What to do with Oscar... (long!)

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
critters
Founding Member

Re: What to do with Oscar... (long!)

Post by critters »

Fact is, one of the critter rehabby companies sells thermoplastic kits and a video. I THINK it's the people that do Dorsi-Flex, which I was looking at for Koi.
Debbie-Spain

Post by Debbie-Spain »

Sorry I haven't been around for such a long time. We had a terrible snowstorm in March of this year that left us days without electricity etc. and ever since then I just never seem to have managed to catch up with everything.

We finally got Oscar into a wheelchair and he was adopted in Holland in January, I took him there to his fantastic new family. After Oscar left, I took in Boby, a 1-year-old GSD cross who had been shot. The bullet passed through his spinal cord, leaving him paralysed. When he was picked up from an industrial area he had been dragging himself around some time and his feet were in a bad way. A few days later, before he came to me, he actually ate one of his back feet, so his leg had to be amputated about halfway up. He was a happy dog though, but quite difficult to look after because he was always attacking his other foot (until his wounds finally healed, took months!).

Anyway, in July, Boby was adopted by the same family in Holland who had adopted Oscar. They have a foundation for animals with problems so have veterinary help at home etc., and are really wonderful people, the dogs live in the house. Here's a photo of the two of them on their first wheelchair walk together, it's funny to see them together because they both lived with me, Oscar for a year and a half and Boby for 4 months, but they never met until Boby got to Holland...

Hope you like the pics of them. Am trying to reduce the number of fosters I have here so that I can tackle new projects, so I hope that I can visit the board more often, I have missed you all!

Debbie
Kat's Club for Disabled Pets in Spain
www.elclubdekat.org
janew

Post by janew »

Debbie,
Those pictures glow with how happy they are to be alive & loved!!! YOU DO GREAT STUFF!!! Really AMAZING...
jane
CarolC

Post by CarolC »

Ohmygosh, Debbie! You found a home for Oscar!!!??? :ecstatic: That is too wonderful!! Happy for Oscar and you! It must have done a job on your nerves, taking care of the German shepherd, being so worried all the time he would chew again. That would be so hard, never being able to relax, always on alert. I am glad you can relax again finally. The people of Holland are amazing. In spite of the size of the country, the Nederlands translation of the expressing article has 11,588 views, which is more than any other language besides English. If your adopters have a website, I'd love to see it.

You have taken the most difficult cases and made a go of it. Nothing but admiration for that. A lot of knowledge and good judgment, but also a whole lot of plain, unremitting, hard work. Hats off to you! :trophy: