Update on my cocker spaniel

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
jazzybaby

Update on my cocker spaniel

Post by jazzybaby »

I just wanted to post an update on my cocker spaniel who is paralyzed in her hind end, last time she wagged her tail for the first in over a month. I know it is a small thing but it just made my day. I know she is improving each day, and I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has responsed to my post. But i'm still having a problem with her licking and chewing her paws. Could this be a sign feeling is coming back we have put baby socks on her paws to keep her chewing them until her new boots come in the mail.
smithpk85

Re: Update on my cocker spaniel

Post by smithpk85 »

That is great that she wagged her tail!!!! :lol: My Maggie wagged her tail for the first time after surgery on April 20. It was the sweetest thing! She now wags it all of the time. You will probably to continue to see improvement each day. Maggie seems to do a little more each day. I believe your baby is on her way to recovery.

I don't know much about the chewing on the feet. Maggie doesn't do that. Maggie occasionally licks her back feet, but she doesn't chew. Maybe someone else can give you some advice about that.

Thanks for posting the good news! :lol:
GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily

Post by GabrielDeafBlindPupFamily »

The licking and chewing could be in response to the tinglies that come with nerve regeneration. You know how it kind of hurts when your foot 'falls to sleep' ? I had several years of intense tinglies as a child when I severed half my foot. It was maddening. There is a salve, I believe, that can be applied to relieve, also cold packs. Also massage may help. Keep an eye on that. GREAT UPDATE!
Karen, Andy's ^i^ mom
Lethal White Aussies Rule!
INTERACTIVE RESCUE SITE!
http://www.s8.createphpbb.com/lethalwhiteauss/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LethalWhiteAussieRescue/
Christine

Post by Christine »

Such good news! I was searching around for the medication that I can NEVER remember the name of that some have used and found this thread with loads of great information for you.

In the meantime, here is a LOT of great information from some of our experts.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4959&p=26572&hilit ... ess#p26572

Here you go, this is from CarolC addressing this issue with someone else a while back:

"The chewing does not happen with every dog, and it is only a temporary stage that is sometimes part of recovery. There is a medication that will work for that problem. It is called Neurontin, the generic name is gabapentin."

Keep up the good work!
Christine... and Bailey, playing at the Bridge
?/1999 - 10/25/08
jazzybaby

Post by jazzybaby »

I just wanted to post another update, Jasmine is doing very well. Each day we see improvements and she went and saw her vet over the weekend and her vet was very happy with her improvement in the past 3 weeks. She starts water therapy on Saturday and still be doing laser therapy every other week. Thanks again for everyone kind ones and help.

stacy