My dog may have FCE. Some ideas.

Neurological Disorders Resources. Treatment and care for pets having pain or trouble walking or standing due to spinal injuries or neurological disorders like IVDD, FCE and DM.
mortimer

My dog may have FCE. Some ideas.

Post by mortimer »

Hello,

It's Wednesday.

Monday night, Tank (a 7 year old shepard/chow mix, shepard face and color with a curly tail) gave a yelp and started dragging his rear right paw. Not having any idea what would cause this I checked him for pain. None. I gave him one of my Glucosamine/Chrondriten/MSM pills as a just in case. He actually likes them.

Not going to the emergency room might have been a mistake. I've read that there is a steroid style shot that seems to help if administered withing 8 hours. I didn't know.

Tuesday morning we go to the vet. She takes a look at him. Does more refined pain testing (got his attention) and told me that it was either FEC (and explained what that meant) or a disc problem. Prescribed Prednisone (a steriod) in case of the disc possibility and suggested that we limit his mobility for 14 days or so. Have an appointment set up for 14 days later. Also said, after I asked, that he should get two the MSM pills per day. I use them for my knees. Your mileage will vary. He is about 70 pounds (1000 mg of glucosamine). Ask your vet.

One of the most depressing days of my life.

Back to Wednesday... Went out and got some tube socks and a set of the REI Dog Adventurer booties to protect his, now, upside down paw. They work well. I considered getting some here but didn't want to wait for shipping. The booties fit without the socks. I can wear the socks. Tank is peeing and pooping on his own. Lifts his tail when he poops.

This is the reason that I decided to post here... I read somewhere that someone suggested cutting up a canvas bag to help the dog walk. A good idea. A better one for me was to use a canvas firewood carrier and a pillow. Saves the time of cutting out the zipper, etc.

Thank you for having this site.

Jack

Edit: He seems to drink and eat a *lot* more on the steroid. Not really a bad thing.
critters
Founding Member

Re: My dog may have FCE. Some ideas.

Post by critters »

:slant: Koi, my spinal cord injured boy, wears shoes too. More eating/drinking and pooping/peeing is normal with steroids.

Glad you can wear the socks; that's seldom true here. :mrgreen:
mortimer

Post by mortimer »

Well, the socks were my size. Might have looked a bit funny on Tank. Think of a dog wearing white socks that mostly cover his legs.

It's been 3 days. He is moving around a *lot* better than I expected. Still dragging the paw. Has gotten the circle around before laying down part back. Laid on his back to get his belly scratched for while. Managed to sit up by himself for a while. He may have some feeling in the damaged leg. I touched it and got a look. Could also be wishful thinking on my part.

We'll see. He's still my bud.
mortimer

Post by mortimer »

Tank is doing much better. Still dragging the paw. Notices when I touch the lame leg. Able to run. Fingers crossed (mine, not his).
mortimer

Post by mortimer »

It's Saturday. Still dragging the paw. He tried to go up stairs today. I stopped him. I don't want him hurt further. He may have moved the foot by himself. Not sure.

Does anyone think that manipulating the lame paw could cause problems? Trying to avoid stiffness.
critters
Founding Member

Post by critters »

Manipulating it is fine, and watch the dragging paw for damage. Koi's was infected when he got here. Have you read the sticky post at the top of the bb? Some of the IVDD exercises may be useful.
mortimer

Post by mortimer »

The dragging paw is the reason I got the dog boots. Rather have it get scratched up than the top of his paw.
mortimer

Post by mortimer »

Well, it's been a week. Fortunately Tank seems to be getting better. He usually gets his paw down the way that it should. I can tell that he is pushing with the damaged leg. He is not laying down as much as he was. He is able to climb stairs, awkwardly, and run. Actually his biggest issues are difficulty on smooth surfaces (boot related?) and a leg quiver when tired.
Caroline

Post by Caroline »

Welcome,
My 98 pound boxer had a FCE the paralysis was in all four legs the first week. His injury was in his neck.
Bottom line is a FCE is nerve damage and they take a long time to heal. However it sounds like your dog is doing great.
Tank Just needs time to build up his muscle strenghth and reajust to walking with the nerves once they re-route. this is called the spinal walk.
Best of luck to you and Tank
Caroline

Every dog is a lion at home.
---H.G.Bohn
mortimer

Post by mortimer »

Tank is doing very well. Able to walk and climb stairs. Not really graceful at either yet. He usually puts the paw down correctly. May need to train him to do it all of the time. Has a lot of trouble on smooth surfaces. He'll figure it out. Has lost some weight and muscle strength. Have an appointment with the Vet next Tuesday. Then we get to start some walks, etc.
Jacko's Mum

Post by Jacko's Mum »

Hi there - welcome to the site.

My dog Jackson also had an FCE and lost all feeling in his back paws. Jackson was a determined dog, but I think there were a few things that really helped his recovery - which may be helpful to you too.

I did as much physio with him as I could manage, from very early after the injury (ps - make sure you are sure it is an FCE as other spinal injuries require rest) Physio Time for Jackson was a big game and he loved it! I spent quite a bit on physiotherapists, and would be happy to share a list of the exercises they recommended if it would be helpful for you.

Before he had any movement in his back legs, I would take him out with a sling for short walks, I think this helped him mentally. The happier he was, the more determined he got.

I got the boots - you've already done this so that seems like a great step. They stopped Jackson from getting leg spasms from sensory overload and allowed him to walk unaided outside which eventually built up strength. We have carpet inside at home so he doesn't need them there.

After about 3 months, I did take him to hydrotherapy and accupuncture done by an amazing animal physiotherapist, here in Sydney. The hydrotherapy was fantastic but unfortunately I had to go at 6:30am before work and it was about half an hour drive from my home. I suspect more frequent visits and he may have made even more improvement. I'm not sure if the accupuncture worked - he certainly didn't enjoy it, but he loved the massage before and after - and was sooooo excited to go each week to see the physiotherapist so I was more than happy to try it.

I remember how I felt the day it happened, the days, weeks and months that followed. There was a lot of guilt, loads of tears but event though he is wobbly, he is a very happy and fun loving pooch.

Thoughts are with you.

Lee
mortimer

Post by mortimer »

Tank is getting better each day. His mobility is about 90% of original. Took him out in the from yard today. He loves to roll around in the grass. There are still a couple of things that he does not do that he used to do. Examples being; he is not sleeping on his back or rearing like a horse.

I am feeling very fortunate with his recovery. I have read some much worse stories and feel for those affected. Have a vet appointment Tuesday.
Jacko's Mum

Post by Jacko's Mum »

90% is excellent. Great news! Good luck at the vet.

Lee
mortimer

Post by mortimer »

Thank you. I wonder how long it will take him to get his strength back. He tires easily.
mortimer

Post by mortimer »

The dog is sleeping. This is the first time since the incident that I've seen him sleep run. Using *both* rear legs. Woo Hoo!