend2Dogs on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mspinki

Post by mspinki »

Hi! Just wanted you to know I am thinking of you, Dolcezza and your other babies! :wub:
LPerez

Post by LPerez »

Hi, I have been reading all of your little one's journey and I am so happy that everything seems to working out. You are a wonderful Mommy and I pray for the both of you. I have a little yorkie girl who weighs 2 lbs and I have a difficult time fitting her for diapers as well. I have pruchased doll diapers and cut them. I have the same issue with all od the white fluff that comes out. I saw a video where someone used masking tape and taped the areas they cut and it seems to work well. Another option is to use a washable diaper made of cotton and you can put a sanitary napkin like depends cut to fit. You would only change the pad and then reapply. I have severaL so when they get dirty I just wash it and place on a clean one. They come in many different color designs with matching dresses or vests. Here are two of my favorite sites: www.designerdoggie.net and http://dachshundsdressedforshow.com/online-catalog.html. Hang in there it will get better. Good luck
Laura
theservs

Post by theservs »

Laura, Mspinki and Friend2Dogs:
Wow, thanks for the sites, ideas and comments. Today was a rough day and again, we need to go back to the drawing board.
I had to work today and had an appointment 1 1/2 hours away, then I had to get back to Tampa and had a dinner program for work at 6:00PM. I thought I could make it from Orlando to home and back out to dinner program. It was ridiculous and I called Mike and told him we need to have our pet sitter come over on these days. That was unfair to just come in for 20 minutes, express, clean, re-diaper and out the door.
When I got home tonight, Dolcezza had gotten out of her diaper, but still had the cone on. There was no poop so apparently she ate it. I have read that pineapple makes the poop unnatractive to the dog so I may pick up some pineapple.
Friend2Dogs, after Mason became your furr angel did you get another furr-child? I can't imagine myself without dogs in my life.

Well, we'll see what tomorrow brings!

Judy
Friend2Dogs

Post by Friend2Dogs »

deleted
Last edited by Friend2Dogs on Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aus Dilecce

Post by Aus Dilecce »

Smoke (non handicapped but somewhat geriatric border collie) is a terrible poo eater, mainly her own. I find just one teaspoon of crushed pineapple out the can deters her. My only fear would be that it is quite acidic with Dolcezza's other 'issues' at the moment. There is also a powder from the vet but it works out much more expensive - of course!
theservs

Post by theservs »

Hi guys,
I love the sites for the doggie panties and ordered some yellow gingham panties to match her yellow dress she already had. I ordered a dress and panty outfit and will take a pic when I get them. I especially love the site that will alter the holes for the tail! Sweet! I find that tail holes are very large and I use a diaper underneath the panties just to keep the poo in.

As for the eating of her own poop, I've heard of the pineapple thing and I'm going to try just a little to see what happens. See I bought the sleepy time bed and have it. She loves it but:
1. can't leave her in there "naked" if she eats her own poop
2. I wish they made that bed smaller. They are missing out on a bunch of customers cause Dolcezza swims in it. Gonna keep it anyway cause I love the concept of letting her sleep naked and get air to skin. We are going to wait till her stitches are out and that incision is completely healed before we let her do that.

I had to go to work tonight for 4 hours and she did great with the diaper! I put a diaper on her and the denim panties over it as double protection. Viola!

I also noticed today that she started playing with me a bit while in her crate. I was using her favorite toy and she was swatting at it playfully. It made me feel so good cause it was her "old self" back again.

I'll attach a photo as soon as I get her new outfit! thanks for the link!!

Judy