I don't understand what the vet means

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
lostmary

I don't understand what the vet means

Post by lostmary »

Hi all,

I have a 16 yo doxi who is just old. That is according to the vet. Her right leg crumbles under her when she tried to walk. Sometimes she can hop around and she can kinda run in circles. (that is because the back end starts falling). first my doc said that it was just because she was old, and the nerves were dying off. Then she said that the problem seems to be in her hips. I'm not sure what she has. She can't stand to do her business, and she does have a grade 5 heart mummer and Cushings. She also has thryoid problems. She is on meds for everything now but the cushings. doc took her off of it a month and a half ago. Chelsea also sometimes forgets what she is doing, so we tend to have a lot of accidents in the house. I think that is because she can't get out fast enough. We just had all the carpet removed and laminate wood floors put down so she could drag herself around without getting rug burns. She is still happy and loving as every. I'm not sure what to get her. I'm looking at a rear harness, as I think a cart would be too hard on her. Any thoughts?

Mary
critters
Founding Member

Re: I don't understand what the vet means

Post by critters »

:slant: If I were you, I'd find another vet--an internist, and maybe a neuro. You need some answers. With a Doxie, IVDD (disk disease) would be my first thought.
Dianne

Post by Dianne »

:welcomeblue: Mary

The vet is conveying the message that he has given up. The message is clear that you need another vet.

It could be IVDD as long bodied dogs are prone to it, or many other things. Sixteen is a wonderful milestone and I commend you for taking such good care of you doxie.

There are slings listed here. Scroll down to find slings: http://www.handicappedpet.net/helppets/ ... =4&t=10626
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

She is old; unfortunately there is no cure for that...
i would consider using a bottums up type harness to aid her in keeping her back end up and going in the direction she desires. i agree with you that the cart may just be too much for her to deal with. since the front end works and she is trying, i would look at the different type harnesses or lift aids.... you can also try using a towel or a leash strapped under her lower belly first to see how she adjusts to assistance.
you can purchase disposable bed pads for people at hospital supply stores. they are relatively inexpensive and large - if she frequently messes on a sleeping are due to not getting up quick enough, these could make for less clean up.
SandyNY

Post by SandyNY »

P.S.:
I know you will get 20 replies to seek a new vet. But , be aware that many vets will not think it desirable to keep a dog alive who i showing signs of an inability to walk by himself. We wish the whole world was as enlightened as ourselves but this simply is not the case.
You can use aids to assist in standing and walking. you can use massage and heat therapy to aid in arthitic joints or old age soreness. You can use herbs and diets to address the health issues. You don;t have to give up.
But if you do decide to seek veterinary assistance or second opinions, at least try to ask questions up front before the appointment or even explain the situation and your desires and opinions as to quality of life and if you are or are not ready to let her go..... or ask what therapies they currently employ in treating older dogs; just don't go in blind.
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

I agree on the Bottoms Up leash since she really just needs a little help.

http://handicappedpets.biz/www/pet-prod ... lings.html

It was nice of you to change the floor for her. In addition to the Bottoms Up leash, you might try items you have at home. Here are a couple of great photos from Dodgers List. I did something similar to this with my dog.

http://dodgergallery.ourdogs.net/recovery/slingwalk

http://dodgergallery.ourdogs.net/recovery/Pennys_sling

Have you looked at the diaper information? Here is a link.

https://www.handicappedpets.com/mediawiki/index.php/Diapers_and_male_wraps

I think I would try confining her when I'm not home. It's just my feeling. Old dogs kind of need to be watched, they can get into predicaments where they really need someone there to help them. You might consider getting her a play pen. It won't matter if she has an accident in the play pen, they are easy to clean up. :)