Is it to late to crate?

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
racegirlrandi

Is it to late to crate?

Post by racegirlrandi »

Thanks again everyone i was finally able to get my friends HUSBAND! to accept that poopsie needs crating! But is it really too late? from my perspective there seems to be a very gradual improvment its the instability that worries me. Hes so unstable and i just know hes a accident waiting to happen. now heres the thing x rays show there is no real physical damage seen by the xrays wich i am now starting to wonder if it wasnt somthing else that caused him to lose the use of his back legs. Quick rundown not able to walk rear legs only , he never lost his ability to poo po or pee pee and the way his back will bow up at times and his back legs will at times just go east or west doesnt matter anyhow with all that i personally think and want your opinion that he can still be helped majorly if crated i dont think he is permanently in this state but if reinjured well we all know it would only be worse. so here it is how long do we crate him at this point and how do we take him to do his business? do we let him step out without support or do we sling him? help! also i came up with a great way to keep everyone happy while crating him! i built him a crate on top of a radio flyer wagon so he can go with fran everywhere!
thanks again
BOBBYS,BOBBA-LOUS, PHAT-GIRL MOMMA DOGS,PRINCESS'S,
DONKEYS(a.k.a. Dinky-Dinky-Donk-Donk our newest, a mexican hairless),
BUDDYS and lastly GINGERS mom
RANDI
the QUEEN
Aus Dilecce

Re: Is it to late to crate?

Post by Aus Dilecce »

Hi There,

Some more info which might help people wanting to give you advice is, what breed is he? How long ago did this happen? Was there an 'event' or did he just stop walking? How old is he?
racegirlrandi

Post by racegirlrandi »

:blush: im so sorry it would be helpful i guess. i just thought ,well i wasnt thinking to be honest. poopsie is 7 years old he is a 18 pd male mini doxi there was no apparent injury thatthey could recall and x rays shoed Nothing course they are just x rays. here is what i was toldwhen poopsie became totally unable to use his back legs, my girlfriend frans husband claimed hed been trying to tell her for a week that he wasnt walking right. now i know fran may not have noticed him walking differantly but i vcan sure say that ray her husband most likely was right in that he told her ..fran herselfs pretty sick with back problems herself. again that all is just heresay but my opinion is instead of using the many ramps they have for their dogs to the beds the couches the chairs the steps you name it they have a ramp for it poopsie may have jumped from the bed ive seen iy he doesnt like the ramp and its because its too narrow he will use rays much wider one but frans no way and even if rays is wider the risk of injury is there cuz he is so wobbly. like i said he has improved but at way to slow of a pace. I had my female doxi go paralyzed in a matter of hours with all four legs involved unable to do anything but lie on her side and eat. i just would like to say to all of you who are experiencing this horrible and at the same time enlightening experience DONT GIVE UP ON YOUR LIL FRIEND!!! They have an amazing ability to withstand these things and miracles do happen im so happy to say that my "Phat-Girl" momma dog has recovered 99.9% except for the little "Kick like a leprachaun with both heels in the air she does now when excited she has had a perfect recovery!!!!!! from what i could gather if the four limbs are involved for a certain amount of time (hers was 2 months) but that they sdont recover completely. is this true cuz if so she is a miracle!!! When you are faced with this the only hope they have is your love yopur strength and perseverance and of course the powers from above so DONT GIVE UP!!!
the QUEEN
Aus Dilecce

Post by Aus Dilecce »

Sorry to hear about your friend's little mate. I would think that crate rest would be helpful at any stage. How long ago did he go down? He might even be ready for a little PT or at least ROM to help strengthen him.
racegirlrandi

Post by racegirlrandi »

Poopsie is actually walking but not well he is getting better but way too slowly i feel he would be better if he were to be in the crate but how long is my question dio we crate him for
the QUEEN
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Good Morning Randi,

Welcome back. I remember when your dog went down.

We're not vets; just owners of animals who have experienced awful injuries.

You can't go wrong with crate resting from 6 to 8 weeks. And it's free. Since the pup appears to be in some recovery, there is still the possibility of reinjury from jumping, climbing stairs, jumping down from furniture, etc.

An xray won't necessiarily show the IVDD injury. Did the vet prescribe any steroids?

A mini dox at 18 lb. would be a bit overweight. Encourage your friends to start the pup on a slow diet to "get down the pounds". Use small carrot bites and unsalted green beans as treats.

I hope they cooperate and put the pup into a resting crate. You're trying to do them a big favor.

Dianne