Trooper & I are new here

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
troopersmommy

Trooper & I are new here

Post by troopersmommy »

I've been rescuing animals for over 40 years and have had numerous handicapped pets. But Trooper is my first paralyzed rescue. I found him in the middle of the street after a "hit & run" accident that left this feral kitty partially paralyzed. I called my husband, (who came to my rescue once again) and we managed to get him home. We observed him for 24 hrs. thinking he'd die during the night - that was 4 weeks ago. I didn't take him to the vet to avoid the usual "probably should put him down" diagnosis. We have rehabilitated numerous animals with love, patience, knowledge from past experiences, vet care when required and lots of faith. Our home seems to be a "healing home". Anyway, now that I've found this site and the solutions to some of the difficulties I've encountered (diapers, special beds, comfort pads, etc.) I think Trooper will be able to live as the pampered baby he deserves to be. The toughest obstacle now is to get him to trust me. He can "pee and poop" on his own, but requires constant cleaning to avoid raw spots and sores. (I think the diapers will help here.) He can move his back legs a little, but is unable to stand. His upper half looks completely normal, beautiful orange and white fur, very alert green eyes, but his back half is getting thin from muscle atrophy. He is actually allowing me to wash his back legs, hind quarters and tail- very cautiously. He didn't eat or drink water for the first 2 days, but now is actually a little piggy. He eats more than any of my other kitties. I haven't introduced him to the other cats yet, until he gets used to me and his new "life". If anyone has any suggestions or ideas to offer, I would gladly receive them. This is definitely a "one day at a time" learning experience for both of us. :)
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"
"Sometimes..When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

Words I live by from "Velveteen Rabbit"
critters
Founding Member

Re: Trooper & I are new here

Post by critters »

:whale: Sounds a lot like what happened to my Buddy. Koi, my current semi-paraplegic, gets spots on his L foot, which is contracted under. I get shoes custom-made for him. Buddy wore diapers without complaint, but Koi, the leaky boy, won't.

Did you use any steroids for him? He's made a remarkable recovery so far!!
grovrat

Post by grovrat »

Hi! I recently was involved in a situation where a paralyzed cat and her kitten who were pulled from a Los Angeles shelter. Please see this YouTube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdIBtw8_7No

This woman is very generous with her time and is glad to offer suggestions and advice.

There are many youtube videos featuring paralyzed cats and although I haven't watched them all I bet it would be worth your time.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f

Good luck and bless you for helping this baby!
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

:red: grovrat!
grovrat

Post by grovrat »

Why, thank you, critters!
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Thank you all so much for your welcomes and suggestions. The youtube video "grovrat" recommended showing how the woman cares for her paralyzed kitty is great! It gives me a lot to of great ideas for ramps, condos, etc. I want to ask her about the food she gets for him. My audio is not the greatest on my laptop, but it sounded like she said the food allows an odorless, waterless "poop" that looks like olive pits. This would be great along with diapers (which I ordered last night). Got off work early today and bought several washable dog beds and plush crate liners, until I can afford one of the beds on this site.

"Critters", you mentioned trying steroids. In what form? and do I need to get it from a vet? or order online? I read where I can use desitin ointment on any raw spots. Good idea or not?

My husband is building him a special "care" unit in the room Trooper has now (an extra bedroom). Moved all furniture to one side and making a pen with smooth flooring he can drag himself on without scraping skin and fur off. He still likes to hide and I can't hold him yet, but I can clean him. What solution should I use to wipe his back legs, tail and hindquarters with? We're building him a "hidy-hole" that he can crawl in and feel safe till he trusts us. Should I still wait to introduce my other cats? Trooper & I say :thankyou:
"When a child loves you for a long, long time...REALLY loves you, then you become Real." " Does it hurt?"

grovrat

Post by grovrat »

Mommy, that IS what she said about the poops, and if I recall correct she feeds an all-natural diet. Lots of stuff on the internet about how to do that; check the yahoo group rawcat or rawcats.
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Thanks Grovrat for the confirmation on the food. I'll go to the rawcat site next. Do you still have a paralyzed kitty? I've had so many cats with other issues, but never paralysis. Just knowing he survived and wants to be normal, makes him extra special to us. Once we get past the feral "taming", I know Trooper is going to truly be a momma's boy.

Critters said diapers worked for one cat, but not the other. Have you had luck with them? I wanted to ask Critters how often do I change the diapers. I feed and clean Trooper in the morning before work, wash all his bedding and towels. Then I'm gone all day from 9 to 5. Is it safe to leave a diaper on that long till I get home? I'll change it again after work and before bed. He doesn't always eat right away. Sometimes its a couple hours after I put it down. So he'll poop and pee during the night. What should I use to clean him - mild soap and water, or is there somthing better? :?:

Sorry for all the questions. I figure the sooner I learn everything, the sooner Trooper adjusts to a routine, so he can enjoy a life being totally spoiled and very loved. Thanks for all your patience.

grovrat

Post by grovrat »

Mommy, I have never had a paralyzed kitty. The one I sponsored went directly with her baby from the shelter to the vet and I believe she is still at the vet. They contacted me a few weeks ago and told me that she was going to be their "house cat" at the clinic.

My handicapped pet is Lucy, an elderly cat that was attacked or injured somehow as a kitten and is incontinent and has a bad hind leg and looks very much like Barbra Streisand.

I just love calling you Mommy.
grovrat

Post by grovrat »

PS It is my impression that it's not a good idea to leave a cat diapered all day but there are a lot more people with a lot more info than I have.
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Again, Grovrat thanks for the info. It's odd, but I've never been a "real" mommy (never wanted children, just pets) so being called "mommy" sounds really cool. I don't know why I chose that for a username, but it just seemed perfect for Trooper because he most definitely needs a full time mommy. I'm glad to hear your little paralyzed guy gets to be the house cat at the vet. They get lots of love and attention.

Sounds like your Lucy is in good hands too, poor baby. Its amazing how well they handle traumatic situations. Wish we humans did as well. I had a Lucy once upon a time. Good name choice. Mine was a great little dog, but she didn't look anything like Barbara Streisand. Do you have any photos posted? I'd love to see the resemblance. :wink:

Well, back to Trooper...I thought I was past the point of taking in any more animals. But I made a pact with God that if he places a helpless animal in my path, I will not hesitate to help. Guess he decided it was time to expand my pet healing powers (lucky for Trooper, huh?) I know one thing, I'm going to have to set up one heck of a will in case something happens to me or my husband. Or I'll have to win the lottery and establish a pet sanctuary for lifelong pet security. :smart:

I'll look into the diaper question before I start using them. Thanks again. Can I call you G-rat, or would that offend you? :lol:

critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

If you use diapers, you'll want to use a barrier, such as Cavilon, on th

If you use diapers, you'll need to use Cavilon or another barrier on his skin. If you use butt cream, you'll need to keep him from licking it because zinc can be poisonous. Butt baths and butt wipes can be a big help!!

Pred is the usual steroid, and it'd probably have to come from the vet. I just thought you might keep some around, like we do here.

You and hubby are GREAT!!
Jean

Post by Jean »

Hi,
No one has mentioned this so I want to make you aware of this possiblility. You mentioned that your kitty can pee and poop by himself but needs to be continually cleaned. Have you had him evaluated by a Vet ?
Many people new to caring for paralyzed pets think that they have the ability to eliminate by themselves. But, that is often not the case. Oftentimes, they are continually leaking because their bowel and bladder is so distended that they are overflowing. Overtime, this can cause life threatening problems because urine left in a bladder is a breeding ground for life threatening infections. In addition, bowels that become distended can lead to life threatening problems as well. The leading cause of death in people and pets with paralysis is bladder infections and bowel obstructions.
I would suggest that you have your kitty evaluated by your vet.
Even if he has bowel and bladder control which I strrongly doubt it would still be advisable to express his bladder and empty his colon to prevent all the problems associated with skin infections and skin break down. If you learn to adequately empty him then there will be nothing to leak out and your kitty will be much healthier.
grovrat

Post by grovrat »

Girl, if I can call you "Mommy" you certainly can call me G-rat!

I had an absolutely perfect Barbra Streisand-like photo of Lucy but it somehow got deleted. :( Some day I'll get another ...
troopersmommy

Post by troopersmommy »

Yes Critters, I do have that pred around, among tons of other meds, leftover from endless trips to the vet. In fact, because I'm always rescuing "critters", they give me extra to keep for emergencies, until I can get in. (Thanks for suggesting it.) Oh, and good news! This morning (to my utter amazement) I noticed that the sore spots have virtually disappeared overnight and his fur is fluffier. Then it dawned on me! Yesterday my hunny replaced the tiled floor in Trooper's room with smooth linoleum for easier clean-up. (He's such a good dad!) The new flooring apparently makes for easier scooting too. Smoother flooring plus allowable butt baths equal a healthier, happier Trooper. I may not need diapers at all. Yea!!! Thanks again Critters (love that name) for caring and sharing.