Auggie is down...

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
Paul Coover

Auggie is down...

Post by Paul Coover »

Well, you hope it never happens, and you are never really prepared for it, but I didn't even think of it when Auggie was hobbling around limping yesterday afternoon. Then, suddenly, he is dragging both of his back legs.

Now, we have 2 downed dogs and we have one that recovered from being down, but this is the first time that we have ever had a dog go down on us. Of course, he is on crate rest, and I know all of the proper advice as I have given it thousands of times. But, man, it just stinks!

So, everyone keep good thoughts in their minds for our Auggie, who will be 13 next month. Hopefully he will recover and be OK, but if not, we do have Johanna's old wheelchair cart! Go figure!
Weinerdogs Rule!
-Paul Coover
http://www.myspace.com/paulcoover

Hello from Kebo, Riley, Willy, Johanna, Pork Chop, Auggie, Buddy, Sadie & Spartacus.

We miss you Pedro...
critters
Founding Member

Re: Auggie is down...

Post by critters »

Well, at least he's in the best prepared Doxie family in the country!!!
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

Paul, that's awful. I'm so sorry. I hope he is still continent.

And now you have a new baby in the house, too! Best wishes to your new family.

Dianne
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Bummer, Paul. I hope he improves.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
kristenv

Post by kristenv »

I am so sorry to hear about Auggie.
Your family will be in my prayers...
Kristen
Kristen, Samy, and Dottie
Jenner, Alex, BB
4 epsiodes of IVDD for Samy: Surgery x2 , crate rest x2 still going strong
Dottie no IVDD
Rory no IVDD (at the bridge)
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

:grouph: we are all concentrating super hard to send all of our good vibes to Auggie.Hoping he is ok - and back to his old self soon. hopefully he won't even need the cart .
Aus Dilecce

Post by Aus Dilecce »

Sending positive thoughts from downunder. Hope he copes with the crate rest it can be a big adjustment can't it?
Kate xx
Christine

Post by Christine »

Awww...I was thinking the same thing Critters said...if it had to happen, he is in the best place in the world. So sorry to hear this. Seems like he just joined the family. We are all rooting for a recovery and a quick one. Take care.
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
connie

Post by connie »

oh poor auggie, i am so sorry to hear that news. but if love and devotion can get him going on 4 feet again, he will. your home like i always said must have angels flying over. i admire all you and your wife do, you have your hands full.
cricket is back to dragging again after doing so well on spinal walking all these years. it hurts so bad to see them slip back.
auggie and all your family are in my prayers, i pray auggie gets a miracle.
hugs to all,
connie and cricket
Bobbie
Wheelchair Expert

Post by Bobbie »

Connie, get Cricket checked out. When Wesley quit hopping and started dragging I thought it was his spine but it turned out to be another serious health issue that was just sapping his energy.
Bobbie Mayer
"Corgis on Wheels: Understanding and Caring for the Special Needs of Corgis with Degenerative Myelopathy or DIsk Disease available now!
http://www.corgiaid.org/cart/corgisonwheels
Cindidoxiemom

Post by Cindidoxiemom »

Paul~
My heart is just aching for you and Auggie right now. Oscar and Hunter went down within a month of each other. It is sooooooo hard to see it happen. You know the drill; you know what to do. Keep that love flowing for your baby Auggie. He will be in my prayers!
I am not a vet; please consult your vet before making any treatment decisions.

Hunter IVDD Surgery x 2~Walking
Oscar IVDD Surgery x 1~ Paralyzed
Sage and Misty
Jane Scott

Post by Jane Scott »

So very sorry to hear your news. Auggie, Harley and I are sending you very positive vibes! Jane
Harley the "Monkey-boy"