paralyzed shih tzu

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
maxwell

I am giving up!

Post by maxwell »

I love my Maxwell but this is too much :( I won't have a real job 'till August and everytime I look up prices for some wheels for Maxwell I get so discouraged. He is still my Maxwell with the personality and all. But he drags and and it hurts my heart. I feel so helpless yet I am not looking for a pity party. I have the same routines expressing his bladder, baths, crate washing, etc.....It's too much and too heavy on my heart. Am I wrong for wanting to find a nice home for him? Is there such a thing?

Help!
Maxwell's Mommy!
Dianne

Re: paralyzed shih tzu

Post by Dianne »

We couldn't afford the surgery, tried the crate rest, and steroids for Schnitzel. He is now paralyzed and incontinent 4 1/2 years. It becomes a normal life. If you read my posts at about 6 weeks, I wanted to give up too. It's normal to feel that way.

The chances of finding an adoptable family for Maxwell are slim.

There are other options: such as building your own PVC wheelchair from Schedule 40 PVC, wheels from a salvaged baby stroller or child's toy, and parts from the helpful hardware men at Lowe's or Home Depot. Show them pictures of what you want to build. Cut and fit the PVC before gluing. Keep the height of the chair level with Maxwell's back. You don't want his full weight resting on his front legs, but want the back level so that the wheelchair shares some of his weight.

Here is a picture of Schnitzel in his homemade chair.
Attachments
Schnitzel 005.JPG
jazzybaby

Post by jazzybaby »

Maxwell's Mom

I know how you feel, I am fairly new to this two back on April 17th my 4 year old cocker spaniel went down and has not been able to walk since. We did do the surgery but we used up everything in savings to do it. And since then the cost keeps adding up from vet visits to pee pads and PT session. But in the end is worth it because after 2 and half months she is starting to show signs of recovery. You can start to do PT at home which will help him. And I look at it as long as he is healthy and happy otherwise there is no reason to give up hope. I know how you feel being overwelmed and it is very hard to watch as they move around but trust dogs do much better than people overcoming this things. There have been days I just wanted to sit down and cry but then I look at my baby and see a light in her eye. I agree with Dianne that you could look into making a cart as buy one is costly that is why we have not gotten one for my baby yet we had to choose between PT and the cart so we are waiting to see how she comes along. You could also try a sling to help him walk that is what i have been using it works well. Good luck and just keep the faith.

Stacy
smithpk85

Post by smithpk85 »

Hello. I just wanted to say that I have been where you are. There were days that I thought I was not going to be able to continue taking care of my Maggie. It has been 14 weeks since Maggie went down and everyday there is more improvement and you just adapt to the daily care. The daily care for Maggie continues to get easier. There are sometimes accidents to clean up and it is time consuming, but it is so much easier now than it was 8 weeks ago. Don't give up right now - it is way too soon for that. Just think back at how far Maxwell has come in the past 6 weeks. You will probably be suprised at how much more progress he will make in the next 6 weeks and how much easier taking care of him will be. You eventually get into a routine and you don't think of it being a hassle anymore - it is just part of your day and it is so REWARDING! (Those little tail waggings and sweet kisses :lol: ) Hang in there! :D

Pam
rosalind50

Post by rosalind50 »

Great reading all these posts..just found this section. My dog is Dewy and he is on week nine. He has recently begun licking his paws and growled at me when I tried to do PT the other day. When I sling him his legs go forward an and has bladder control. Starting Hydrotherapy and I just bought a pool to work with him in it as he is too big for bathtub.

Thx so much for all the shares! :thankyou: